PDA

View Full Version : Wader Boot question for tubers...

dar30
11-14-2008, 05:48 PM
I am in the process of getting accessories for my first tube and was wondering how many of you use waders boots with your fins. It seems to me that it would be pretty heavy and hard on the legs as you kick around. I already bought a pair of Hodgmen boots , I'm wondering if I should return them. I haven't even been out on my tube yet, but I want some opinions on the this. If you don't use boots what do you use and why? Thanks for all your help in advance.

FISHSTIX
11-14-2008, 06:07 PM
sports chalet has a selection from water socks to boots..i got the boots to use with waders & w/o and tubing...idk the differece tho...sorry

WARRIORMIKE
11-14-2008, 07:02 PM
I am in the process of getting accessories for my first tube and was wondering how many of you use waders boots with your fins. It seems to me that it would be pretty heavy and hard on the legs as you kick around. I already bought a pair of Hodgmen boots , I'm wondering if I should return them. I haven't even been out on my tube yet, but I want some opinions on the this. If you don't use boots what do you use and why? Thanks for all your help in advance.

I have a pair of wader boots, never had a problem with them "weighing" me down in the water. Cool thing is if you wear out the felt there are replacement anywhere you to. Buy both and see what you think. If you don't like either one take 'em back :Idea:

Socal Bassman
11-14-2008, 07:52 PM
I use neoprene boots like those for scuba diving. They're lightweight, offer just enough protection, and allow for a full range of motion.

dar30
11-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Thank you for the replys. I bought a neoprene wader with attached booties. If I wanted to, could I just use the fins over the booties? Without the actual wader boots? Thanks for all the input!

LBSea
11-14-2008, 08:12 PM
I have hodgeman waders & boots and I really like the setup. I fish many different areas and it is nice because you can walk across sand, gravel, breakwall rocks or submerged mossy rocks without worrying about cutting your bootys and the boots have a non-slip felt that is great when you leave the tube at home and go fly fishing or surf casting. As far as weight once you are in the water you will not notice them.

Finally, if you do not cover your wader bootys with either wader boots, old tennis shoes or diving bootys your fins WILL wear a hole in your waders VERY fast.

Good Luck,
Doug

dar30
11-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks Doug,
I guess I'll go with the boots. Any recommendations on fins that are not too expensive....under $80????

Flying
11-15-2008, 02:18 AM
We need to clarify thing here.

Bootfoot wader. Has attached boots. Pretty much like a rubber rain boot built on.

Stockingfoot wader. Has the neoprene feet.

Booties. Are neoprene with various types of rubber or felt soles a come in many in many different names like Wader shoes, tuber booties,Flats booties,Dive booties. The Hogmans http://www.hodgman.com/dyn_prod.php?p=STRT181&k=76787 do look very nice for a all round tuber/surf/wading bootie. A lot of companies make similar booties. Booties allow you to use a large selection of fins vs a boot.

Wading boot/shoe. These are just like a hiking boot or shoe but with felt soles for real wading in rocky streams.

I use breathable stockingfoot waders with Glacier glove booties (which I don't like much as the soles are very thin for walking) and Force fins($$$).
I have used the Caddis 2 strap fins for a long time in the past. They are not the greatest but I size fits all and they are around $40. With the dive type fins you should have your waders and booties with you to fit them.

Nessie Hunter
11-15-2008, 07:45 AM
Well said Flying.......

When I started Tubing. I purchased a pair of stocking foot waders as recommended by friends etc.
So the investment of $80 was made.
I quickly went through about 5 or 6 pair of fins.
(mostly used or hand me downs I tried out, from friends that I complained to & a couple of new pair that were recommended)
Every one hurt my feet, from the pushing of toes into front of fin, or shoe/boot/fin rubbing my ankle or side of foot etc etc (Pain is a bad thing when trying to have fun).
This also wore my wader stocking foot seams until they leaked.
My feet cramped badly and Many had no speed or power.
I Tubed NPH often and the wind and current was hard to deal with.
The Bays are the ultimate test for your Tubing gear..
"Shoe fit fins" were very heavy and wore out & cramped my legs FAST.

I finally obtained a pair of Hot Spot fins... (thanks Albert)!!

What a world of difference!!!!
Soft material, made by Fat Albert (A float Tuber, FOR Float Tubers).
Light feel (they float so had no weight feel to them at all).
The Med fit my foot very well (10 1/2 foot size).
I had power/speed and comfort. No more wearing the Wader foot either.
I was in love!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 yrs now and lots of miles on them, Same waders, no more leaks. Have pulled several 16/18 hr days/nights in NPH and have no foot pain or discomfort. I could never have done that before!!!!
Im old and can kick buns on the young guys now!!!

Just a Note:
When not wearing waders, DO wear something on your foot, (old socks or light neoprene booties etc.. All Fins will rub/hurt your bare foot....

The reasons I use Stocking foot waders;
First, they are more versatile IMHO..
I can use my fins with OR without the waders. Fins fit both.
Trust me when I say the "boots" have a lot of weight, that will tire you out and hurt or cause cramps!!!!
If I want to hike/surf/wade, I put on a pair of old sneakers/boots over the stocking foot waders.
I have open sandals that I can slide wader foot into to walk to/from launch.

Unless you can afford to invest in TWO pair of waders, one for walking and One for Tubing.. I would strongly recommend the Stocking foot waders, and accessorize (shoes, sandals, boots) for the diff types of fishing.

This is not Spam for Hot Spots, either. Just the facts as I have found them to be, as a customer/consumer..
I highly recommend the "Stocking foot waders" & Hot Spots, to any one & everyone....... You wont be sorry...

HEY BASSNUT, My feet dont hurt anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ROFL:

dar30
11-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the indepth explanations Nessie and Flying.

troutslayer05
11-15-2008, 09:30 PM
I usually try to wear my boots, After a long day and being so tight with fins on feet get a lil sore but they are def helpful when walking around in my waders.

LBSea
11-15-2008, 10:54 PM
"Have pulled several 16/18 hr days/nights in NPH and have no foot pain or discomfort."

I do A LOT of tubing and that sounds like...Well. ;/ All Im saying is that is a loooong time to be one the water even if your Michael Phelps.

Dar30,
I would like to give you enough credit to know what I am talking about! Bottom line is I use my waders & boots to do a variety of fishing from tubes, streams & surf. They work great for all these conditions and I don't even need to think about what Booty, Slipper, Tennis Shoe, Thong, Sandle, Etc... to use for what I plan to do. I grab my waders and boots and I am ready for anything. What a refreshing thought, something that works for everyting. Well almost everything, I would not use them for deck shoes although I am sure they would work for that too.

Finally, then I will get off my soap box, for all of you who have never used waders boots or tubed for that matter, THE FINS USED WITH WADER BOOTS DO NOT SMASH OR CRAMP YOUR TOES BECAUSE THE FINS YOU USE WITH WADER BOOTS ARE OPEN AROUND THE ENTIRE TOE AND MOST OF THE BOOT ITSELF. And YES the boots really will float up when you are drifting or just resting. I Promise.

Hey DAR PM me if you ever want to tube but I must warn you up front that I only go for 5-6 tops 8 hrs at a time. I know what a wimp.

Tight Lines,
Doug

Nessie Hunter
11-16-2008, 06:56 AM
"Have pulled several 16/18 hr days/nights in NPH and have no foot pain or discomfort."

I do A LOT of tubing and that sounds like...Well. ;/ All Im saying is that is a loooong time to be one the water even if your Michael Phelps.

I know, what a wimp. :Embarrassed:

Tight Lines,
Doug

:ROFL:

Its true!!!!
There are members here who were there and/or know of it..
bassnut, hazmat, Le Bro's, fishtaco, shorebound & many others...

Cant even count the 10 & 12 hr trips there.. Just to stay out of the "parking lot" frwy's going back up the hill to Hesperia...

The reason safety, comfort and fit are so important to me......

I/we started doing the 4 to 6 hr trips, and realized I was spending more time on the frwy then fishing??? F that..... (up to 2 hrs there and 3 hrs back)...

The "TUBER GANG" lives.....!!!!!!!!!!
Where is Cowboyshootergirl (Susie) when you need her???? (flash back)
:ROFL:

LBSea
11-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Sorry for the thread jack BUT. I remember your posts when you were really getting into tubing Newport, I really mis the pictures and reports. I have tubed with Shorebound & Greeper but would like to get out there with you when you do make it back down the hill. Really, let me know if you are ever in the LB area. You can leave your gear at home and I will gear you up in most new equipement. All new ODC420, Breathable Waders XXL, and either Citicas or Revos on Clarus rods!

See ya.

Nessie Hunter
11-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Sounds like a plan brudda!!

Soon........ :Smile: