PDA

View Full Version : Completely off topic re: post on SW board...but.....

FemaleFishinFool
11-05-2008, 04:37 AM
One of those threads depicted a peculiar looking red fish with a thick, yet elongated body.

A link to a desc of the fish stated, among other things "....The Red Brotula, seldom seen by humans, is not readily confused with any other species. It has never been caught via hook and line, and is of limited interest to most."

Wouldn't this catch then have been of some interest to a marine biologist....AoP.....Ichthyologist......?!?!?!

Don't SW afficiando's aka the "Stewards of The Oceans" aka guys that own/operate those fishing boats for hire "look" to see what's caught and 'practice' (for lack of a better word) custodianship of our oceanic resouces?!?!?

Based on the statements made (if you follow the link: www.mexfish.com/fish/rdbrot/rdbrot.htm ) and other attempts to research this creature, there is minimal, at best, info available. If a fish such as this is rarely seen by humans shoudn't someone in a position of authority (in this case the Capt) be cognizant of what is being caught and the potential impact of a discovery such as this? (i.e. make some effort to keep such a rare fish alive long enuff to have a M-bio examine it or at the very least, conduct a necropsy??? )

Lord knows there are thousands of species of plants and animals on this Earth that have been proven to have medicinal, life-saving properties humans may benefit from. And I am CERTAIN there and tens of thousands more we've yet to discover.

Who knows what the rarest of the rare creatures lurking in our oceans have to offer.......

It's just a thought......
It's late.... early?!?!?
I'm an insomniac....
And the election pundits are giving me a headache!!!

~FFF
(stepping off the podium :Soap Box:

DarkShadow
11-05-2008, 11:00 AM
I bet that thing made some yummy fish tacos tho.

one_leg
11-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Medicinal? I would have smoked it to see how it tasted.

Smoked fish tastes great.