PDA

View Full Version : twilight run 4/14

aspastic
04-15-2007, 10:07 AM
i when with my gf and a friend on the new del mar on one of their twilight runs. it wasnt very packed so that was nice and the captain said we were only 15 mins away from the fishing spot. :D i was pretty excited because i heard that the day before there were 16 ppl and all together the got about 100 sand bass!

...our trip didnt do as good. the boat was using frozen squid and everyone was squid-and-jigging. so we did that for a while and caught nothing so i switched to plastics and caught to small sculpins. the boat moved to a couple of spots and along the way my gf got seasick. the waves were pretty rough and to top it off there were only 2 sandbass (nice ones too) that i saw pulled up. someone else caught a bat ray but that was it. overall it was not a very good trip but i still enjoyed being out on the water. and its pretty neat seeing where i fish on the shore from the water.

this was only my second time out on one of these fishing boats and it didnt go too well... better luck next time :?

Greg Madrigal
04-15-2007, 10:48 AM
No worries bro. Here's the deal:

:soapbox:

IF YOU DON'T PUT IN YOUR TIME ON THE WATER, YOU WILL NEVER HAVE AN EPIC DAY!

So, my point is, with this "crappy" day behind you, you are now one step closer to that "epic day" that you will remember forvever! :D
Thanks for the report, my condolences to the gf, and keep on trying. It WILL get better!

GM

JapanRon
04-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi aspastic,

Good for you on the plastics! I like Gregs attitude..... how true ..... how true.

I take it from another angle, the more time on the water ...... the more importance you will give to timing. Timing is everything on a moo-moo from when to rig-up, change tactics, switch fishy targets ......... the whole thing.

Just becoming familiar with how a typical boat operates and anticipating fishing opprotunities will help you to become a consistantly successful (catch-wise) moo-moo patron!!

JapanRon

victor101
04-15-2007, 04:15 PM
hey i was supposed to be there last night...well now im kinda glad i wasnt. lol. well the new del mar is a great boat with a great crew. i had the same problem today on the betty-o. really big swells and a not so happy stomach. just give it some time. it should get better once the swells lay down some. my fist couple times out all i cought was mackeral. and remember the motion sickness pills! :mrgreen:

whilke
04-18-2007, 04:00 PM
i when with my gf and a friend on the new del mar on one of their twilight runs. it wasnt very packed so that was nice and the captain said we were only 15 mins away from the fishing spot. :D i was pretty excited because i heard that the day before there were 16 ppl and all together the got about 100 sand bass!...

If you got that fish count from the official posted count I wouldn't believe it. I almost never believe the fish reports on open party boats unless it comes from someone that was there (someone on this site, or a friend). They will always inflate the numbers, if they have low fish counts they will have low sales the next day.

I've been on several open boats that I checked the reported fish count on to notice how over inflated they make them sometimes.

Funjunkie74
04-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Hey, I'd rather be on a boat fishing...versus sitting here at my desk wishing I was fishing....reading about how you went fishing....fish or no fish....it's still better than where I'm at.... :nopity: :nopity: :nopity:

ghetto dad
04-19-2007, 08:01 AM
i when with my gf and a friend on the new del mar on one of their twilight runs. it wasnt very packed so that was nice and the captain said we were only 15 mins away from the fishing spot. :D i was pretty excited because i heard that the day before there were 16 ppl and all together the got about 100 sand bass!...

If you got that fish count from the official posted count I wouldn't believe it. I almost never believe the fish reports on open party boats unless it comes from someone that was there (someone on this site, or a friend). They will always inflate the numbers, if they have low fish counts they will have low sales the next day.

I've been on several open boats that I checked the reported fish count on to notice how over inflated they make them sometimes.

Not all landing inflate fish counts......its funny when someone reads the paper, see X amount of fish caught, they happpend to be on the boat that day, and notices that the count was off, they automatically assume the count was inflated (this is NOT directed towards you). I have personally turned in counts to a newspaper, and had people calling regarding the "50 yellows" we got, etc, when in fact we didnt get any......sometimes, the office guys will make mistakes, sometimes the papers will make mistakes, etc. Botom line is, any boat that in fact DOES do this, they are cutting their own throat, becuase chances are people that were actually on the trip in question will see that the count was wrong, and never fish that boat again...so, IMO, this does not happen as often as people think it does......just my two cents...peace!!

CalamARI
04-19-2007, 02:15 PM
I know what you mean G-dad, I went out on a boat a few weeks ago and checked the counts the night before, it had the usual rockfish along with 100 sand bass. I brought along a bass rod, but it turns out someone made a typo and the boat had caught 100 sand dab :roll:
No big deal, it was good for a laugh though.

ghetto dad
04-20-2007, 08:45 AM
I know what you mean G-dad, I went out on a boat a few weeks ago and checked the counts the night before, it had the usual rockfish along with 100 sand bass. I brought along a bass rod, but it turns out someone made a typo and the boat had caught 100 sand dab :roll:
No big deal, it was good for a laugh though.

:rofl: lol...sorry about that man....I was just making a point that it seems like most people assume if the count is wrong (not like the day they fished), then the boat inflated the count....lol..sand dabs...lol....one time, a few years back, i called the paper and turned in like 75 yellowfin croaker for our catalina boat along with the other misc stuff....OMG, the paper put us down for yellowfin TUNA...OMFG.....the phones were going OFF for a week after that......it was crazy.....