PDA

View Full Version : squid report and dick captain report

FishingOC
06-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Fish with Newport landing on the twilight, fishing was good pick off around 10 squid, bit was on and off the entire night.

When we were squiding we saw Davies lockers boat out and it was packed compared to ours. I couldn’t understand why, but I figured it out later.

The captain was a dick and was incompetent. He says over the intercom, you can drop them guys, so we did. Then he starts reversing the boat and as you can imagine several guys squid jigs get caught up in the propeller and the squid jigs go bye bye.

When we were heading back and stopped at a spot some guy goes and starts fishing and decides to pick up the net to get some bait from the bait tank and the captain starts yelling HEY! HEY!! The guy looks up and the captain says, is this your boat. So the guy sets the net down.

Then later the dick captain goes pick up a spinning rod and try’s to flyline a bait and he can even cast for ****. And he starts mumbling that I hate spinning reels. I overhear some other guys say that the captain was drunk and that he doesn’t know his head from his *** and he can’t fish for ****.

I thought we paid to go fishing, if there are no bait fish should some one put bait fish so we can all fish. The captain on the Newport landing is a dick and incompetent.

In addition the report is false. There were only about 12 people and no where near 200 squid, maybe around 150.

Nautilus 1/2 Day Twilight 17 266 Giant Squid

If you decide to go squiding the decks hand charge $4.00 to clean each squid and if you decide to take it off the boat whole you can forget, because they will not allow it.

TAKE MY ADVICE, DO NOT GO ON NEWPORT LANDING, GO TO DAVIES FOR ANY FISHING PERIOD.

THIS IS MY FIRST AND LAST TIME OFF THAT PIECE OF **** LANDING.

hakaveli
06-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Fish with Newport landing on the twilight, fishing was good pick off around 10 squid, bit was on and off the entire night.

When we were squiding we saw Davies lockers boat out and it was packed compared to ours. I couldn’t understand why, but I figured it out later.

The captain was a dick and was incompetent. He says over the intercom, you can drop them guys, so we did. Then he starts reversing the boat and as you can imagine several guys squid jigs get caught up in the propeller and the squid jigs go bye bye.

When we were heading back and stopped at a spot some guy goes and starts fishing and decides to pick up the net to get some bait from the bait tank and the captain starts yelling HEY! HEY!! The guy looks up and the captain says, is this your boat. So the guy sets the net down.

Then later the dick captain goes pick up a spinning rod and try’s to flyline a bait and he can even cast for ****. And he starts mumbling that I hate spinning reels. I overhear some other guys say that the captain was drunk and that he doesn’t know his head from his *** and he can’t fish for ****.

I thought we paid to go fishing, if there are no bait fish should some one put bait fish so we can all fish. The captain on the Newport landing is a dick and incompetent.

In addition the report is false. There were only about 12 people and no where near 200 squid, maybe around 150.

Nautilus 1/2 Day Twilight 17 266 Giant Squid

If you decide to go squiding the decks hand charge $4.00 to clean each squid and if you decide to take it off the boat whole you can forget, because they will not allow it.

TAKE MY ADVICE, DO NOT GO ON NEWPORT LANDING, GO TO DAVIES FOR ANY FISHING PERIOD.

THIS IS MY FIRST AND LAST TIME OFF THAT PIECE OF **** LANDING.

Yo thats messed up wont let u even fish . Even more messed up wtf u cant bring ur catch home without cleaning that messed up. Thanx for the heads up to avoid that boat

fish4keep
06-02-2007, 02:08 PM
I wasn't there so I can't say for sure but this is just my :2cents: . And in no way is defending the captn.

I don't think a captn will jeapordize his license by being drunk while on the job. Especially while operating a boat. (I could be wrong) Also if the captn don't know how to fish, what's he doing being captn on a cattle boat. I'm pretty sure he has to start a decky before getting his captn license.

Yes, they should've put some bait out but if you fishing for squid what are you doing fishing with bait??? I could only see using bait while waiting outside the harbor while they are cleaning the squirts.

Also I don't think they could stop you from not wanting to get your squirts clean. That's up to you if you want it clean or not. This is the first if it's true.

Atleast you got some calamari............. 8) 8) 8)

FishingOC
06-02-2007, 04:23 PM
I forgot to tell you guys, they will charge you $250 for a gunny sack, if you bring one they will exchange it for the ones they have.

**** Newport landing, i hope no one goes on their boat. screw them.

hakaveli
06-02-2007, 04:55 PM
I forgot to tell you guys, they will charge you $250 for a gunny sack, if you bring one they will exchange it for the ones they have.

**** Newport landing, i hope no one goes on their boat. screw them.

250 bucks now i dont believe that

Re8elmonk0341
06-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Maybe he meant $2.50 :lol: :lol:

FishingOC
06-02-2007, 05:11 PM
yes $2.50, i forgot the decimal.

Did i remember to say **** newport landing....If i forgot to mention, i'll say it again.

**** newport landing sport fishing.

KaliDawgFan
06-02-2007, 05:14 PM
two words....Man Overboard!!!!

hakaveli
06-02-2007, 05:14 PM

Did i remember to say **** newport landing....If i forgot to mention, i'll say it again.

thats crap 2.50 for a sack all the other landings have them for a buck . And all boats ive been on let me bring my own sack

jplee3
06-02-2007, 06:45 PM

thats crap 2.50 for a sack all the other landings have them for a buck . And all boats ive been on let me bring my own sack

Seriously? They charge you for the gunny sack at most landings? Do they tell you this upfront, or do you pay em when you get your fish cleaned? When I went out of Port Hueneme, they didn't say anything about paying for our gunny sacks (they provided them). We did bring our own just in case, but they had them all lined up ready to go. Didn't mention a thing about em. Uh oh, I'm gonna feel really bad if it's one of those 'unspeakable' pay-for items :oops:

Sorry to hear about the horrible experience at Newport Landing :( Gosh, I've heard nothing but bad things about Davey's and Newport now starting with the "bogus counts" thread and now this :( I live closest to those and now I just have a bad perception of them. :( Guess I'll just have to go down to Ensenada every weekend :D :D :D

dirthead
06-02-2007, 07:31 PM
do you know the captains name? I personally know and have fished with most of the capt. at davies & newport and can assure you that the capt. was not drunk. I'm sorry you had a bad time the capt. and crew work very hard for less then average pay. so you pay 2 bucks for a bag and 4 to clean a 20# squid + the 30 bucks to get on the boat. what else can u do for 6 hrs for 50 bucks?

hakaveli
06-02-2007, 08:24 PM
do you know the captains name? I personally know and have fished with most of the capt. at davies & newport and can assure you that the capt. was not drunk. I'm sorry you had a bad time the capt. and crew work very hard for less then average pay. so you pay 2 bucks for a bag and 4 to clean a 20# squid + the 30 bucks to get on the boat. what else can u do for 6 hrs for 50 bucks?

4 bucks per squid thats alot consider ull catch alot
30 bucks for a twilight i wish more close to 40

Monkeerow
06-02-2007, 10:08 PM
I agree. I went on a squirt trip out of newport. Me and my buddy got cool with the deckhands since we were pushing the newbs around telling them what to do. Over/under...that whole biz. They got us on the squid, i won't lie, but 4 bucks a pop is f*cking ridiculous. I took a few whole home since i was already low on funds, and it took me 1 minute to clean each one. Albies cost 5 bucks a pop, no way squid should be in the same ballpark. I would say 2 bucks TOPS. :roll:

komaiaboyz
06-02-2007, 10:14 PM
how hard is it to pull the head away fromt he body? are these these good to eat? are they tough

dirthead
06-03-2007, 06:04 AM
how many do u plan to take home when there 20+ #. you must have a very big family

bones
06-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Call me strange but.......Squid don't even fight. They are like pulling up dead weight. As far as eating them......I don't like calamari. It has no flavor and gets tough when you cook it. I don't even see the attraction to targeting them. Sorry about your bad experience :(

SanDimasLMB
06-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Call me strange but.......Squid don't even fight. They are like pulling up dead weight. As far as eating them......I don't like calamari. It has no flavor and gets tough when you cook it. I don't even see the attraction to targeting them. Sorry about your bad experience :(

If you dont like hard aquid either do a marinate or braise with white wine, lemon juice, and butter. PM me for the complete recipe

BBL2Baja
06-04-2007, 08:10 AM
This thread and the fake fish count thread are just a few more good reasons to head to the San Diego landings when hopping a moo-moo.

JMO

8)

Later,
Scott

spiceguy
06-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Sounds pretty f**ked up. I understand why you want to share your bad experience with us but personally I would make the problem known to the folks running the Landing, where it would do the most good............

ghetto dad
06-04-2007, 11:08 AM

NO, THEY DO FIGHT, NOT LIKE A BLUE FIN OR ANYTHING, BUT THEY DOO TAKE DRAG....

fish4keep
06-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Well Newport do make it a mandatory to have your squirts cleaned based on two different reports. That just plain sucks. Hopefully the landing is letting everyone know that before they board. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

cklovetofish
06-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Newport Landing just added the rules on cleaning squids.
If you want go to this http://www.newportlanding.com/fishcount.htm and see it yourself.
I hope they have similar rules posted at the landing too.

Hitts0n
06-08-2007, 12:15 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmm

ghetto dad
06-08-2007, 12:21 PM
just a shot in the dark here, in newports defense as far as you having to get them cleaned, the residents down there have been complaing of noise from fisherman walking down the res street to their cars, they want to shut down at least the twilight runs down there.....maybe the residents have something to do with the squid cleaing thing too...you know, dragging 200 lbs of nasty, inky giant squid to your car through the streets of newport would make a MESS....i wouldnt be surprised if the actual city has something to do with that...anyways, just a thought..peace

ghetto dad
06-08-2007, 12:22 PM
omg LMFAO...after i posted the above, i THEN read the post with the link on it!!!

one_leg
06-08-2007, 12:39 PM

Come on BONES, you know you want to SLAY SLAY SLAY, KILL KILL KILL, CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP, the inky DEVILS!!!

I really like the tentacles with the little suction cups on em. They're tasty!

One_Leg

Hitts0n
06-08-2007, 01:11 PM

Come on BONES, you know you want to SLAY SLAY SLAY, KILL KILL KILL, CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP, the inky DEVILS!!!

I really like the testicles with the little suction cups on em. They're tasty!

One_Leg

wtf

one_leg
06-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Oh Oh, Now Hitts0n is committing Post Fraud!!!

I had a feeling someone like you would resort to such tactics.
:wink:
Read my post to see what I really said.

One_Leg

Hitts0n
06-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Oh Oh, Now Hitts0n is committing Post Fraud!!!

I had a feeling someone like you would resort to such tactics.
Read my post to see what I really said.

One_Leg

lma0!

spiceguy
06-08-2007, 02:32 PM
just a shot in the dark here, in newports defense as far as you having to get them cleaned, the residents down there have been complaing of noise from fisherman walking down the res street to their cars, they want to shut down at least the twilight runs down there.....maybe the residents have something to do with the squid cleaing thing too...you know, dragging 200 lbs of nasty, inky giant squid to your car through the streets of newport would make a MESS....i wouldnt be surprised if the actual city has something to do with that...anyways, just a thought..peace

I think you're onto something. :appl:

The fact is, when the fishermen arrive on our streets at 4 or 5 in the morning, talking & laughing like it's noon and dragging their tackle boxes & stuff across the beds of their trucks, filling ice chests & whatnot, it is pretty annoying. My guess is anybody would get pissed off if a car full of noisy folks got out in front their house & acted like that. Am I wrong? :wink:
As for the squids, you are right again. Nobody should have to go out & clean-up somebody else's slimy mess. I can relate to all this because I live about a hundred feet from Newport Landing.
As for the cleaning charge, I think it's too steep and wtf took them so long to post the price? (sorry Norris)

ghetto dad
06-08-2007, 02:36 PM
wait.....omg...i didnt upset you????i seem to be upsetting lots of people around here lately....thanks for the POSITIVE comment about me, believe me, i need them..and YAYYYYYY....i got and applause!!!!! peace man!!!

spiceguy
06-08-2007, 02:44 PM