PDA

View Full Version : Lone Pine fishing

deanhall32
11-10-2008, 07:09 AM
I will be heading up to the Lone Pine area in 2 weeks ( Nov 22-26 ). I"ve passed through there on the way to Mammoth to fish but plan on fishing the Lone Pine area this time. I need some info on where to fish and the availability of hotels. Thanks and any help will be greatly appreciated.

gwjones00
11-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Fishing season closes 11/15 in all waters west of Highway 395. Sorry! You might want to consider Bishop instead.....

deanhall32
11-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Awe- Gonna miss it by a week. Is it the same for Independence or do I need to go all the way to Bishop? Thanks again

ghetto dad
11-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Nice coach...youre all over the place man.......go get em wherever you go......

GD

Badfish2
11-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Awe- Gonna miss it by a week. Is it the same for Independence or do I need to go all the way to Bishop? Thanks again

all sierra waters are closed to trout fishin except parts of the owens, and PVR

deanhall32
11-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks BF. Guess that's why I stick to salt most of the time. Don't have to worry about closures, at least for a little bit longer!!!!! ( MPLA ).

chivo
11-10-2008, 05:34 PM
I know lots of the DWP guys up there that let me fish there little secret lakes. I move many of them up there. there cool people once you get to know them. Just don't get caught tresspassing on there property.

yeah that kinda sucks.But if you were to go up there there's lone pine creek. just go into town to any tackle shop and ask about it. I know they stock it very heavily for the size it is. Last time i went up there i caught and released about 30 in 5 hours in a very large pool that everyone fishes. i don't know, whatever you do good luck.

Badfish2
11-11-2008, 05:31 PM
and to the OP .. if you're really interested in fishin the lone pine area, the lower owens does have AMAZING trout fishing in the winter months.. so by all means fish there. IT's open and legal. So hit it up

deanhall32
11-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Oh... So I can fish in the Lone Pine area!!!! I guess I had better check in at a tackle store to be sure which areas are legal. Sounds like the eateries suck but thats okay if the fishing is good. Thanks

Badfish2
11-12-2008, 05:25 AM
Oh... So I can fish in the Lone Pine area!!!! I guess I had better check in at a tackle store to be sure which areas are legal. Sounds like the eateries suck but thats okay if the fishing is good. Thanks

Here are the regulations for the owens

Licensing and Regulations
All anglers must have a valid California fishing license in their possession while fishing, and it must be visibly displayed above the waist. Clear plastic holders for this purpose are available at any bait or tackle shop. Only one pole per fisherman may be used.

Depending on which stretch of the Owens you're fishing, assorted special regulations may apply. These can be found on the DFG website (follow the link below), and are summarized as follows:

- Except as noted below, the Owens River is open to fishing year round. The bag limit is five fish in possession, although from the first Saturday in March through October 31 five fish may be taken per day with a total of 10 in possession.

- Along that stretch of the Owens River from the Benton Bridge Road crossing upstream to where U.S. 395 crosses the river, fishing is allowed from the last Saturday in April through November 15. Maximum size limit is 16 inches total length, with a bag limit of 2 fish in possession. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used.

- From the Benton Bridge Road crossing downstream to the Owens River fishing monument (located about 1/4 mile above the maximum lake level for Crowley Lake), fishing is allowed from the Saturday preceding Memorial Day through September 30. Five fish may be taken per day, with a maximum of 10 fish in possession.

- From the fishing monument downstream to Crowley Lake, including the lake itself, fishing is allowed from the last Saturday in April through November 15. Five fish may be taken per day for a total of 10 fish in possession up through July 31. From August 1 through November 15, a minimum size limit of 18 inches total length applies, with a bag limit of 2 fish in possession. During this time period only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used.

- From Pleasant Valley Dam downstream to the footbridge at the lower end of Pleasant Valley Campground, fishing is allowed year round. From January 1 through September 30, the bag limit is two fish in possession. From October 1 through December 31, only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used, and no fish may be kept.

-From the footbridge at Pleasant Valley Campground to the redwood fishing regulations sign located 3.3 miles downstream, fishing is permitted all year. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used, and no fish may be kept.

The California Department of Fish and Game has the complete

deanhall32
11-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks BF2,

I have fished the Owens River from the Crowley area down to the PVR. I didn't know that the Owens river reached Lone Pine where it was fishable. Thanks for the information!!

retired96
11-12-2008, 07:12 AM
Keep in mind the section of the Owens river from Lone Pine to 65 miles north is considered the Lower Owens River project, which was dry until they started running water in it in Dec. 2006 after numerous lawsuits which LA City lost in court. That section currently is not stocked by DFG and access is difficult. Your best bet would be the river out of Big Pine or drive a little farther to Bishop and fish off of Warm Springs, Collins Road or East Line St.

The Owens River had some good fishing in fall and winter and the flows are perfect right now..

deanhall32
11-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks Retired,

I still plan on going there and it looks like I will be heading further north to get to some waters that have fish in them. Thanks for the information...

one_leg
11-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Ninja fish it Coach.

BishopTrouter
11-12-2008, 05:05 PM
If your still planning on fishing lone pine, hit up Diaz lake... its about 3 miles before town on your left side if your drivin up from LA. Its open year round and it has a pretty nice campground. ive only fished it once but they do stock it on occasion and its known for some warmwater fishing too...

deanhall32
11-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks. We have decided to head on up to either Independence or Bishop. Going up there with no reservations and no real agenda other than fishing. Kind of free-balling it. Figure I can go into a bait and tackle store and ask where the hot spots have been. Gonna hit up Manzanar on the way back. I always drive by and never stop.........

gwjones00
11-17-2008, 05:54 PM
If you are thinking about Bishop, check the third post down in this thread.... http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=25239

Badfish2
11-18-2008, 01:52 AM
I was just up at the Pleasant Valley Resevoir this past weekend and it was on fire..Easy limits man. Caught most on white sierra gold with a 2 foot leader casted out about 50 feet.

deanhall32
11-18-2008, 07:04 AM
If you are thinking about Bishop, check the third post down in this thread.... http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=25239

Thanks Mr. Jones,

Very good information. Now I can't wait to go even more!!! I'm printing a copy of this and taking it with me.