PDA

View Full Version : First time no success!!!

adiablo420
11-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Me , my brother n law, zeke and robert headed out to Redondo pier for our first lobster net hooping experience.. I've been doing some research on how to set up , what to use, and when to go.. I set up my two hoops with mackeral in metal bait cages and didnt hit a thing but a small sculpin. I've always heard that some of the best times to go out is when a storm is hitting. It got real windy, the waves were huge. Didnt seem like we were at a good spot at all. nobody else was hitting by us either.. We will be definitely be trying to get out on a boat next time. but any suggestions on the pier hooping??

Re8elmonk0341
11-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Dondo pier never do any good when the wind is blowing or water is crappy. I've done good on a "normal" night. But all I've caught was rock crabs.

trlrtrsh67
11-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Bummer on the first try man.

I don't know much about pier hooping personally, just what I've read on reports and it always seems to be only a few shorts and VERY few legals...but thats not first hand experience!

Better luck on the next trip!

BIGRED KILLA
11-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Next time try Santa monica.Thanks for the report better luck next time

Bigred

adiablo420
11-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Next time try Santa monica.Thanks for the report better luck next time

Bigred

it sounds like the more north u go, the better, unless your in the san diego area.. have u had any success at Santa monica.

BLUNTdBANDIT
11-11-2008, 11:36 AM
hey diablo,

yeah redondo sucks. everyone is packed into the middle of the pier...and no fishing at the end?! for some dumb reason. but I definitely agree, better lobster fishing at Santa Monica. Just toss your crab net around the end of the pier or somewhere close to the end of the pier...even underneath the pier. I've caught many lobsters there. Just make sure they're legal and in season. I've seen alot of people get busted out there too. But nowadays, there are people overfishing it out there...meaning, one guy will come with 3 or 4 poles and 2-3 crab nets!?! Ridiculous!!

BIGRED KILLA
11-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I never hooped at santa monica new a couple people that did they got some.I also walked on the pier with freinds and people were getting them with some nice size and clean spider crabs and rock crabs.

Bigred

DEADROOTS
11-11-2008, 06:00 PM
but any suggestions on the pier hooping??

Ya I suggest that it sucks! The only way that ill go to the pier again is if I take my college club out for a fishing experience. You don't need any licensing there!

adiablo420
11-11-2008, 10:03 PM
thanks for the info guys... definitely will post up my next run out to the pier.. we'll have to see what santa monica has to offier.

FISHSTIX
11-14-2008, 12:00 PM
i heard the ventura pier produces pretty good but this was a year ago...good luck w/e you go

adiablo420
11-14-2008, 12:39 PM
i heard the ventura pier produces pretty good but this was a year ago...good luck w/e you go

thanks for the reports guys.. confidence is building up again and about to explode..lol

one_leg
11-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Sorry to hear that you came home empty handed. Better luck next time!!!

Ya I suggest that it sucks! The only way that ill go to the pier again is if I take my college club out for a fishing experience. You don't need any licensing there!

You need a Lobster report card to take bugs or you can end up paying a big big fine.

Starting Sept. 27, the opening day of a recreational lobster season that extends to March 18, every person attempting to take spiny lobsters must have a Spiny Lobster Report Card. The cost is $7.50, and the cards are available at the DFG's office, 4949 Viewridge Ave., and at many tackle stores.
Anglers 16 and older – whether they're hoop-netters or free or scuba divers – must have a fishing license and an Ocean Enhancement Stamp in addition to the lobster report card. Kids under 16, although not required to have a fishing license, must have a Spiny Lobster Report Card if they're accompanying adults on trips. Report cards also are required for people fishing from a pier, where a fishing license is not required.
The report card must be filled out immediately after fishing a certain spot. And if you dive from shore, the report card must be within 500 yards of the point of entry.

But nowadays, there are people overfishing it out there...meaning, one guy will come with 3 or 4 poles and 2-3 crab nets!?! Ridiculous!!

It also isn't illegal to use more than two rods on a public pier.

Have fun.