PDA

View Full Version : Lucanus Jigs...

Sergio Prado
11-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Just curious as to any of you guys ever use these jigs and if had any luck with them. I picked up a couple of them yesterday. I'm planning on going out this Sunday to try them out. Thanks.....

Ricky-Ray
11-14-2008, 11:50 AM
I know Jackpot Jimmy uses a few of them. I'm sure he'll chime in with his opinion after he get's out of school.

I haven't been able to come up with the courage to buy a 20 dollar rockfish jig just yet.

Sergio Prado
11-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Hey Ricky thanks for your reply, I would've never got these either but I had $150.00 in Bass Pro gift cards just burning a hole in my wallet.

Ricky-Ray
11-14-2008, 12:10 PM
You know when I was on my 5 day trip earlier this year one of the guys that does long range quite a bit said the lucanus jigs worked really well for either the yellowtail or yellowfin (I forgot which one he mentioned) if they are down deep. You just have to change out the existing stinger hooks to stronger ones.

Since he told me that I might get a few at the Fred Hall Show if they are on sale.

dockboy
11-14-2008, 12:38 PM
The Lucanus jigs are nice and work well. I havent seen them used for yellowtail or yellowfin, but Im sure they would work.
Braid has their version of the Lucanus. Look pretty decent. Im thinking about looking into them, especially if they work. Seven bucks is a bit easier to swallow than twenty :LOL:

Matador1238
11-14-2008, 02:12 PM
I see people catching mostly dinks using the Lucanus. Sometimes you do catch a big one....

I rather buy Braid, its cheaper.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/cst1.htm

For rockfish, Walmart 99 cents shrimp flys or heavy jigs work just as good, if not better.

BIGRED KILLA
11-14-2008, 02:14 PM
They work good on all fish my bro PaDDy got a 25 pound hali on it at SCI.

Bigred

Rubble
11-14-2008, 02:19 PM
They work great on Reds,Bocaccios & Lings if used properly.
I use 'em on a Terramar stick & a Saltist loaded with Spectra.Let hit bottom,reel up SLOWLY @ when you see the tip go tap-tap-tap just keep winding slow........

Jackpot Jimmy
11-14-2008, 07:36 PM
The Lucanus Jigs work very well! I've caught several nice fish on them, an 8# lingcod I got at SCI.

I made several non-believers believers, including Craig, who used to run the Spitfire. The Lucanus Jigs aren't at Bass Pro in Rancho Cucamonga, but Braid's version is. His wife cuts our hair, and she says they've tested them, and they work really well, haven't tried on, though.

Sergio Prado
11-14-2008, 10:36 PM
What's up Jimmy, I bought mine at the Rancho store yesterday. They only had a small display, but it looked like they sell very good cause I didn't have a big selection to pick from. They have a good sale on thier Shimano fishing boots for $30.00 going on right now also. Thanks for the replies guys, I'll post my results on Monday....

Jackpot Jimmy
11-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Huh... Rancho didn't have 'em a few weeks ago, and I didn't even see a spot for them. The 3-1/2 oz. orange and white works best for me.

I know Jackpot Jimmy uses a few of them. I'm sure he'll chime in with his opinion after he get's out of school.

I haven't been able to come up with the courage to buy a 20 dollar rockfish jig just yet.

I thought just tying it on my line would bring me good luck. I couldn't get into that one corner to save my life! We should have gotten a picture of that corner... one little stone, about 10 people packed into one little corner.:Evil:

Ifishtoolittle
11-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Yeah the Lucanus Jigs work pretty nicely, but make sure you've got a tight knot on there or else its $20 down the drain. Personally I prefer the white one it looks natural and works pretty good.

BIGRED KILLA
11-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Remember rock cod eat every thing so if you like working jigs,scampis and Iorns for them then you might like them if you are a bait kind of guy then they might just sit in your tackle bag.

Bigred

That Dang Guy
11-18-2008, 08:13 AM
I've only used them for 20 minutes on a PB. We only fished twenty minutes to try it out. They got bites and you could feel even the tinest of nibbles. We had a bait down to test it against and it didn't even get a bite. I think they'll work, but even the tinest of rockfish will eat them.

I would think it would be difficult to lose one with the hook design. I fish butterfly jigs quite often and I've been using the same two jig for almost 1 1/2 seasons. I have to admit that I've lost a few butterfly jigs at the start, but i really haven't lost any since I stopped casting them.

It stops hurting after you lose 1 or 2 of them.

paDDy
11-18-2008, 11:41 AM
They work great! Like Jimmy said I have also made a lot of people believers of the Lucanus jig. They don't necessarily out fish live bait, but sure makes bottom fishing way more fun. They work great to when live bait is not available. Not a typically problem here but Baja there is no bait receivers allot of time. Makes bottom fishing way more fun, no need for a bunch of lead, the jig falls quick! One thing to remember is not to set the hook, hit bottom and wind slow. The halibut down below I was casting the jig and bouncing it off the bottom very slow, I set the hook and missed him the first time. Casted out again and he hit hard but I just kept reeling.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn308/bagged7104ss/hali006.jpg

Liteliner
11-18-2008, 06:32 PM
I agree with paddy. Lucanus jigs make fishing the bottom alot funner. Its my newest obsession. I plan on getting ever color in every size. Got five so far so about 25 more to go.....

sesgia
11-18-2008, 08:36 PM
i have try them before and i have try some of my home made version also some other knock off they all work the same. the only difference is the price. the knock off is only around 4-12 bucks. my home made is around 2-4 bucks. all you need is weight, hooks, and some skirts