PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Exhibit Now At Manzanar

Fear No Trout
04-15-2007, 02:37 PM
As many of you know I will be giving a lecture and a walking tour about the internees that snuck out of the barbed wire to go trout fishing while they were incarcerated during WWII at Manzanar on Sunday April 29th and Monday April 30th, 2007.

I have just return on April 14th from Manzanar and they now have a permanent exhibit of my fishing artifacts on display for the rest of the year for people to view.

This is a link to O.C. Register Article in the Sport Section, Tuesday, April 24th, 2007.
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sp ... 667456.php (http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/ocoutdoors/abox/article_1667456.php)

Cory Shiozaki...aka....Fear No Trout
Docent Manzanar National Historic Site & Interpretvie Center

Dave92706
04-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Cory, Congratulations ! I know you worked hard to on this project and its story tells all of us just how important the simple things we take for granted like fishing. These people risked their lives to enjoy a simple act of freedom. Kudos to you brother .
Dave Finkelstein
Clubfish Chartermember
http://www.clubfish.org

P.S. Marlon says congradulations as well

soulsurfer
04-15-2007, 03:12 PM
thank you for keeping the history and stories of Manzanar fresh in our minds.

sansou
04-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Good stuff Cory! :thumb:

one_leg
04-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Cory,
I really dig the picture of the gentleman holding up his stringer of trout.
In addition to photos of their families, I imagine those pictures were
some of their most cherished possesions after they were released.
We are lucky to have the pictures of Toyo Miyatake.
Thanks,
One_Leg

brn2fis
04-15-2007, 06:21 PM
This is a fantastic project, hope they add more.

Big Country
04-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Congrats Cory...You have really accomplished a lot with this project.

Please check your PM from me.

socalfisherman
04-15-2007, 08:39 PM
that's pretty cool they did that. i learn something today

greg
04-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Cory - I was just at the exhibit two weeks ago on the way up to Mammoth to ski with the family. I'll have to stop by and check out the display for the Opener. Fishing is a way of life. Great Job !!!

-- Greg --

DreStyle
04-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Hey Cory ... That's pretty awesome man ...

Carrie
04-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Now this is pretty awesome! I have been to Manzanar before but didn't hear about the fishing project until talking to fellow FNN members. This is great! It is good that they have artifacts on display and some preservation here. The stories of fisherman is definitely another part of history that is important to hear as well.

I did archaeology as an undergrad and we had to go to this site for a field trip while I was gettin my bachelors degree. The museum is awesome! Now u have a collection to add to it. Nice!

I definitely would love to come out there and hear your lecture. I will see what I can do with my schedule and try and go. :D

Carrie
04-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Cory!!

THANKS FOR THE EMAIL! I have been looking to do some more excavating! That PM totally rocked. I will see if I can get out there for a few days!! I have work but heck yes!! I took an archaeological field school off San Clemente Island previously where we studied the mariners or people called Quinquina. We found their fish hooks made out of Abalone shell and sheeps head bone they ate.

Anyways, hope to see u at Manzanar!

:D

greeper
04-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Congrats Cory, glad to see you've come so far. It's seems like yesterday ya taught me your secret FNT rig with the worm.. Did you ever get the video complete, I'll be teaching about the internment camps next week.

Fear No Trout
04-18-2007, 02:11 AM
Congrats Cory, glad to see you've come so far. It's seems like yesterday ya taught me your secret FNT rig with the worm.. Did you ever get the video complete, I'll be teaching about the internment camps next week.

Greeper,

Thanks for the kind words...indeed this project has allowed me to preserved stories that have not been told as well as given me a the chance to pay tribute to my ancestry for enduring such a difficult time in a dark period of American history.

If you need any facts or resources, contact me. You may even consider organizing a field trip for the school.

In regards to the my film, I am currently waiting to hear from CCLPEP about whether I will receive a grant. I will know next month. I will definitely keep all the FNNer's in the loop if I get funded....Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Regards,

Cory....Fear No Trout

greeper
04-18-2007, 11:38 PM
thanks for the update Cory, as for the field trip, we talked about that, but it'd be too much. I'll probably just stop by in a few weeks when I head up there and take lots of pix and video.. take care and hope to see ya up there at Crowley.

Mr Bendo
04-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Congratulations Cory!!!!!! Hope to see you on the waters sometime? :thumb:

troutmagnet
04-28-2007, 08:55 AM
hey, my Grandpa was in that internment camp, i wrote a school essay on it.

E.A.R.G.
05-09-2007, 09:29 PM
hey Corey,
I remember you talking about that last time at Irvine

Congratulations X 1000!

keep up the great work!

Fear No Trout
05-09-2007, 10:20 PM
hey, my Grandpa was in that internment camp, i wrote a school essay on it.

Did he used to go fishing while he was incarcerated?

What was his name and "Block address"?

Fear No Trout

sierraslam
05-10-2007, 10:52 AM
I drove through Manzanar and did not see the exibit. Did the drive tour though. Really makes you think. This a great country but we have and do make mistakes. Is the exibit in the building? I'll spend more time there next trip. thanks for you hard work and dedication. good fishin1

Fear No Trout
05-10-2007, 05:51 PM
I drove through Manzanar and did not see the exibit. Did the drive tour though. Really makes you think. This a great country but we have and do make mistakes. Is the exibit in the building? I'll spend more time there next trip. thanks for you hard work and dedication. good fishin1

Indeed, it's inside the building. This building is the only original structure that remained after the closing of the camp. It was originally the gymnsium/auditorium. After the war, it was use by Caltrans to store vehicles. In 2004 and after spending 5.1 million dollars, it was reopened as the Manzanar National Historic Site and Interpretive Center as part of the National Park Service.

Below is the exhibit inside the building.

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/exhibitcase.jpg

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/display3jpg.jpg

Also inside are two 30 seat theaters and lots of mulit-media shows. They show a 22 minute movie called Remembering Manzanar every half hour. A replica of what the inside of the barrack look like and a lot of worthwhile attractions. You can easily spend a couple of hours inside. The interpretive center is open daily from 9 am to 5:30 pm.

Fear No Trout

sierraslam
05-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks for info! I'll be going back up in 2 weeks. I'll stop again forsure.

nellkev
05-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Cory, I'll have to stop in and check it out when I'm up there the end of the month. Very nice work, keep it up. I hope your movie gets the go ahead. Keep fishing. Thanks for the updates.

Carrie
05-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Cory,

Ur work at Manzanar was great to see! I really enjoyed the exhibits and seeing yours as well. Richard, whom I met while on the dig, told me about ur walking tour more in depth. I went and explored the museum since I was on the dig. I went this whole week and met half the staff there and the main archaeologists on site. It was a blast! I def. got some good fishing in so I will post my report in depth of that as well as pics of the dig we coducted in Block 9. This dig has led me to a possible volunteer opportunity at Mazanar over the summer to help with the oral history and teaching curriculum or a possible internship so I hope to meet you up there sometime. :lol:

Fear No Trout
05-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Cory,

Ur work at Manzanar was great to see! I really enjoyed the exhibits and seeing yours as well. Richard, whom I met while on the dig, told me about ur walking tour more in depth. I went and explored the museum since I was on the dig. I went this whole week and met half the staff there and the main archaeologists on site. It was a blast! I def. got some good fishing in so I will post my report in depth of that as well as pics of the dig we coducted in Block 9. This dig has led me to a possible volunteer opportunity at Manzanar over the summer to help with the oral history and teaching curriculum or a possible internship so I hope to meet you up there sometime. :lol:

Carrie,

I happened to run into the Ranger Alisa Lynch (Chief of Interpretation) from Manzanar, at the Getty Museum on Friday. She had told me how delighted she was and how the staff at the Manzanar National Historic Site and Interpretive Center deeply appreciated your enthsuiasm as a volunteer.

Kudos for you involvement with the dig. I plan to visit Manzanar National Historic Site and Interpretive Center on Monday, May 14th. I will then fish Crowley on 15th, 16th and 17th. I will make a full fishing report with photos when I return by Saturday.

I am thrilled that you were able to assist them in the dig. I have received many compliements from the staff about your eagerness and willingness to help them in different capacities beside the archelogical digging. Keep up the good work and I too hope to meet you personally.

Best regards,

Cory....aka...Fear No Trout

mx4life
05-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Thats pretty sweet ill have to check it out on my way up to bishop this weekend!