PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Sand Bass Question

DEADROOTS
11-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Why aren't there any Spotties in Marina Del Rey, but are abundant in New Port Harbor?

BIGRED KILLA
11-17-2008, 09:45 PM
There are Spotties in MDR but your right they are more abundant in New Port Harbor Probably it has to do with more structure more bait bigger harbor diff water temps.

Bigred

surfnfish
11-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Oh theres spotties in Marina Del Rey, Big ones too. That bay just isnt as well known for them as Newps is. Try fishing deepdiving cranks or plastics along the rocky rip rap that lines the harbor out towards the mouth Gulp always works too. Thats what Me and my GF did last may at the end of a full day of Calicos on the outside, she landed one on Gulp Shrimp that went 3.7 on the digital scale and i hooked on thst was bigger... i think, but it broke me off just outta net range. We were only fishing 6#

DEADROOTS
11-17-2008, 10:15 PM
No kidding? Nice bass! So I should just keep trying? I still have not caught 1 and I have been going out to MDR once a week at least for 3 months now.

cappo
11-18-2008, 07:20 AM
i've caught my 1st spottie off of MDR jetty. I was amazed that they were in there.

Side note, their called spotted bay bass not sand bass.

sonarbp
11-18-2008, 08:12 AM

Hey cappo......just thought I might let you know that a spotted bay bass and spotted sand bass are the same fish! The Spotted Bay Bass, or Spotted Sand Bass, is a member of the Serrandae or Sea Bass and Grouper Family.

sonarbp

ghetto dad
11-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Hey cappo......just thought I might let you know that a spotted bay bass and spotted sand bass are the same fish! The Spotted Bay Bass, or Spotted Sand Bass, is a member of the Serrandae or Sea Bass and Grouper Family.

sonarbp

He didnt say they werent in the same family, he was just pointing out their non-harvard graduate scientific name....

GD

sonarbp
11-18-2008, 09:05 AM
He didnt say they werent in the same family, he was just pointing out their non-harvard graduate scientific name....

GD

Hey GD...I know Juan is pretty sharp when it comes to fish ID but in this case Spotties are actually called "spotted sand bass" but many people refer to them as spotted bay bass.

Who cares anyway?..............Spotties are one of the meanest little fish and put up one hell of a fight for there size!!!!

sonarbp

ghetto dad
11-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Hey GD...I know Juan is pretty sharp when it comes to fish ID but in this case Spotties are actually called "spotted sand bass" but many people refer to them as spotted bay bass.

Who cares anyway?..............Spotties are one of the meanest little fish and put up one hell of a fight for there size!!!!

sonarbp

im just playing brother.....and yes, they are really fun to catch.....have a good one...

GD

one_leg
11-18-2008, 09:14 AM
I call them spreckled harbor fish.

sonarbp
11-18-2008, 09:14 AM
You too GD!!

Always the comedian One_Leg!!!!!!

surfnfish
11-18-2008, 09:36 AM
i agree with sonarbp, spotties are some of the toughest fish out there. And its quite a rush hooking a toad on light line. Man, I need to get down to the bay!!!!

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-18-2008, 09:46 AM
They are there just clearly not in the great numbers that they are in Newport, I've got 'em in kings harbor as well...

Bassmaster818 got a real nice one when he went to marina with me about a month ago:

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=24554

I've caught only 3-4 there myself..at Marina
Gary

cappo
11-18-2008, 10:13 AM
well guess i was wrong. I'll be calling them spreckled harbor fish from now on.

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-18-2008, 10:22 AM
They are there just clearly not in the great numbers that they are in Newport, I've got 'em in kings harbor as well...

Bassmaster818 got a real nice one when he went to marina with me about a month ago:

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=24554

I've caught only 3-4 there myself..at Marina
Gary

oH NO ! since I've only caught a few there at Marina, this means the species is endangered !!!! we need to release every single one from here forth or the earths ballance will be affected and the earth will spin off it's axis....

Sorry for the thread jack....maybe I've had too much monster drink....or....not enough !
Maybe I just need to go fishing again....it's been all of 36 hours or better since my last hookup !

Matador1238
11-18-2008, 10:24 AM
I have caught many spotties in MDR.....day or night....mostly by fast retrieve with plastic.

victor101
11-18-2008, 02:57 PM
i've caught my 1st spottie off of MDR jetty. I was amazed that they were in there.

I thought they were called spider bass......

cappo
11-18-2008, 02:59 PM
hahaha i totally forgot about spider bass LMFAO

calico killer kevin
11-18-2008, 03:31 PM
I've seen someone catch one at Coronado Island down near San Diego. But I have only been to MDR once and that was to pick up my kayak.:Envious:

GeordyBass
11-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Me and Gary were slaying spotties both places!I caught one about 4 or 5lbs weeks ago....

BIGRED KILLA
11-18-2008, 05:56 PM
4 or 5 pounds i wanna see pixs.Nice spotty btw

Bigred

GeordyBass
11-18-2008, 06:03 PM
4 or 5 pounds i wanna see pixs.Nice spotty btw

Bigredhttp://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii127/thebassmaster818/vacationpics-1019.jpg
I also lost a real big bass that snapped my 17lb. test line like a knife through butter!Mdr produces lots of nice fish!

surfnfish
11-18-2008, 06:21 PM
4-5 lbs? I dunno bout that but thats still a toad spottie none the less. I have heard spotties are decent too eat, not endangered, but after hearing about all the pollutants in them you might glow in the dark. There's more fish up in that area than you'd think, you just gotta hit um right.

DEADROOTS
11-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Looks like I have to go and catch a spotted ? bass soon. It sounds like a blast.
I just remembered Gary's posting with the panty shot. Nice fishies!

GeordyBass
11-18-2008, 06:25 PM
4-5 lbs? I dunno bout that but thats still a toad spottie none the less. I have heard spotties are decent too eat, not endangered, but after hearing about all the pollutants in them you might glow in the dark. There's more fish up in that area than you'd think, you just gotta hit um right.i was estimating,it was thick though and had nice fillets!
thanks to Gulp!Alive!!!!!

surfnfish
11-18-2008, 06:38 PM
haha gulp is magic!!! Your fish def looks thick, real stocky. And I know how you feel loosin your pig. I broke off staight 20 braid and a crankbait on one of those big stubborn spotties in MDR. Tough tough fish. Whats your favorite bait in that area?

GeordyBass
11-18-2008, 08:02 PM
haha gulp is magic!!! Your fish def looks thick, real stocky. And I know how you feel loosin your pig. I broke off staight 20 braid and a crankbait on one of those big stubborn spotties in MDR. Tough tough fish. Whats your favorite bait in that area?Gulp!Alive Smelt minnow 4"....wish they had a bigger size!!

BIGRED KILLA
11-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Nice spotty i thought you landed that spottie on a sardine.I am soon going to hit MDR soon it is a lot closer to my house then the other harbors you guys ever go to VH or LBH nice halis there.

Bigred

GeordyBass
11-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Nice spotty i thought you landed that spottie on a sardine.I am soon going to hit MDR soon it is a lot closer to my house then the other harbors you guys ever go to VH or LBH nice halis there.

Bigredi cant remember,i had 1 rod with dines and one with gulp...i think i lost that big one with the 'dine...thanks for pointing that out though...

fishmounter
11-18-2008, 08:25 PM
These are the only bass that fights HARD in the water AND in the boat! After you have battled them on the line, you have to battle them to get your jig back! Seriously! They really do chomp down and won't let go! Plus if you set them down they curve their bodies and stick out ALL their spines! Because they are always swimming in an environment of constantly moving water currents, they are very strong and all muscle! I love these fish! The only thing I wish they would do is to jump like a freshwater bass! But they still are my favorite fish to catch. And yes, they are named Spotted Sand Bass.

surfnfish
11-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Fishmounter makes a good point, I've caught spotties on every teqnique normaly associated with LMB except for topwaters, would't that be awesome

GeordyBass
11-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Fishmounter makes a good point, I've caught spotties on every teqnique normaly associated with LMB except for topwaters, would't that be awesomedoes dropshotting robos work?how bout nightcrawlers?:Envious:j/k

surfnfish
11-18-2008, 09:29 PM
haha ive never tried nightcrawlers for um, ive kinda always stuck to artificials, but yes dropshotting robos is a very successful method, though i've found that the fish you hook are typically a smaller grade than average. Its really a good method for fish in the grass but for that i prefer weedless swimbaits, they give me a better chance at quality over quantity

sonarbp
11-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Gulp!Alive Smelt minnow 4"....wish they had a bigger size!!

Hey bassmaster818.....very nice spottie!!!!!! She sure looks nice and fat!!! I have had alot of luck fishing spotties using 4" Gulp swimming mullets rigged on round ball jig heads and another great bait to try is the Gulp 5" Jerkshad rigged on owner sledheads. The nice thing about the sledheads is if they are rigged right the bait will be weedless plus the 5: jerkshad have an action that drives the spotties crazy!

sonarbp

BingJr
11-19-2008, 07:37 AM
In my few ventures to LB Harbor around the docks, they have produced Sandies, but 0 spotties. I am assuming there must be a few in there but it definitely is not the spot heaven that NPH is.

And BM818 I am sure dropshotting robos would work.

I am amazed that Tacklejunkie catches em on thos Pogy's, I bought a bag, they have 0 action, the tail doesnt move at all, but I guess the power of the gulp makes up for lack of action. I did buy the 4" pogy, he might be using the 3" pogy which may have more action.

BingJr
11-19-2008, 07:39 AM
i was estimating,it was thick though and had nice fillets!
thanks to Gulp!Alive!!!!!

Eating fish from the bay. Brave brave man!

DEADROOTS
11-19-2008, 08:27 PM
does dropshotting robos work?how bout nightcrawlers?:Envious:j/k

I have used night crawlers in the surf and it has always slays whatever is in the vicinity! No joke.

flyngby
11-21-2008, 10:21 PM
I simply call them my favorite fish to catch due to their great battle no matter their size.

Steve

Newpsrat
11-22-2008, 05:04 PM
My friend kept one way back in the day and it tasted like carp. I cant imagine now with all the pollution. People shouldnt be eating them anyways. Go catch some tasty sandbass if you want table food. Leave these fun fish for people to catch and release.

one_leg
11-22-2008, 08:48 PM
I never take a limit of the Spreckled Harbor Fish. I prefer the Toad Calicos.