PDA

View Full Version : BBQed Turkey

Troutman65
11-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Its almost Thanksgiving and I thought I would post this up. I use a 22" Webber Kettle that burns coals. Place apox. 25 coals off to one side of the kettle. On the other side of the ketle place a drip pan. Light the coals.

As for the turkey I like to use a 12 to 15 pounder for space reasons of the lid fitting correctly.

Clean out the inside if the turkey ( Neck , and Gibblets etc. ) Do not stuff the turkey with stuffing. You can make some in the oven or stove top separate.
Cut a pice of foil and place the turkey on it. Make sure its enough to wrap the turkey up .
Salt & Pepper and place bacon strips across the turkey.

When the coals are ashed over place the turkey onto the grill away from the heat. This would be grilled indirect heat method. You will have to place new coals every 2 hours or as needed to grill the turkey. You figure grill 40 min. per pound. After the turkey has an hour to go pull back the foil on the turkey and baste the bird with butter and let the skin brown for the final hour or so.

I have done many a turkey on the grill and its tasty. It does have the BBQ smokey flavor to it. Different than cooking in your oven.

Enjoy.

Troutman65
11-18-2008, 04:20 PM
So this post got me to get some Yardbird ( half chicken ) out and fire up the grill. I also am going to grill some pork chops. :Big Grin:

Grillin & Chillin

BIGRED KILLA
11-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks Patrick,i will have to try this when i am older or so lol.

Bigred

troutdog
11-18-2008, 04:24 PM
"its whats for dinner" :LOL:

TD

one_leg
11-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Do you add any wood chips to the coals?

Troutman65
11-19-2008, 04:13 AM
Do you add any wood chips to the coals?

I do sometimes.

one_leg
11-19-2008, 07:38 AM
But never any liquid smoke, right?

Troutman65
11-19-2008, 10:08 AM
But never any liquid smoke, right?

I might add liquid smoke to a bbq sace I would be making from scratch. thats about it

canusmellwhat i'mhookin
11-24-2008, 03:57 PM
1 gal. hot water
1 pound kosher salt
2 quarts vegetable stock
1 pound honey
1 7lb. bag of ice
1 15-20lb. turkey
vegetable oil,for rubbing turkey

combine hot water and the salt in a 54 quart cooler and stir until the salt dissolves.stir in vegetable stock and honey then add the ice and stir.put turkey in the brine,breast side up,and cover with cooler lid.brine overnight, up to 12 hours.
remove turkey from brine and dry thoroughly.rub the bird with the vegetable oil.

heat grill to 400 degrees F.
make 2 smoking pouches using aluminum foil put the chips in the middle i use cherry wood but you can use whatever you like.put one directly over coals or metal bars in a gas grill. put turkey over indirect heat. put meat in thickest part of breast and look for 160 degrees.
close lid cook 1 hour check bird and replace smoke pouch with the 2nd one.and cook another hour when the skin color is to you liking cover with foil and cook til you reach 160 degrees take bird out cover and let sit 30 mins. to an hour then carve it up.

you can also use the oven but don't use smoke pouches.

i've used this recipe many times and its always great.and many friends have asked for the recipe by the way its courtesy of elton brown at food network tv

GeordyBass
11-24-2008, 05:16 PM
i've used this recipe many times and its always great.and many friends have asked for the recipe by the way its courtesy of elton brown at food network tvI figured since you said "kosher salt"...lol...Alton Brown is hands down my fav. Chef,,,i think i saw this episode too!

joey chaos
11-26-2008, 07:58 PM
smoked on the bbq ,it awesome! doing a 22 lb. turkey this year, i do them on a texas style smoker/bbq, inject it,and then spay it with apple juice every half hour or so,to keep it moist(doesnt hurt to throw a can of beer on the grill), this also is great for pork butt/shoulder to ,comes out moist!! then towards the end baste it with bbq sauce .

Badfish2
11-27-2008, 02:12 AM
sounds really good man, take pictures of the process if you can.