PDA

View Full Version : Opening Night Antics

CoffeaRobusta
11-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Hey....late report I know.

I tried hoopin off Seal Beach Pier on opening night. Got there around 11 and fished until midnight when I threw out the hoop.

It wasn't a great night for bugs. Every pull just brought up salad. One time there was a yellowfin croaker caught in the mesh. Fishing was slow too, only caught small YFCs.

What made the night special was the wadens showing up. They cruised the pier in their "undercover" shirts checkin people for report cards. Nice! That's only the second time I have ever been checked by DFG while fishing.

About an hour after DFG left, a boat cruises in on the north side of the pier, within 100-150 ft. I could hear divers gearing up, and then, sure enough, lights and divers in the water. Divers near the SB pier? They got a boat. why not look somewhere else more productive?

Well they're down there about 30-40 mins. A one point a diver returned to the vessel and I could see people looking at his dive bag, but I couldn't tell what he had in it.

Then SB police show up, and call the boat over. They take their time pullin anchor and they finally get over to the pier. "What you guys divin for?", la policia asks. "Nothin'. Ain't nothin' down there", one guy responds, real surly like. The kind of response like you are hiding something.

At that moment SB police get a higher priority call so they bug out. The boat bugs out. And I ask one of the people that was fishing closer to the action what was going on. She said that boats weren't allowed that close to the pier. And claimed that her line had been cut by the divers. Crazy, no?

Anyway no bugs that night but got a great show.