PDA

View Full Version : Going to northwest part of Maui

Coach D'
11-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Hey all, My family of 6 will be taking our first vacation and plan to do some fishing. Any tips/recommendations for charter, inland, and shore fishing...oh yeah, what about spear fishing??
Take own gear? Lure types, techniques? Any info (stay away froms) will be much appreciated.

I'll be looking forward to giving a nice report when we get back.

dcashley84
11-13-2008, 03:21 PM
im leaving for maui tomorrow nov 13th... i want to do some fishing too... did you get any info?

Loggoog
11-23-2008, 07:53 PM
I go to Maui every year, and always fish from both shore, as well as offshore. I fish the shore using both shrmp, and little blue and orange jigs for Papio and reef fish. I suspect you will be in the Napili, Kapalua area as you say northwest. Fishing is great from shore, and many fish are edible, such as Papio (bluefin trevally), goatfish, flounder, and damselfish. There are many offshore charters out of Lahaina, and Ma'alia Harbors. Check in their yellowpages for numbers. Great Ono (wahoo) Mahi Mahi (dorado) Ahi (yellowfin tuna), even at times Opah (Hawaiian Moonfish), Marlin and big Ulua (trevally) are caught at this time.

Have a great stay on Maui! Aloha.

-Loggoog