PDA

View Full Version : YF Tuna + Rockcods

arctic
10-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Was down fishing with couple other buddies an hour south of Ensenada in mexico for YF Tuna past saturday, the weather was perfect with winds of approx 11mph and temp around the mid 70's. Launched around 7am and fished for some live bait and small mackarel for the first half hour before we went out some 18miles or so. Setup was us 4 + the captain would be trolling for the first couple hours and see how the bite was. It was a small boat average of some 16' long. we trolled 6 rods mainly using rapala magnum xraps of different colors. some green mac, blue mac, sardine.... we saw many birds around the region and short after bammmm!!! my buddy got his first hit, 20lb+ YT tuna. around 10:30am we spotted a school of dolfines so we chased them and trolled by them landing a couple more tunas. Trolling so many lines we did get some crazy tangle and lost precious time during the frenzy. Later the bit died so we decided so do some bottom fish. Baited our hooks with cut squid and droped them with 12oz torpedo sinkers down some 400ft or so... it was damn deep but the current was moderate. at this depth i wouldnt recomend mono but braided line since there would be so much strech and you wont feel the bites as hard. anyways first drop landed a 8lb vermilion which weighed a ton. we fished until 2pm and landed over 60 vermilion / white fish ave 3-4each. It was a great day and the bites were strong.. thanks for reading

arctic

thomasfishing
10-29-2008, 10:55 AM
great catch. I always wonder how much a trip like that would cost? any info would greatly be appreciated. p.s do you need a passport to re enter the US? thanks in advance

arctic
10-29-2008, 11:51 AM
place ive been down there at mexico charge by boat launch.... usually 175-250$ going some 10miles out (some 150-300ft depth). for the tuna its like 350-400 the boat. each boat lets say 4-5 ppl so then the cost is divided along with your travel expenses. and yes you do need passport or some other entry card thing (not ur driver license) to enter US.

sansou
10-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Great report!

It never ceases to amaze me how the good the codding is down there. Congrats on the 8lb red.

FYI....birth certificate and a valid driver license still works for re-entry....but not for long.

howstar
10-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Great report. I was on a boat this weekend and they said that they were getting Yellow Fin below the 209 we were at the 390. Thanks for the report. What they say over the radio is true.

pipelayer5150
10-29-2008, 05:38 PM
hey arctic were you in san quintin last weekend too we slayed the fish mex limits every day on yellow fins from 20-35 lbs!!!!!! plus a few small yellow tails and 2 dorado, check this link its to my buddies dads boat that he runs outa don eddies in san quintin. Ask around and everyone in san quintin will tell you capt juan is the fish wisperer. earlier this year he was putting multiple 30-60lb white sea bass a day on the deck.

http://www.bajafishingcaptain.com/

BIGRED KILLA
10-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the pics and report looks like you guys had a blast out there.

Bigred

pokerface12
10-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Nice report. I'm glad you guys had a great day of fishing. Nice YFT btw and congrats on a great trip.

Oz
10-29-2008, 07:42 PM
niceeeee...looks like u had a blast. glad u got on the fish. great picz

arctic
10-30-2008, 07:43 AM
[QUOTE=pipelayer5150;259088]hey arctic were you in san quintin last weekend too we slayed the fish mex limits every day on yellow fins from 20-35 lbs!!!!!! plus a few small yellow tails and 2 dorado, check this link its to my buddies dads boat that he runs outa don eddies in san quintin. Ask around and everyone in san quintin will tell you capt juan is the fish wisperer. earlier this year he was putting multiple 30-60lb white sea bass a day on the deck.

http://www.bajafishingcaptain.com/[/QUw

pipelayer

we didnt go as south to down to san quintin. the place was in between ensenada and sanquintin approx 1 hour drive south of ensenada. dont remember wat the place was called tough. i forgot to mention that trip we also caught a couple smaller dorado some 10lbs or so. one caught trolling with rapala and the other live bait with mackarel.

~larissa
10-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Great report !!!

and i love the before and after pics. well the after pics made me hungry and yah, a fat hungry gal is not a good thing at work :Angry:

anyways... looks like ya'll had loads of fun...

russ88
10-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Dang lots of fishies.... I'm sure u had catching those bad boys. Bet it was also a feast at your dinner table!

JapanRon
10-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi arctic,

Nice job on the top-water fishys !! 400 ft !! Now that's WORK .... even for an 8lb Red !!

Thanks,

JapanRon