PDA

View Full Version : mackerel recipes?

BishopTrouter
11-09-2008, 03:41 PM
I usually never keep mackerel for anything more than bait... a few years ago i tried it out and found it wayyy too strong and fishy for my liking. Ive heard that its one of the safer fish to eat off our coasts and that it is used in sushi and other kinds of asian dishes.

So if thats the case, does anyone know of anyway to prepare it and cook it to make it actually worthy of eating?

one_leg
11-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Paging....RobertTroutHunter

RobertTroutHunter, will tell you all you need to know about cooking Mackrel and eating it. :LOL:

I like Saba as long as it is fresh fresh fresh. Saba is Mackrel Sashimi (raw mackrel).

MarkyMark
11-09-2008, 06:37 PM
My wife cooks the smaller ones..it's strong, but not bad

Ricky-Ray
11-09-2008, 11:50 PM
I've heard that spanish macks are pretty good eating. Any macks I've kept I alway's gave them to my buddy so he could use it for shark chum.

sansou
11-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Here's my Mack recipe....

You take a fresh big one, and fillet off one nice thick and long bloody side.

Pin it with a long shanked 7/0, and drop it down with 8 ounces of lead....the idea being you want to exchange it for a ling. :LOL:

In all seriousness, I hope Funjunkie74 answers your question. He knows a bit about this subject.

tpfishnfool
12-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Here is how to prepare Makerel . Put in sealed bag. walk outside. Put in trash can. Close lid. Hope to god your cat dont knock over the trash on trash day. If you aint keeping for bait , chuck it man ! Not worth the effort !!

samgann93
12-02-2008, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=sansou;264021]Here's my Mack recipe....

Pin it with a long shanked 7/0, and drop it down with 8 ounces of lead....the idea being you want to exchange it for a ling. :LOL:QUOTE]

i agree. haha

~larissa
12-04-2008, 08:20 AM
well here's mine...

vinegar
pepper corn
minced garlic (lots of it)
sugar
salt
bay leaves

marinade it for a few days then fry it up. the vinegar kinda kills that really fishy taste.

SanDimasLMB
12-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Spanish Mackeral is AMAZING! Its one of the many delicacies you will find on a sushi list.

For regular Pacific Mackeral:

1. Take fillets
2. Mix together sake (japanese rice wine), soy sauce, and brown sugar. Heat up a little if neccessary to mix sugar.
3. Marinate fillets in sauce.
4. Take a normal pan and cook.

You should have a generic Teriyaki Mackeral fillet after.

kozaki
12-25-2008, 05:20 PM
one word: MISO
If you've never had it, go to your local Marukai and try an already prepared fillet of Miso Mackerel (sabamiso). Broil it until slightly crisp. Enjoy with plenty of white rice, sesame seeds, and Furakaki (if available). OR. . . .

per Captain Gary Nordby:
Recipe for Mackerel, Bonito, and Skipjack
1. Fill a large pot with water, tsp. of salt and bring to a boil.
2. Add celery, potatoes, carrots, and any other vegetables and spices of your choice. simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add gunny sack with whole Mackerel to boiling water. Simmer for an hour.
4. Pull the gunny sack out of the pot and dump the fish into the trash. Enjoy the gunny sack.

I miss that crazy guy.

BIGRED KILLA
12-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Here's my Mack recipe....

Pin it with a long shanked 7/0, and drop it down with 8 ounces of lead....the idea being you want to exchange it for a ling. :LOL:

In all seriousness, I hope Funjunkie74 answers your question. He knows a bit about this subject.

Rich you dream to much i know you love squid strips.I would put it down in a lobster trap cause lings are out of season.

Bigred

BIGRED KILLA
12-25-2008, 06:32 PM
one word: MISO
If you've never had it, go to your local Marukai and try an already prepared fillet of Miso Mackerel (sabamiso). Broil it until slightly crisp. Enjoy with plenty of white rice, sesame seeds, and Furakaki (if available). OR. . . .

per Captain Gary Nordby:
Recipe for Mackerel, Bonito, and Skipjack
1. Fill a large pot with water, tsp. of salt and bring to a boil.
2. Add celery, potatoes, carrots, and any other vegetables and spices of your choice. simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add gunny sack with whole Mackerel to boiling water. Simmer for an hour.
4. Pull the gunny sack out of the pot and dump the fish into the trash. Enjoy the gunny sack.

I miss that crazy guy.

Wow a tsp of salt you must love your sacks salty.:Wink:

Bigred

SanDimasLMB
12-25-2008, 09:07 PM

Bigred

lol, wow! :ROFL:

kozaki
12-25-2008, 10:01 PM

Bigred

I bet you patted your own *** for that one! :Wink:

Sparky70
12-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Use those macks 4 catfish bait. :Dead Horse::Dead Horse::Dead Horse:

chris
02-14-2009, 03:16 PM
i had some saba or mackeral today at the sushi restaurant it was great. They prepare it with the skin on and some sort of vinegar wine.

KaliDawgFan
02-14-2009, 06:50 PM
This is an old recipe my grand-dad taught me. Filet both sides of the fish, and then cut them into 1 inch strips. Next you put those on a size 1 circle hook, toss it into a lake and wait for the catfish to bite it.

J. Owen
02-14-2009, 08:09 PM
ok man id ont eat it but i have
gut it like you would a trout & cut off head
heavely better inside and out
and garlick salt
wrap in foil
bake until done
not the best but it can be done
like everone else said use it for bait exchange it for something better

snag
02-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Smoke um, they get you stoned!

dixoncider
04-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Spanish Mackeral is AMAZING! Its one of the many delicacies you will find on a sushi list.

For regular Pacific Mackeral:

1. Take fillets
2. Mix together sake (japanese rice wine), soy sauce, and brown sugar. Heat up a little if neccessary to mix sugar.
3. Marinate fillets in sauce.
4. Take a normal pan and cook.

You should have a generic Teriyaki Mackeral fillet after.

These are good because the are NOT Mackeral. They are jacks.

megafisher94
04-04-2009, 01:26 PM

Bigred
wow... lol

Skyler
04-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Just soak it in milk overnight, and you'll be amazed at how much of that fishy flavor can be removed. As for a good recipe, tempura batter and fry it, and use Soy Vey Veri Veri Terriyaki with a bit of wasabi mixed in as a dipping sauce. Simple and delicious. Works good for smelt too.

BrownTrout
04-10-2009, 02:43 PM
that sounds pretty good. im going to give it a try. i know there are others recipes out there. good tip on the milk.

the sushi bars also soak the saba in something overnite to reduce the fishy flavor. i think it has vinegar in it. i'll have to ask next time. i have had whole broiled smelt at a sushi bar that were awesome.

Skyler
04-13-2009, 10:53 AM
that sounds pretty good. im going to give it a try. i know there are others recipes out there. good tip on the milk.

the sushi bars also soak the saba in something overnite to reduce the fishy flavor. i think it has vinegar in it. i'll have to ask next time. i have had whole broiled smelt at a sushi bar that were awesome.

Yeah, i wonder why more people don't view smelt as a viable food source. I prefer it as a food over its bait uses. Clean firm white meat, and you can eat it raw if you want. Tastes a lot like a rockfish actually. Catch a nice 10-16"er and you are set.

BishopTrouter
04-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Just soak it in milk overnight, and you'll be amazed at how much of that fishy flavor can be removed. As for a good recipe, tempura batter and fry it, and use Soy Vey Veri Veri Terriyaki with a bit of wasabi mixed in as a dipping sauce. Simple and delicious. Works good for smelt too.

Yeah that sounds like something i should try... i had Saba for the first time last week and was surprised to find it quite good actually, could the fact that the mackerel is uncooked maybe suggest that when it is cooked the taste of fishiness comes out more?

Skyler
04-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Yeah that sounds like something i should try... i had Saba for the first time last week and was surprised to find it quite good actually, could the fact that the mackerel is uncooked maybe suggest that when it is cooked the taste of fishiness comes out more?

The cooking process only imparts that "fishiness" if you allow the juices to sit with the meat during the process. Try BBQing a few fillets some time. It comes out a lot like Wahoo. If you are gonna deep/pan fry or bake it, definitely soak it in milk overnight (if you have cats or dogs, they absolutely LOVE the runnoff when you drain the meat the next day). Another good tip is that lime juice kills a lot of that fishy flavor. We Californians can probably think of a few good uses for some lime-drenched fish, right?

BTW, yes, saba is the best way to eat it by far, but it's not really a "recipe" he he he. Nothing like going to the pier with a bottle of soy sauce, a bottle of Sriracha, and a tube of wasabi. Good times...

BishopTrouter
04-15-2009, 10:12 PM
BTW, yes, saba is the best way to eat it by far, but it's not really a "recipe" he he he. Nothing like going to the pier with a bottle of soy sauce, a bottle of Sriracha, and a tube of wasabi. Good times...

Hahaha well fish IS always best fresh... Would u suggest bleeding them just like they do bonita? And are they even safe to eat if caught off the local piers?

YANKEES4LIFE
04-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Serious Lars?

well here's mine...

vinegar
pepper corn
minced garlic (lots of it)
sugar
salt
bay leaves

marinade it for a few days then fry it up. the vinegar kinda kills that really fishy taste.

Nu_AbGatr
04-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Clean them well and cut the heads off. Salt, pepper and garlic pwdr, then roll them on some cornstarch. Heat some oil in a frying pan, then brown some slices of ginger, fry fish until the skin turns crispy brown and enjoy. Ginger neutralizes the fishy smell and taste. If you don't believe me, ask a filipino grandma....