PDA

View Full Version : Launching A Tube

SiouxK
11-08-2008, 01:07 AM
How in the heck does one launch a tube?

Flying
11-08-2008, 03:07 AM
With a open front tube walk in backwards with the tube beside you. Hold on to the tube at all time for balance as the fins(already on) can make walking clumsy plus you never know what is in the water. I will go in around knee deep then pull the tube behind me to sit. I have a front cross bar and strap so I will actually clamp those first before sitting.

Try to find a nice gradual sloping shore line. If the shore line is steep I will get the tube behind me as soon as possible.

Practice walking with your fins at home or in the yard. I can walk forward in my Force Fins but must fins won't allow this. Don't take big steps,you want to take small slide/steps.

To get out just stand up and move the tube away from you.

Nessie Hunter
11-08-2008, 07:18 AM
Trial & error... Every one does it different but almost the same....

I put my fins on AFTER getting in...

Find suitable location, gentler the slope the better..
Put tube in water and walk it out to depth that will allow you to sit in it without hitting bottom of lake etc.. Maybe mid calf deep or more..

As tube floats now, I put rods etc on it (that I carry by hand to launch spot.
I also have tethers that fasten to rods, hook those up. Terminal tackle is already secure in pockets.
Turn the tube so you can sit in it, carefully sit down (careful, cuz it will push away as you sit and "your goin down", LOL).
Here is where I put my fins on, then close stripping apron, arrange my gear and fish away...

I use stocking foot waders and have open front sandals (strap is across arch of foot only, so stocking foot will go in) to walk in, or light neoprene booties (depends on location & whether I am wearing waders or not).
After I get in tube, I take off sandals and put on fins (ODC Tube has area behind seat to throw them in).. It is pretty hard to keep balance and walk with fins on so this is my way of having more control & balance etc....

Reverse this when getting out..
Semi-Land to shallow spot, open apron, take off fins (throw them in back, Stand up, get sandals and slide foot in, pick up gear and either pull tube to grounded spot and safely put rods etc in OK spot.. Then take tube out of water (making sure all compartments are closed and secure) one hand tube over shoulder, pick up rods, fins etc with other hand and walk to car etc......

Sounds like a lot to do, but doing it is easy as pie after a time or two....

Get your own rhythm and system and its a piece of cake...