PDA

View Full Version : When catching Sanddabs?

Lightline
11-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Any one know when you go out on the local cattle boat trips to fish for sand dabs, can you catch other fish?

Meaning what other fish can you catch during these trips? Is halibut possible or non bottom fish?

ghetto dad
11-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Any one know when you go out on the local cattle boat trips to fish for sand dabs, can you catch other fish?

Meaning what other fish can you catch during these trips? Is halibut possible or non bottom fish?

from my understanding, there is only one boat that does the sand dab trips.....and basically you fish JUST for the dabs all day......halibut generally arent possible in the areas that they fish....its very very deep....

GD

BIGRED KILLA
11-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Some times they will catch them for Lingcod bait they love them.You can catch other fish while fishing for them but it all depends how deep you are fishing for them.Usaully the sanddabs will eat your bait before a lot of other fish do its like a bonita on the floor lol.

Bigred

ghetto dad
11-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Some times they will catch them for Lingcod bait they love them.You can catch other fish while fishing for them but it all depends how deep you are fishing for them.Usaully the sanddabs will eat your bait before a lot of other fish do its like a bonita on the floor lol.

Bigred

Hey gangster....I think he is talking about the boats that TARGET the sand dabs....

GD

BIGRED KILLA
11-10-2008, 09:20 PM
LOL they have boats that target them plz don't sign me up for that boat lol.I Would rather fish 4 tom cod thks Ghetto gang banger lol.:Wink:

Bigred

Lightline
11-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Hey gangster....I think he is talking about the boats that TARGET the sand dabs....

GD

Thanks getto dad, any info on other species?

ghetto dad
11-10-2008, 09:24 PM
LOL they have boats that target them plz don't sign me up for that boat lol.I Would rather fish 4 tom cod thks Ghetto gang banger lol.:Wink:

Bigred

yeah dude, they do.....check the counts.....20 people.....3000 sand dabs....

GD

ghetto dad
11-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks getto dad, any info on other species?

you lost me bro...you asked about the boats that FISH for them....thats ALL they fish for...and as far as i know, there is only one boat around here that does that....no limit on sand dabs....10 hooks max......

GD

Lightline
11-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Well I'm thinking there has to be other fish around the waters they fish for sand dabs and not only dabs.

Do you know if is possible to target other fish not so deep when fishing for dabs? meaning not bottom fish...

BIGRED KILLA
11-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Its the ocean you never no what you will catch if the you want other fish then sanddabs dont go on the sandab trips thats what they really target.If you want rock cod go on a rock cod trip boat.Sorry if i sound like a jerk.

Bigred

Granny Fish
11-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Pin a dab on your hook and see what you catch and report back.
I'm with Red, don't sign me up for the sand dab trip. :LOL: I caught about 10 of those last rockfish season. Cooked them and ate them. Didn't like it. Too much trouble for such a small slimey thing. :Wink:

BIGRED KILLA
11-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Ya Granny i hate them every time i catch one i half to reel in 300 ft and they have a parasite in there gills and it creeps me out when they get on me.eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww chils

Bigred

Granny Fish
11-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Ya Granny i hate them every time i catch one i half to reel in 300 ft and they have a parasite in there gills and it creeps me out when they get on me.eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww chils

Bigred

Awww.... :No Pity:
Red, those parasites will protect your virility. They disinigrate when you fry them.:Wink:

BIGRED KILLA
11-10-2008, 10:57 PM
hahah they are probly good nice and crunchy.

Bigred

ghetto dad
11-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Well I'm thinking there has to be other fish around the waters they fish for sand dabs and not only dabs.

Do you know if is possible to target other fish not so deep when fishing for dabs? meaning not bottom fish...

ok....when they are fishing for dabs, the ONLY thing down on the bottom are DABS......generally, the area where they fish for them, thats ALL there are...thats why, when youre fishing for DABS, you are allowed to use 10 hooks....cuzz there is virtually no chance youll catch anything but DABS...keep in mind, i am ONLY talking about the boat that TARGETS sand DABS....

GD

ghetto dad
11-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Pin a dab on your hook and see what you catch and report back.
I'm with Red, don't sign me up for the sand dab trip. :LOL: I caught about 10 of those last rockfish season. Cooked them and ate them. Didn't like it. Too much trouble for such a small slimey thing. :Wink:

I have to disagree with that..sand dabs are EXCELLENT eating, imo of course...i like to wrap them in foil, some onions and seasoning, throw them on the grill...mmmmmmm

GD

CraigH
11-11-2008, 07:02 AM
ok....when they are fishing for dabs, the ONLY thing down on the bottom are DABS......generally, the area where they fish for them, thats ALL there are...thats why, when youre fishing for DABS, you are allowed to use 10 hooks....cuzz there is virtually no chance youll catch anything but DABS...keep in mind, i am ONLY talking about the boat that TARGETS sand DABS....

GD

I agree. I've never fished a "dabs only" trip, but I know someone who does. He uses a weird setup - main line to a weight, then something that looks like a sabiki bait rig with plain hooks, then another weight. The weights on both ends of the hook rig keep all the hooks down on the bottom. Even if there were other fish around, I don't think the boat would let you fish for them because fishing anything other than these rigs would probably cause a big tangled mess.

fish4keep
11-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Yes, you can catch other fish (if in season) but most likely you wouldn't. Like it's already mention, the dabs are more aggressive and will get to the bait first. If you don't want dabs (on the bottom) then you can flyline a bait out and hope for a mack. Once you get a mack, you can drop that down and hope for something bigger (rockfish) since the bait might be too big for the dabs....

ghetto dad
11-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Yes, you can catch other fish (if in season) but most likely you wouldn't. Like it's already mention, the dabs are more aggressive and will get to the bait first. If you don't want dabs (on the bottom) then you can flyline a bait out and hope for a mack. Once you get a mack, you can drop that down and hope for something bigger (rockfish) since the bait might be too big for the dabs....

Again, your likelyhood of catching ANYTHING else while fishing for dabs is highly unlikely....even with a strip of mack....nothing to do with them being more aggressive, its just that when you are in that dab area, you are fishing in the mud/sand ONLY.. Rockfish generally live in the rocks..:Big Grin:...they are stacked up on the bottom....

GD

BIGRED KILLA
11-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Rock fish live in the rocks wow i learn something new every day.lol my advise is dont go on a sandabs trip if you dont want sandabs.If you want rock fish go on a rock fish trip.get it lol

Bigred

olfishergal
11-12-2008, 10:33 PM
actually I love eating a grilled crunchy sanddab.....if on the moo moo, someone else gets to clean them lol.....no real skill in catching them, hook and bait on the bottom. Gives your upper arm muscles a good work out if you have 8-9 hooks on......if you go and don't want them, I;'ll take them off your hands......OFG

one_leg
11-13-2008, 01:04 PM
I like to use a single size 18 bronze treble hook with a 18" 4 lb. Berkley, 100% Flourocarbon leader and a 1/8th ounce egg sinker above a size 10 barrel swivel attached to some 6 lb Izor XXX Copolymer.

ONEKID
11-13-2008, 01:40 PM

GD

Yo, which boat is doing the dabs right now? Sand dabbing is cool for a boat ride / work out. Yea, but you won't really catch anything else because you use a huge sinker that takes you quickly down 2-300 feet to a sandy floor. But 1 time a mako pup did hit one of the dabs on the way up. The angler ended up keeping the lil guy which was sad.

Thnx.

Ricky-Ray
11-13-2008, 03:42 PM
The only boat that I know of is the Sea Angler outta 22nd. St. Landing. Here's their count for yesterday.

Sea Angler (http://www.976-tuna.com/e107_plugins/landing/landing2.php?boatmonth.163)
Wed Nov 12 2008, 07:27AM 3/4 day 13 3000 Sand Dab

FarmerK
11-13-2008, 04:29 PM
I went on a dab tip out of Hueneme a couple of years ago. This guy was so bored catching sand dabs, he threw a dine on a dropper loop and hooked a 30# hali. 200-250' down! Its a big ocean out there and anything can be possible.

Lightline
11-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Man it must take a long time for the guys to fillet these little guys. The boat must have to stop outside the harbor for at least 2 hours doing this....NO?

one_leg
11-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Don't fillet them.

Gut and gill, cut off the fins, scale them if you want to, dredge in flour, fry in butter.
They are pretty tasty.

ghetto dad
11-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Don't fillet them.

Gut and gill, cut off the fins, scale them if you want to, dredge in flour, fry in butter.
They are pretty tasty.

um....also take the heads off....the meat peels right off the carcus...mmmmm

GD

ghetto dad
11-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Man it must take a long time for the guys to fillet these little guys. The boat must have to stop outside the harbor for at least 2 hours doing this....NO?

no....they head and gut them QUICK....i dont think they scale them for you...I know when the pierpoint ran those trips, Marky used to scale them.....

GD

one_leg
11-14-2008, 10:29 AM
"I would like all 350 of my sand dabs filleted please Morgan!"

NoHo ART
11-14-2008, 10:38 AM
"I would like all 350 of my sand dabs filleted please Morgan!"

i think that's when they are gonna start trolling for some great white or makos
with the new alan lure :ROFL::EyePop::ROFL:

one_leg
11-14-2008, 10:40 AM
i think that's when they are gonna start trolling for some great white or makos
with the new alan lure :ROFL::EyePop::ROFL:

No way man, I'd twist up the line in a wicked fashion!

CraigH
11-14-2008, 10:56 AM

I caught a few sanddab on a rockfishing trip out of CISCO's years ago. They didn't fillet them, but cut the heads off at an angle in such a way that the head and guts came off with the one cut and the meat was left behind in one piece still attached to the tail. It took them all of 5 seconds each to clean the fish.

ghetto dad
11-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Nice name change...kinda confusing where there is a "LitelineR" on the board....

GD