PDA

View Full Version : Slabbin' Missuri

chivo
11-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Went out for a little bit lookin' for some action. This is my favorite time to fish missouri rivers and streams for everything and anything. Fished a small stream/river that i hit up all the time 35 minutes south of St. Louis on the I44. Don't know the name but i can get my truck right next to the bridge. Walked down in the water for about 40-45 minutes to a place where i usually go because there's some incredible pools(deep and shallow) also tree's and some stumps thrown in with the mix. This is a very secluded area, the only way in and out is a hike up the stream from the interstate frontage road.

Only brought a small container from my tackle box with my small river tackle favorites. Most of the time i used small blade dancers or small kastmasters. After 2 1/2 hours i had caught and released a very very large number of fish. From grass carp to green sunfish to white and black crappies to flathead cats, all on lures or gulp earthworms. I can tell you this i had over 40 crappies (Largest was1 1/4lbs), 50 green sunfish and 20 small and largemouth bass (ALL OVER 1LB, Largest was a 4-4 1/2lb Smallie.) 1 flathead cat, 3 Blue cats, 3 grass carp and 10 or so bluegills. It was an unreal advernture. Traveling the country in my semi is the greatest career i could imagine. Fishing around the country is great. I've hit some spots that BLOW So Cal out of the water by a very long shot. This was truely one of them. Didn't bring my camera cause i was in the water for a bit, but i wish i did.
Now i'm on my way to tulsa to hit up my all time favorite place to crappie fish, Ft. Gibson,OK. My PB slab was out of there. it was 3 1/4lbs. I'm gonna grab some minnows and hit up the dock tonight.I WILL have my camera for this one so if you see another report from my tomarrow check it out.

El Weirdo
11-05-2008, 11:31 AM
right on...next time in tulsa hit up mohawk part.. by the airport.to the east side there is a creek that runs along the golf course....the bigger holes hold some huge bass...seem some toads being caught..and sadly kept..but hey..this is their fishing hole...sabes..
good luck at ft gibson..i wish i had more time to fish it when i was there...

Ifishtoolittle
11-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Sounds like a incredible trip man, by the way what pound test were you using. Considering the range of fish you were pounding I'm interested in what pound line you were using.

Liteliner
11-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Nice job man. I love river fishing. You never know what your gonna catch. I used to have those kind of days on the st. croix river in minnesota in the spring. Just throwin white feather jigs and you catch smallies, largemouths, crappie, northerns, walleye, whitebass, and bluegills along with an occasional sucker fish all spring long. Thanks for the report. I cant wait to get back to the midwest for a visit in november... How did you do in tulsa?

cjschock
11-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Nothing like fishing in the south

crappiemike
11-06-2008, 10:40 PM
way to go chivo! keep those post coming...
sounds like we might have to call you
crappiechivo!

cm

chivo
11-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Sounds like a incredible trip man, by the way what pound test were you using. Considering the range of fish you were pounding I'm interested in what pound line you were using.

4lb line on my ultralight

one_leg
11-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the report and congrats to you.

chivo
11-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Nice job man. I love river fishing. You never know what your gonna catch. I used to have those kind of days on the st. croix river in minnesota in the spring. Just throwin white feather jigs and you catch smallies, largemouths, crappie, northerns, walleye, whitebass, and bluegills along with an occasional sucker fish all spring long. Thanks for the report. I cant wait to get back to the midwest for a visit in november... How did you do in tulsa?

i've fished a few rivers and creeks in minnasota during summer. Don't remember the names but it was near Rochester,MN. I know what your talking about, i had some unbeleivable times up there.

chivo
11-07-2008, 06:33 PM
We'll about Ft. Gibson, it wasn't as i had hoped.Caught many but they were all smaller size and the biggest fish i caught was a 10 1/2inch gill on a minnow.I'm headed home and i'll be there for a few, so hopefully i'll be postin some local reports next week. Oh and maybe next time i go to ft gibson i'll get a couple slabby's.

Ifishtoolittle
11-09-2008, 01:50 PM
4lb line on my ultralight

4lb! Nice man!