PDA

View Full Version : Plan B... Northern Recon Trip. Sunday Morning 11/16/08

Wingnut
11-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally had plans to fish with Bob (T/O) at Castaic today. But after his six hour drive home from DVL last night due to all the freeway closures, Bob was understandably, too worn out to entertain me for the day.

So plan B was put in motion. I haven't head North to Santa Barbara in a couple of months and decided to do a morning recon mission to see if anything was stirring up there. The answer would be... not really, not yet. The BSP's is starting to move in preparing for their spawning season. This should make City Dad very happy. :Wink:

Sad sight to see the smoke still coming from the hills above Santa Barbara. No matter where you go, North or South, you can't escape the smell of smoke in the air. :Neutral: My thoughts & prayers goes out to all the people who have lost their homes to these devastating fires... heartbreaking indeed.

Conditions: Clear morning skies, mild temperature, water temperature 66 degrees, water clarity fair with little salad. Fishing the incoming high tide, moderate surf conditions, little or no baitfish in the water anywhere.

Made a total of three stops this morning starting at sunrise 6:15am. Left the last area at noon to head home. Traffic condition... surprisingly light. :Big Grin: Gotta watch my Redskins beat the Cowboys tonight!

Total fish count:
(7) Barred Surf Perch
(3) Short Halibut 13", 16" 18"
(3) Smelt
Snagged a lot of the fish. :mad:
Not a productive day, but there were indications of good things to come. :Secret:

Santa Barbara in the grey light.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture001-37.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture003-35.jpg

Sunrise on the Santa Barbara coastline.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture006-28.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture007-26.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture008-24.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture010-22.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture011-22.jpg

Frisco hooked.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture012-20.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture015-18.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture023-15.jpg

On the Holographic 5/8 Krocodile. 18" Butt
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture021-15.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture019-15.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture016-18.jpg

Based on my Mike aka "Bones" patent pending daisy chain LC measuring device, this short Butt is only three and a half LC's, which equals about 16 inches. :LOL:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture017-15.jpg

(5) Five LCs end to end = 24 inches exactly. :Envious:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture010-21.jpg

It was nice to get back into the surf again. Getting back in touch with the Northern coastline and preparing for the next spike in the Halibut action. :Wink:

It will hard for me to find time to fish the next month or so because this is the busy time of the season for the biz. But where there's a will, there's a way... I'll sneak out somehow, when the boss isn't watching. :Wink:

Surf fishermen, get ready for the harsh winter months ahead. Break out those neoprene waders. :LOL:

Until the next tide... have a good one. :Cool:

Arthur (Wingnut) :Envious:

"The train of failure usually runs on the track of laziness."

Extras:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture024-15.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture014-18-1.jpg

Parting shot.
Hey Mike (Bones), if the daisy chain measuring thing doesn't sell, we can figure out some other use for it... :LOL: :Wink: :Big Smile:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture004-32.jpg

OnDaHunt4Fish
11-16-2008, 07:10 PM
As always a great Show Thanks

sansou
11-16-2008, 07:12 PM
I really like the sunrise pics!

The daisy chain LC has got to be the most expensive fish ruler ever invented!!

tacklejunkie
11-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Great read WN. Glad to see you were still able to stir something up. Nice slabs and butts!

Dig the LC ruler! :LOL:

Santa Fe Eric
11-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Absolutely Fabulous!
Way to go Man!

BingJr
11-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Very good day non the less Winger. One of these days I would like to join ya on a mission to the north. Of course winger pug can still ride shotgun!

DccFISHerMan
11-16-2008, 07:40 PM
thats one expensive measuring device

troutdog
11-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Nice job out there Arthur...looked pretty productive to me! :LOL: That first bsp looks pretty chunky, nice pics and report as always. I'm sure your multi legal hali reports are right around the corner....keep up the good work out there and thanks for another great read!

TD

BIGRED KILLA
11-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Hey Art thanks for the pics and report nice job out there even tho you snaged half of your fish i like that style lol...I also like the chain on your pug my pug was saying he digs it and he wants to roll with your pug one day.

Bigred

calico killer kevin
11-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Oh my!:EyePop: You put your stella on the sand. Nice fish even though you snagged most of them. haha

ghetto dad
11-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Dude...tell me your NOT a baller again!!! Only you have a $100 tape measure.....lol...nice report man....ill get there one day, its gonna take more time than i thought...i think by spring, Ill be able to fish with the big boyz.......thanks arthur...

GD

FishNFurious
11-16-2008, 08:44 PM
The LC measuring tape! :ROFL: You're too much Art, that's like a hundred bucks right there!!! :Shocked:
I'm sure that FishingFag24 or whatever his name, is going to want some royalties on it. :Twisted:

soulsurfer
11-16-2008, 08:55 PM
love the new bling on "young" Wingnut, Arthur.

mickeysindahouse
11-16-2008, 09:12 PM
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture017-15.jpg
The LC measuring tape! :ROFL: You're too much Art, that's like a hundred bucks right there!!! :Shocked:
I'm sure that FishingFag24 or whatever his name, is going to want some royalties on it. :Twisted:

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!

Nice work out there Arthur! Nice way to Git R Done! Looks like you were on a snagfest. :Envious: I've been wanting to hit up Santa Barbara for some time, but dang it's just so far from LA. Some day...

As always, great report & great pics!!

Rooster
11-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Great report and pics as always Arthur. Would love to see how you do at Carlsbad sometime :LOL:

olfishergal
11-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Very nice, lets me feel like I was right there........OFG

Badbeat
11-16-2008, 10:02 PM
I wish I had a plan B. :Wink:
I was looking forward to fishing with T/O, thanks for the invite bro, next time.
Yeah, it was sad to go outside to see and smell the smoke everywhere. Those poor people who lost everything. :Crying:
Glad you decided to head out anyways bro, i slept in today. :LOL:

Ifishtoolittle
11-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Nice fish Wingnut. How come the BSP's are able to find their way onto an LC? I mean the LC's are at least half their size, they must be very agressive.

Nessie Hunter
11-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Angle of the dangle?? Or that first BSP is a monster?? :EyePop:

Good trip bud.... Way to get out and fish...

Im having an anxiety attack.. Seeing that Stella and Luna layin in the sand.. :Shocked:

At least when your snagiin a few, you know the fish are there!!!!

Love the new uber high end measuring tape.. :ROFL:

Ren714
11-17-2008, 09:45 AM
GJ, short butt is better than no butt...

Is that a new pup?

FISHSTIX
11-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Great report and pix Arthur.....i love wingnut pugs "Bling-Bling":Cool:

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Quit snaggin them beasties Arthur....you Brute.....don't let me rub off on you !....ha ha ha ha
You Killer !
Nice work there buddy, I wouldn't say it was a bad day...just not the day you had hoped for....we all live for those days when what you go to bed the night b4 expecting, comes to life b4 your eyes the next day…

Looks like a great time, those are some real nice perch there....

If ur getting on those halibut, thats all good too....payin the dues......for every 3 shorts theres another real fat toad just awaitin for that LC to cruise by...but you know all that already…

Man.....I am crackin up at the daisy chain thang….ha ha ha….nice one !!! one of the best I’ve seen in a while !

I say you troll that sucka and then you won’t even have to remove the fish from the hooks….you could just lay it in the water like a trout chain stringer !!!

I wonder how many Gulp alive minnows it takes to make a legal ???

Ha ha

Nice report Arthur,
Gary

Nhatster
11-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Love Santa Barbara, don't love the drive too much. :mad:
Not such a bad day, you got some action at least. I still haven't been able to get out much. Need to get better employees. :Wink:
See you soon bro, Thanksgiving for sure.

Wingnut
11-17-2008, 10:25 PM
As always a great Show Thanks
Maybe not great... but just good enough. :LOL:

I really like the sunrise pics!

The daisy chain LC has got to be the most expensive fish ruler ever invented!!
Ha ha, you noticed that I used a pattern that isn't too popular, the Nishiki. :LOL:

Great read WN. Glad to see you were still able to stir something up. Nice slabs and butts!

Dig the LC ruler! :LOL:
I was scratching all morning Casey, it was tough but at least I got something. It's only gonna get tougher in the winter months ahead.

Absolutely Fabulous!
Way to go Man!
Thanks Big "E". You've been doing well out there too, keep up the good work.

Very good day non the less Winger. One of these days I would like to join ya on a mission to the north. Of course winger pug can still ride shotgun!
I was going to take Wingnut Pug out on T/O's boat for the first time Sunday, but it wasn't meant to be. :Wink: Maybe sometime soon.

thats one expensive measuring device
:LOL: :Envious:

Nice job out there Arthur...looked pretty productive to me! :LOL: That first bsp looks pretty chunky, nice pics and report as always. I'm sure your multi legal hali reports are right around the corner....keep up the good work out there and thanks for another great read!

TD
Thanks Aaron, keep up the good work at Irvine Lake... see ya soon. :Wink:

Hey Art thanks for the pics and report nice job out there even tho you snaged half of your fish i like that style lol...I also like the chain on your pug my pug was saying he digs it and he wants to roll with your pug one day.

Bigred
Ha ha, it was a snagfest on Sunday. :Envious: Those hooks on the LC's are sharp, they'll nab anything! :Twisted: Yeah, let's get the Pugs together and own the town. :Wink: :Big Grin:

Oh my!:EyePop: You put your stella on the sand. Nice fish even though you snagged most of them. haha
Old habits are hard to break. :Envious: Hey, most of the snagged fish also has a hook in its mouth. :LOL:

Dude...tell me your NOT a baller again!!! Only you have a $100 tape measure.....lol...nice report man....ill get there one day, its gonna take more time than i thought...i think by spring, Ill be able to fish with the big boyz.......thanks arthur...

GD
Maybe Santa will bring you a killer surf set-up this Christmas Steve... unles you've been naughty. :Wink: Congrats on your first DS Hali, keep up the nice work out there.

I tried to contact him to negotiate the royalty percentage, but for some reason he's not answering the pm. I wonder why? :Twisted: All in good fun Vince, all in good fun.

love the new bling on "young" Wingnut, Arthur.
Hey Luat, where have you been hiding? We should hit the surf in the OC one of these days. Shoot me a pm if you have time one of these days. I know you have to check with the boss first. :LOL: :Envious:

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!

Nice work out there Arthur! Nice way to Git R Done! Looks like you were on a snagfest. :Envious: I've been wanting to hit up Santa Barbara for some time, but dang it's just so far from LA. Some day...

As always, great report & great pics!!
Hey, you have to laugh at yourself or entertain at your own expense once in awhile. :Wink:
The snagfest was in full effect! :LOL:
You should take the entire family up there, the wife & kids would love it. If you do decide to head up there one of these days, shoot me a pm, I'll give ya heads up on a few spots. :Wink:

Great report and pics as always Arthur. Would love to see how you do at Carlsbad sometime :LOL:
I fished the Carlsbad jetties and the Lagoon Estuaries a couple of time a few months back and did pretty well. If you have some secret insider information on some spots down there let me know. :Wink: We can workout a trade or payment plan of some kind. :LOL:

Very nice, lets me feel like I was right there........OFG
Thanks Chris, I'm still waiting to see a surf fishing report form you. I know that you do go out there... I have a Lucky Craft for you the first time I read your surf report. :Wink:

I wish I had a plan B. :Wink:
I was looking forward to fishing with T/O, thanks for the invite bro, next time.
Yeah, it was sad to go outside to see and smell the smoke everywhere. Those poor people who lost everything. :Crying:
Glad you decided to head out anyways bro, i slept in today. :LOL:
Keep the raincheck Binh, we'll head out with Bob again soon.
Yeah, it's very sad seeing all those people affected there on the news every night. :Neutral: Some have no place to go.

Nice fish Wingnut. How come the BSP's are able to find their way onto an LC? I mean the LC's are at least half their size, they must be very agressive.
The BSP's can get pretty agressive, especially near or during their spawning period which is somewhere between December thru June. The bigger ones really put up a decent fight. Just make sure that you release them during the spawning season. :Cool:

Angle of the dangle?? Or that first BSP is a monster?? :EyePop:

Good trip bud.... Way to get out and fish...

Im having an anxiety attack.. Seeing that Stella and Luna layin in the sand.. :Shocked:

At least when your snagiin a few, you know the fish are there!!!!

Love the new uber high end measuring tape.. :ROFL:

According to the LC uber high end measuring tape, that Perch was eleven inches. :LOL:
No worries about the reels Frank... more work for you! :Big Smile:
I was the snag King on Sunday for sure. :Wink:

GJ, short butt is better than no butt...

Is that a new pup?
Agreed, better than nothing. :Wink:
Nope, the same old Wingnut Pug sporting the LC chain.

Great report and pix Arthur.....i love wingnut pugs "Bling-Bling":Cool:
Thanks James, maybe I'll run into you out there someday soon. :Cool:

Quit snaggin them beasties Arthur....you Brute.....don't let me rub off on you !....ha ha ha ha
You Killer !
Nice work there buddy, I wouldn't say it was a bad day...just not the day you had hoped for....we all live for those days when what you go to bed the night b4 expecting, comes to life b4 your eyes the next day…

Looks like a great time, those are some real nice perch there....

If ur getting on those halibut, thats all good too....payin the dues......for every 3 shorts theres another real fat toad just awaitin for that LC to cruise by...but you know all that already…

Man.....I am crackin up at the daisy chain thang….ha ha ha….nice one !!! one of the best I’ve seen in a while !

I say you troll that sucka and then you won’t even have to remove the fish from the hooks….you could just lay it in the water like a trout chain stringer !!!

I wonder how many Gulp alive minnows it takes to make a legal ???

Ha ha

Nice report Arthur,
Gary
Hey, if it wasn't for the slow days... we wouldn't enjoy and appreciate fishing so much. I've learned that even on the slowest days, you still can take something from the experience. I always ask myself on a slow fishing day... why is the fishing so poor today? Tide, weather, temperature, baitfish presence, time of day, bait or lure of choice...?
Pretty much the same questions that you should ask yourself during a hot & productive day... so you'll know what to do and what NOT to do, the next time. :Wink:
About the LC chain thing... sometimes you gotta go with the flow... people will either laugh at you, or laugh with you... it's all in good fun. :Cool:

Love Santa Barbara, don't love the drive too much. :mad:
Not such a bad day, you got some action at least. I still haven't been able to get out much. Need to get better employees. :Wink:
See you soon bro, Thanksgiving for sure.
Yeah, that drive is at least another hour from where you are brother.
After the busy season, you need to take some time off and relax and take a nice vacation. Do a lot of fishing to make up for loss time bro. You've been working way too hard this past year. Working hard is good, but burning the candle at booth ends is not. :!!!:

Fisherman57
11-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Hey there Arthur!

Im late in on this thread........ BUT, still a good job on a tough day!..... Gotta love the Lufkin "fishing edition" measuring tape. LOL!

WP needs to make an appearance at my dads soon! :Wink:

See ya soon!

Dana

Lightline
11-17-2008, 11:00 PM
you always have good reports.

Native Gal
11-18-2008, 12:19 AM
WN,
A good recon mission nonetheless, can't wait to see what it brings forth in the future.
The SNAGSTER on this mission but I can see the return of the almighty WINGBUTT soon. :Big Grin::Envious::LOL:

WingnutPUG looks all DIVA'd out with her L.C. Bling.

NG
:Big Grin:

eagleeyes
11-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Nice Arthur! Perches are getting pretty big nowadays. Nice hali's. I haven't seen any halis for about a month now.

Granny Fish
11-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Had to laugh about your new measuring devise. :LOL: It's good to be busy with work in a tough economy. The fish will still be there when your ready. Thanks for the great pics and report.

bones
11-18-2008, 05:16 PM
I also like the chain on your pug. My pug was saying he digs it and he wants to roll with your pug one day.

Bigred

WARNING....DO NOT.....I REPEAT....DO NOT ALLOW BABY TO HANG WITH BR's PUG. SHE WILL BECOME A SHAMELESS HUSSY AND SUFFER FROM A.D.D.

Just kidding Lupus!

Nice Chain there buddy but you should have left a center hook and tail hook. Maybe there is a 50 incher out there that would hit a Lucky Craft eel....LOL
Better toss it on 60lb braid though!

Thanks for the report Arthur.
Good job as always and The PC hopes to see ya out at the Vine on Sunday.

Fish ON !!!!!!------------<><

BIGRED KILLA
11-18-2008, 05:50 PM
WARNING....DO NOT.....I REPEAT....DO NOT ALLOW BABY TO HANG WITH BR's PUG. SHE WILL BECOME A SHAMELESS HUSSY AND SUFFER FROM A.D.D.

Just kidding Lupus!

Nice Chain there buddy but you should have left a center hook and tail hook. Maybe there is a 50 incher out there that would hit a Lucky Craft eel....LOL

Dam old man i have to put you in place again this time i will hide your reading glasses and no split pea soup for a week for you.Nvr talk to puggy like that.lol jk Boner

Bigred

Wingnut
11-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Hey there Arthur!

Im late in on this thread........ BUT, still a good job on a tough day!..... Gotta love the Lufkin "fishing edition" measuring tape. LOL!

WP needs to make an appearance at my dads soon! :Wink:

See ya soon!

Dana
Anytime your Dad is ready Dana... Wingnut Pug is ready to make him smile. :Big Grin: See ya Sunday. :Wink:

you always have good reports.
Thank you sir. :Cool:

WN,
A good recon mission nonetheless, can't wait to see what it brings forth in the future.
The SNAGSTER on this mission but I can see the return of the almighty WINGBUTT soon. :Big Grin::Envious::LOL:

WingnutPUG looks all DIVA'd out with her L.C. Bling.

NG
:Big Grin:
WingButt... :ROFL:
Wingnut Pug do have expensive taste. :Cool: :Big Grin:
I'm still anxiously awaiting your fishing report. :Wink:

Nice Arthur! Perches are getting pretty big nowadays. Nice hali's. I haven't seen any halis for about a month now.
I haven't been out there too much in the surf the past few weeks Steve, but word is that it's still pretty tough. Some of my kayak sources say that the bigger Flatties are hanging around in deeper water 15'+. :Neutral: They'll move in soon enough. :Wink:

Had to laugh about your new measuring devise. :LOL: It's good to be busy with work in a tough economy. The fish will still be there when your ready. Thanks for the great pics and report.
I figured the LC measuring chain would get a few chuckles. :Wink:
I'm busy scrambling but business stinks right now. What can you do, gotta hang on and ride it out. :Neutral: Things are not going to turn around overnight, that's for sure... no matter who's in the White House.

Just kidding Lupus!

Ha ha, Wingnut Pug is impervious to all bad influences. :Wink: They do say that pets do mirror their owners though. :LOL: You've got problems Lucas... just kidding! :ROFL:
I don't think we're gonna go anywhere with your LC daisy chain measuring tape idea Mike, not at $100 bucks a pop. :LOL:
I'll see if I can stop by on Sunday to say hello to the Pirate Crew and everybody at the Turkey Bowl before I head out to Anglers Marine. :Wink:

Dam old man i have to put you in place again this time i will hide your reading glasses and no split pea soup for a week for you.Nvr talk to puggy like that.lol jk Boner

Bigred
Better yet, hide his bottle of Geritol. :LOL:
Pugs will inherit the Earth.. Planet of the Pugs. :Twisted:

BIGRED KILLA
11-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Lol Art to funny.

Bigred

Seng90806
11-19-2008, 03:39 AM
great job out there bro!!! i think i drove by that spot a couple times on our way to cachuma lake but never fished it....maybe i'll give it a try on our next trip :LOL:

Troutman65
11-19-2008, 04:00 AM
Nice going on a tuff day Arthur. Hope to see you at the Vine on Sunday.:Wink::Cool::Envious:

Wingnut
11-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Lol Art to funny.

Bigred
Lucas, what's up with the new avatar pic?!? Who's that supposed to be??? :ROFL:

great job out there bro!!! i think i drove by that spot a couple times on our way to cachuma lake but never fished it....maybe i'll give it a try on our next trip :LOL:
That spot is way past Cachuma Seng. :Secret: I'm still waiting for that email. :Wink:

Nice going on a tuff day Arthur. Hope to see you at the Vine on Sunday.:Wink::Cool::Envious:
I'm stretched pretty thin on Sunday Patrick, but I'll try to get out there for a bit to say hello to everyone. Probably around nine o'clock or so, we'll see. :Cool: