PDA

View Full Version : ...five sturgeon in three days: Priceless!

FishWisher
11-15-2008, 06:33 AM
I headed to Brannan Island State Park this week to spend three days of sturgeon fishing off Decker Island. I had an RV space with electricity for three nights, a berth at the docks for two nights plus boat launch. It was a real pleasure not to have to launch the boat every day.

Daytime currents were mostly strong incoming this week, so that's mostly what I fished. Too bad the outgoings were mostly after dark. The only bait I used was some old eel that has been in wifey's freezer for seven months! Even the leader and hooks - with old eel still attached - were in the container with the old eel. I simply took out the leader and attached it and tossed it into the river.

Within a half hour on the first day of fishing I had my first keeper sturgeon on! I gave the skinny 62" 35# critter to a friend who was only too happy to jump in his car and drive from Stockton to claim it.

On day two I caught and released another keeper at 48" - and released him. Two sturgeon in two days!

On day three my friend Doug joined me. Still using nuthin' but the nasty old lamprey, he reeled in a 47" keeper that he released. That was his first sturgeon. Also on day three, just to keep Doug humble, I reeled in a 49" keeper and a 69" that was too large to keep - both were released. Then an 11½ Lb striper took the nasty lamprey for some reason, and she went into the fish box. I ended my day with a little 18" or so sturgy baby who was released to grow up.

It was the most productive sturgeon trip I've ever experienced. Who says the sturgeon are in decline? Those DFG biologists ought to go fishing more often!

The weather was perfect, the water almost always flat with little or no wind the whole time.

Brannan for three days: $97. Gas to and from Brannan $35. Five sturgeon in three days: Priceless!

Dale

candyman
11-15-2008, 12:36 PM
I was wondering are they good to eat? They look to cool to keep and eat, if I caught one I would want it as a pet lol

FishWisher
11-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Sturgeon is considered very good table fare. The meat is very mild. I've had sturgeon in the fridge and after several days still virtually no odor to it. Of course the main attraction to White Sturgeon (which is what these are) is the eggs - known as caviar. Lots of poaching goes on due to the value of their eggs.

Dale

Liteliner
11-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Sweet Job man and a DD striper to boot. Nice. I will be hitting up the columbia river in portland hopefully this coming spring for some of the monster sturgeon they have out there.

one_leg
11-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Way to go FishWisher.

FISHSTIX
11-18-2008, 09:38 AM
nice going!...what lb test were you using?they must be a hellof a fight on lite line

Poxy Boggards
11-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Nice job on the Dino's.

They are some of my favorite fish to eat. It's more like eating a steak than eating fish. Very solid meat, that has a very mild flavor. It's great smoked, or as jerky as well.

DEADROOTS
11-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Did you get any caviar?

FishWisher
03-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Sorry for the long delay in answering - I haven't checked in for awhile.

No cavier for me. I don't even eat fish!

I use 50# braid on my sturgeon rigs. Lots of power, no stretch, and very narrow for the rating which means less lift or float in the water. And they can be a hell of a fight on any line! Especially the skinny males who sometimes have a lot of endurance.

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. I'm heading out again soon for three days, I'll post how I do.

Dale

gotstofish
03-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Best of luck to you.FishWisher.