PDA

View Full Version : Paddleboard seabass

agbluesea
11-17-2008, 11:24 AM
I found an old telescoping cheapie spinning rod in my pile of fishing junk so I thought I'd give it a try, not from the kayak but from the paddleboard. I figued since it's compact it would be easy to stow with a small fishing kit.

Headed out just north of Santa Monica and found birds, seals, and porposises all hammering bait just past the surfers. Caught a few small mackerel, then a small calico, small sandie. A few casts later the rod doubles over and after a long fight I brought up a ball of kelp with what I thought was a long, thin sandie. Lipped what turned out to be a decent white seabass, legalish in size.

A few casts later the drag goes off for about ten seconds. I couldn't turn the fish and thought I was hung up in kelp. Finally managed to bring up a pretty fat calico.

Neither fish was huge but on the little rod and 8lb line it was a lot of fun. Glow in the dark gulp shrimp was the ticket.

Thoughts and prayers to those effected by the fires...

late

Gore

one_leg
11-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Both very nice fish on the light line. Congrats to you.

ikeman
11-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Nice catch. Great to see alternative fishing methods. Fishing off longboards used to be big, but you don't see it much anymore, way to go!

Wingnut
11-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Nice catch, very cool fishing from a paddleboard. Don't think I've seen that before. :Cool:

FYI - A legal White Sea Bass is 28 inches. :Wink:

mickeysindahouse
11-17-2008, 03:25 PM
That is a sweet way of getting out on the water and fish! Congrats on your catches. Makes me wanna look up Craigslist and snatch a used paddleboard.:Envious:

tacklejunkie
11-17-2008, 03:33 PM
I've thought of trying that from a boogie board or something but the thought of the creatures that are out there keeps me on shore.

Good work on he Seabass and Cali! Those WSB are cool lookin'.

Skaguy04
11-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Thats cool... great way of imporvising!

Ifishtoolittle
11-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Nice couple of fish! I like your rod looks pretty cool.

pasadenafishin
11-17-2008, 08:33 PM
nice, I love how you have a little cheapie rod rigged with a nice shimano LOL

troutdog
11-17-2008, 08:39 PM
That must have been alot of fun,congrats on the nice fish!

TD

supasportkid
11-17-2008, 09:27 PM
awesome way to fish man! good job on the catch

BIGRED KILLA
11-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the pics and report that is pretty narly to go out on that i would do it but i would be thinkin of seals and sharks out there.

Bigred