PDA

View Full Version : The surf Monday 11 17 08

ghetto dad
11-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey guys,
Well, after busting my butt for the last two days, I finally had time to go hit the
surf today. Left my place at 7:30 am, and headed North to start the day off.

Arrived in Belmont at 8:00 am, got down to the shore, and rigged up my rods. One of
the rods, I tied on a 5/8 Sardine Kroc, and the other, DS rigged with 1/2 oz weight. I took
a pic of the beach for Victor101, just as a tease, because I KNOW he wishes he was here surf fishing. Tide was lower than the first time I fished here last week. I wanted to start off
with the Kroc, so I cast it out a few times, hoping. All i could seem to catch on it was
weeds. I think when the winds blew the other day, it dirtied up the water. So I gave up on
that, and grabbed the DS.

After 3 or 4 casts, I started to pick up weeds on this set up too. This was geting
frustrating. I moved up and down the beach quite a bit, making casts, working hard to get
my first DS halibut. On about the 6th cast, I felt something pull! I set the hook hard,
and the fight was ON!! Between the surge, and the fact that I had light line, I babied what
I had hooked, and took my time. After a few minute battle, the beast finally gave up, and I
was able to beach it like a pro.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/Picture026.jpg
WTH??????? 1,000,000 MILES OF OCEAN, AND I HAPPEN TO CAST IN THE EXACT LOCATION OF A FERMENTING SEAGULL CARCUSS WITH THE WINGS STILL ATTACHED!!!

After the CPR, I decided to go across the street and try the inside bay. I packed
up my gear, and walked across the street. After looking at the conditions, I decided to
switch over to a GULP squid. Good thing I did, or I would have NEVER been able to land
this!!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/Picture027.jpg

O.k. Belmont, I get the hint. I need to totally switch locations. So i pack it up
again, and jump in my truck and head South a short ways. I decided to hit Seal Beach,
haven't tried this beach with DS yet, what the heck.

I paid for parking, got my ticket, and walked to the beach. LOTS of surfers in the
water today, pretty nice swell. I headed up the beach and found a spot that looked
promising. Made quite a few casts, got hammered by waves, and was soaked. I was really
getting frustrated, THIS is why I need a longer rod, for fishing THESE kinds of beaches.
Walked up the beach, made a cast, and BAM!! THIS was an actual FISH!!! Not very big, but not fermenting seagull or chip bags, so I was happy. I was really happy when I saw what it
was...my FIRST DS HALIBUT!!! WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!! I know its not much, but this is the fish that made me FINALLY make my decision to get a rod and reel for DSing.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/Picture029.jpg

After CPR, I made a few more casts, and decided again to change locations.

Went to the south side of the pier, and tried there for awhile. Throughout the next
30 minutes. I got 2 or 3 LEGIT hits, and missed them. That was fine, cuzz I FINALLY landed
one earlier!! Decided to leave the beach, I was tired of getting pounded by waves, jumped
in my truck and headed farther South. Newport Beach was my destionation to finish out the
day.

I arrived in NP, and decided to try the beach side this afternoon. I wanted to
catch some BSP's. Set up the carolina rigged fish crack, braved my way out (the waves were larger and more consistant here then in LB area). I had to really plan my casts and really pay attention for any hits. After the second cast, I got slammed, set the hook, and got this!!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/Picture030.jpg

Throughout the next hour, I STAYED in the water, looking for mama perch. Never got
her, but got quite a few of her babies.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/Picture031.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/Picture032.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/Picture034.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/Picture035.jpg

I landed about 5 more than pics I took. No need taking more pics of babies, lol.

Decided to hit NPH for some spotties....I should have stayed and fished perch. VERY slow in the harbor, not even ONE hit. I tried about a dozen or so spots, looked at my phone, and relized it was time to go get brit. I packed it in, and called it a day.

I had a great day on the (or should i say "in") water, NICE weather today.
Hopefully pretty soon, I will have my 8 footer and new reel. Thanks guys.

GD

hakaveli
11-17-2008, 06:04 PM
good job first butt on the DS

ghetto dad
11-17-2008, 06:06 PM
good job first butt on the DS

I owe it all to my homies, Hak and Vic....lol..thanks guys....

GD

Oz
11-17-2008, 06:11 PM
wtg homie on your first DS hali...u will get the right kind once u get that rod and reel u want :Cool:

tacklejunkie
11-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Good going on the first DS butt dude.
Thinking about hitting it tomorrow if I could decided where I wanted to go..

Troutman65
11-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Belmont? What made you pick that place ? Just wondering? :Confused:

Nice going on your catches !!!:Cool:

Next time stop in B.C. or H.B. and give it a shot. The new inlet to the wet lands is a good spot.

Thanks for the report GD. I enjoyed the read. Maybe we can team up and hit the surf sometime :Wink:

one_leg
11-17-2008, 06:18 PM
What a great report. Steve, great job on the surf fish.

troutdog
11-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Congrats on the ds hali GD, you are the new up and coming surfmaster! Thanks for the report and pics.....what rod and reel you thinking about for the ds rig?

TD

newbefisher
11-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Nice job! On the butt, not on the rotting bird... :Big Grin:

victor101
11-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Nice bird steve! lol...Man, I couldnt get my mind off fishing at work today after you sent me that pic. Ur an ahole for doing that LOL. Im glad to see you finally got your DS Hali. Once you catch your first one...it turns into an addiction. I need to hit the surf soon...

victor101
11-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Wait!....after careful review of your pic....its not a halibut. Its actually a Sole http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Microstomus_pacificus.jpg
Dover sole, Microstomus pacificus, is a Pacific flatfish of the flounder family which ranges from Baja California to the Bering Sea. It takes its name from a resemblance to the common sole of Europe, which is often called a 'Dover sole'.

Dover sole can live for 45 years. They spawn annually in the winter season in deepwater between 800 and 1,000 metres. Males begin to spawn at four years of age, while females begin to spawn at age five.

Dover sole is generally grilled on the bone and is characterized by a light taste.

J/K hommie...nice hali!

Fisherman57
11-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Congrats on your PB Lay's Potato Chip bag!
Love the perch shots! Let's hit the surf Steve!

oh....... and nice job on your first DS Hali!

cappo
11-17-2008, 08:03 PM
well look at that, perch!! Now maybe you will get 10,000 replies like you always wanted. :LOL:

Nice job on the hali.

hakaveli
11-17-2008, 08:05 PM
well look at that, perch!! Now maybe you will get 10,000 replies like you always wanted. :lol:

lmao :lol::lol::lol::lol:

ghetto dad
11-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Congrats on your PB Lay's Potato Chip bag!
Love the perch shots! Let's hit the surf Steve!

oh....... and nice job on your first DS Hali!

lol..thanks man.....im trying dana...im hitting it as much as i can....im still a neeewwwwwbbbbbb tho....ill get there, hopefully

GD

ghetto dad
11-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Congrats on the ds hali GD, you are the new up and coming surfmaster! Thanks for the report and pics.....what rod and reel you thinking about for the ds rig?

TD

LOL....do NOT, please, DO NOT put that pressure on me...:LOL: That will NEVER happen.....

Im not sure about the rig TD....i just want someting 8 foot, and a decent reel....that 8 footer would have made like a lil easier at seal....pretty big swell today...if i EVER SELL THAT STUFF IM TRYING TO SELL, ill be able to get a rod and reel.....lol.....for now, its my no drag, sometimes non turning daiwa.....

GD

ghetto dad
11-17-2008, 08:50 PM
What a great report. Steve, great job on the surf fish.

thanks alan.....im trying....

GD

and THANKS for all the other replies guys....only 9,990 to go!!!! lol.....
juan.....:Finger:...lol..thanks homie..

GD

sansou
11-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Nice fermented seagull! North Korean delicacy.

You are and always will be, regardless of any 50lb surf halibut you will catch in 2009, the King of Turd Rollers in my book! LOL

Good report & congrats!

Wingnut
11-17-2008, 09:18 PM
I will contribute to this 10,000 replies thread, since it has a Perch in it. :LOL: :Envious:
Congrats on your first DS Hali Steve, it was just a matter of time. Now go get yourself a legal on the DS. :Wink:

Strange, some of the things you pull out of the surf... :Shocked:

DEADROOTS
11-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Good job, nice bird!

supasportkid
11-17-2008, 09:25 PM
congrats on the DS hali. and the hot Lays too!

Native Gal
11-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Great Report and quite the mix of catches :Envious:
Congrats.

NG

fishindude420
11-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Great job on the ds hali man. we gotta go hit up some of my spots hali spots soon!

ghetto dad
11-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Great job on the ds hali man. we gotta go hit up some of my spots hali spots soon!

yeah...let me know when youre not working.....i wanna hit it in the morning before work

GD

Gmoney
11-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Geeeeee Deeeee
Man o Man im glad you are doing well and gettin to the water a bit!!
Major props on tackling a different type of fishing....
its amazing how different the types of fishing can be....yet its still fishing and i have no doubt you will be a monster of the surf sooner than later.

nice DS hali

and double-dog major props on the perch!!

laters
G$

ghetto dad
11-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Geeeeee Deeeee
Man o Man im glad you are doing well and gettin to the water a bit!!
Major props on tackling a different type of fishing....
its amazing how different the types of fishing can be....yet its still fishing and i have no doubt you will be a monster of the surf sooner than later.

nice DS hali

and double-dog major props on the perch!!

laters
G$

thanks man...miss you homie.....peace

GD

victor101
11-18-2008, 02:45 PM
yeah...let me know when youre not working.....i wanna hit it in the morning before work

GD

dude.....dont let wifey read this...

good job on the hali once again

ghetto dad
11-18-2008, 02:49 PM
dude.....dont let wifey read this...

good job on the hali once again

omg......:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:...he is young and cute tho, huh vic

GD

deanhall32
11-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Holy smokes!! Attacking fishing from a different angle. Nice job GD! So how long have you been a closet surf fisherman? Looks like I just might have to join you in the surf for a session or two. Let me know when you go next time... Nice job not getting the camera wet!!

ghetto dad
11-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Holy smokes!! Attacking fishing from a different angle. Nice job GD! So how long have you been a closet surf fisherman? Looks like I just might have to join you in the surf for a session or two. Let me know when you go next time... Nice job not getting the camera wet!!

LOL...thanks coach....i never know when im going....ima try to go tomorrow for a couple hours before work......maybe this sunday too...im still learning brother....

GD

n1ckxlam
11-18-2008, 10:01 PM
wtg brother on the ds hali. first of many more to come, im sure!

see ya soon
Nick Lam

ghetto dad
11-18-2008, 10:04 PM
wtg brother on the ds hali. first of many more to come, im sure!

see ya soon
Nick Lam

thanks man....yeah...when am i going to see you.....it was great fishing with you.......take it easy man

GD

fishmaniac
11-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Great job mang!! Thanks for sharing!

Seng90806
11-19-2008, 03:31 AM
GD, i didnt know u fish...lol....should hit me up next time when fishing in LB and i'll join u...i live like 5 min from belmont :LOL: