PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Fish to Target from the Surf?

Sinjin Kim
10-31-2008, 12:53 PM
I am writing surf fishing articles and would like to know the fish you prefer targeting most from shore.

If you target specific fish depending on the time of year, please elaborate. Thanks.

tacklejunkie
10-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Any fish that will bite my offering. I'd suppose preferably halibut or sand bass.

I like fishing the LC the most cause I know anything will hit it given the right situation. Therefore, my answer would correctly be "Anything that will hit the LC".

Let's face it, throwing hardbaits is one of the funnest ways to catch fish when it's on. But when I'm having a tough day on the LC in the salt I'm not scared to go to a C-rig w/ fresh made, frozen bait or sandworms or something. It's a long drive to the beach.. and I've landed at least one fish every trip out using this strategy. :Wink:
I usually try for an early hookset on bait for a higher survival rate whenever possible.

When it comes to fresh, I won't resort to bait unless I'm after cats or striper cause I'm not very good at fishing artificials for striper.

(I'm a newb to salt still so I can't elaborate on time of year vs. species preference.. but so far I liked summer better than winter cause the hali's were hittin easy!)

fishmaniac
10-31-2008, 01:34 PM
Jetty bassin is great all year round!

atfish
10-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Whats your site?

Sinjin Kim
10-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Whats your site?

I am not allowed to mention it on FNN. But if you send me a PM, I can link you to the proper destination.

City Dad
10-31-2008, 02:43 PM
My schedule dictates where I fish. The closest beach to me is full of perch, so I guess that's what I'm targeting. I prefer to flyfish for them, but won't hesitate to whip out the spinning gear when conditions aren't good for the long rod.

howstar
10-31-2008, 03:10 PM
Mine is more from a tube in the bays. Love me some butts guess i'm a butt man :LOL: