PDA

View Full Version : Crowley lake road closures.

retired96
11-18-2008, 08:17 AM
I just read on the Sierra Wave website that the DWP closed access to the north side of the lake by placing cement barriers. This was the dirt road that led to Green Banks area.
They state the reason was to bar those with boats that might not be inspected for the Quaggas Snail.

I know that this past season they had someone at the dirt road off of Benton Crossing charging 5.00 to drive to the lake. They usually did that for opening weekend, but this season they were there for the entire season. They were being paid by Crowley lake fish camp.

I can see alot of unhappy fishermen next year if the road continues to be closed.

www.sierrawave.net

seal
11-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Hmmm, probably will re-open when they start the 5 buck think again nest season. What about Leighton Springs/Alligator point?

Flying
11-19-2008, 03:30 AM
Its only closed because the season is closed. Actually I think they shut it down a few weeks early.

The other side never had a check point. I guess there is no good place to launch a boat over there. I don't really know where you would launch at Green banks/North landing area either. Did people actually do this in the past?

Devious 1
11-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Retired - There is more than one road that will take you to Greenbanks. The first turnoff where they charge the $5 is the most widely known and used. There is actually a faster way to get there via another dirt road without the $5 fee. PM me for more info. if you are interested.

retired96
11-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I know all the roads that lead to Crowley Lake, But I very very rarely fish there.

Big Country
11-19-2008, 05:23 PM
They closed the road when the marina/fish camp closed at the end of October.

The $5 fee (although it is minimal) is kind of bs, but it sure beats paying the $30 to $40 to launch at the marina and dock your boat overnight. A $5 spot shouldn't really be complained about because it is much worse at the marina.

Also, if it helps in the prevention of the little muscles then everyone and their mother should be up for it.

EMarty
11-20-2008, 10:36 PM
All the roads on the north side where blocked last weekend. First time I heard the mussel excuse being used. Sounds similar to the terror threat at Hawiee? All the roads that are blocked off are on DWP land. The Leighton Springs access road is on BLM land and remains open. I guess BLM doesn’t care about the mussels?

I think it just more BS from DWP and the crooks running the Fish Camp. DWP is systematically reducing access throughout the valley. I don't think many folks care about the $5 fee, but why close the lake with two weeks left in the season, and maybe the best two weeks at that.

The boys over at the fish camp have no idea how to market and run a business. Crowley is the crown jewel of the Sierra's and these guys chased more folks away then they ever attract. I a bunch of float tubers made that long drive up 395 this fall only to find the accessed blocked? Where do you think they'll be come opener? I know where I’ll be… Bridgeport.

Badfish2
11-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Crowley has a ton of fish in there, it's just too bad there's all these people established around the lake that want to charge.. (Crowley fish camp) etc It's the sierras for crying out loud, and they are trying to turn it into Jenks lake or sarl

retired96
11-21-2008, 06:33 AM
When I first saw the 5 buck charge to enter from the north side, I just figured the city of LA is hard up for money. I refuse to pay the DWP or the city one cent to fish. How long before they start charging to fish the Owens River.

Sierra_Smitty
11-22-2008, 10:25 AM
EMarty - your response really got me fired up and I coud not allow some of your comments to go unaddressed.

All the roads on the north side where blocked last weekend. First time I heard the mussel excuse being used. Sounds similar to the terror threat at Hawiee? All the roads that are blocked off are on DWP land. The Leighton Springs access road is on BLM land and remains open. I guess BLM doesn’t care about the mussels?

BLM has nothing to lose by the mussels getting in....DWP has millions, possibly billions(over time) in damage if they infiltrate the entire system from Crowley south to LA. DWP has everything to lose, hence their stance on keeping mussels out. This is very different situation than what we saw at Haiwee (which was total BS). This mussel situation is an enormous threat to the functionality and the ecosystem at Crowley Lake, Owens River, PVR, Tinehama and on down the line. Those two things alone bring in tens of millions of dollars in revenue to the Sierra and should be protected at all cost. Besides....the Fish Camp folks didn't have to staff the north landing at all if they didn't want to. Thankfully, even though they probably only broke even or perhaps sustained a small loss by staffing the road for most of the season, they did it. DWP is not out for the angler. They don't care about us. They care about water and power. Luckily they do worry to a certain degree about how they are perceived by the public, which is the only reason they bother to allow such open access to the majority of their land holdings.

I think it just more BS from DWP and the crooks running the Fish Camp. DWP is systematically reducing access throughout the valley. I don't think many folks care about the $5 fee, but why close the lake with two weeks left in the season, and maybe the best two weeks at that.

The guy running the fish camp is anything but a crook. He's just a guy trying to make a living up there and is more over a barrel by DWP than you or I will ever be. It doesn't make much sense to pay someone to guard a road after your business is closed for the season does it? What moron would do that? I don't agree with everything John does but I would guess that even at $5 per entry, the pressure is so light on that road after October ends that it wouldn't even pay for a minimum wager to stay there to monitor access 24 x 7. Plus...trust me when I say this, after 6 months or more of the sierra fishing season, business owners and workers are ready for a break and keeping someone on that job through 11/15 is just another headache and a profit-less headache at that. Besides, do you think anyone would bother to thank them if they did go through the extra effort? No, no they wouldn't so why would they?

The boys over at the fish camp have no idea how to market and run a business. Crowley is the crown jewel of the Sierra's and these guys chased more folks away then they ever attract. I a bunch of float tubers made that long drive up 395 this fall only to find the accessed blocked? Where do you think they'll be come opener? I know where I’ll be… Bridgeport.

That comment is WAY off target. The current ownership has done more for the fishery at Crowley than anyone has ever done, ever. You can thank the current ownership for all of those derbies which draw such public interest and tourism dollars to the area. You can thank the current ownership for all the enhancements to the fishery that have happened over the past decade. The DFG's treatment of the fishery as a priority is also due in large part to the exceptional relationship the current ownership of the marina there has with the DFG.

The current owner has invested an incredible incredible amount of money in the facilities there. Buildings, boats, docks, moorings, buoys...holy crap this guy and his crew are responsible for a massive number of physical improvements. I currently own 6 of the old Crowley rental boats....how someone legally rented them on that lake is beyond me, but dude, we are all far better off in the fleet they have now.

I'm sure all of us would have done a few things differently over the years but I very much doubt you or I or anyone else could have done an overall better job than they have. It's remarkable what they've done there. The operation there makes money off of tackle, boat rentals and moorings. If a few float tubers ignorant of how things really work in the area decide to head to Bridgeport instead of Crowley for the opener, who cares? Like there aren't enough people there already! hahaha!!!

seal
11-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Sierra Smitty, WELL DONE! Quite often in peoples effort to find someone to blame they target the wrong parties.

Thank you

retired96
11-22-2008, 04:49 PM
I have no love for the city of LA or the DWP and their owernship of all of the waters in the
Eastern Sierras. I highly recommend that fishermen read the book " Cadillac Desert" by Mark Reisner and learn the true history of the city of LA and our fishing waters in the Eastern Sierras.

The greed for water ruined and destroyed the entire Owens Valley. If they did today what they did 100 years ago, some people would be in Federal Prison..

billy b
11-22-2008, 06:34 PM
I've known John Fredrickson since he took over June Lake Marina and open a food stand next to the main bldg. He's always makes things classy, practical, and 1st class. Thanks for your good words, Smitty.

EMarty
11-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Smitty is right. I don't know John or all that he has done... For all I know he is a real stand-up guy. But my experiences at Crowley Fish Camp this year was BAD. As for the mussel, I've never seen anyone launch a boat from the mud shoreline at Greenbanks, Sandy Point or McGee Bay. I've seen more than a few trucks stuck in that mud. So I don't buy the story someone may launch from those sites. We still have access to the upper and lower Owens, seem the mussels could just as easily be introduced at those locations if there is any worry about wadding / float tubing anglers.

How about a simple sign installed at those road sites. At least a fisherman that just drove 4 hours to find the place all locked may understand. We where left with no explanation, so we drew our own conclusions... Can you really blame us?

I stand by my statement of chasing away more anglers then they attract. I've fished Crowley for the past eight opener and every November since the extended season. But no more. Do you think they rented more boats is 07 or 08? I'd bet on 07.

Sorry if I stepped on toes, but that is just how I feel. So, maybe I'm all wrong or maybe not, but make no mistake I'll be fishing somewhere else next spring and fall.

brant
11-22-2008, 10:23 PM
fished there today...all I can say is those DWP guys are arrogant bastards.

seal
11-23-2008, 07:34 AM
I have seen boats in years past launched in the Green banks area, although that was several years ago. There is a point, when water level is ok, that is very easy to launch from.

All waters, Sierra's and local, that could be affected are doing everything they can to avoid the snails. If they do get infested and then close to all boaters we would then be screaming about that. A little inconvenience or minimal extra expense to avoid that is well worth it in my opinion.

I agree though that information regarding the reason for closures should be given/posted to avoid some of the confusion.