PDA

View Full Version : Sharks and float tube question

fishing_addict
10-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Anyone ever hear of a fisherman in a float tube getting attacked by a shark? I was reading an article and thought that since surfers get attacked fairly often for resembling seals and such that a person in a float tube would have a similar effect...

BIGRED KILLA
10-27-2008, 09:33 PM
I don't no of any surfers getting atacked here in are coast line except Sandiego but if your talking about Florida or Hawaii that's a diffrent story.I float tube every weekend if i am not going out to the islands.I float tube the harbors and out side of them no need to go out any farther.If i were you I would be more afraid of Boats, SEALS and batrays.Sharks is the last thing on my mind.lol

Bigred

BassEngineer
10-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Would't surprise me if a shark did attack a tube....especially if you got fresh bait.

supasportkid
10-27-2008, 10:18 PM
i stopped tubin the salt becuase the seals! there's way too many of them, and they can get vicious when you land land a fish!

DnYe
10-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Same here...I aint trippin on sharks, I've been tubin salt for years and have not bumped heads wit a shark. Its the fraggin seals that gettin me paranoid...especially sea lions. I bring a nice sharp gaff and make sure I can get to it wit out any hassle.
But dont get it twisted either about sharks or whatever...theres a first for everything. I just hope that sheet aint me. Its always more of risk tubing the ocean. Jus be on your toes... I am one to speak since I tube alone most of the time lol...if you wanna really trip out...tube inside the bays at night alone...your mind will keep you so busy you cant fish...

jerryG
10-29-2008, 12:09 AM
There are more shark attacks in California involving great whites than in any other part of the country. Many of the attacks are not news worthy and never make the headlines. People have been killed locally by great whites. In addition to the swimmer who was killed in San Diego earlier this year by a great white Shark there was also a surfer who had the tail portion of his board bit off from under him by a large shark at huntington beach. There was also a woman who was thrown in the air after a large great white violently struck her kayak.

Last year in July I was kayak fishing in Malibu with a friend one day when a couple guys on paddle boards passed through. We had just paddled back in to the area after chasing some diving birds off in the distance. We stoped short of the birds because we saw it was just a huge dolphin chasing some bait on the surface. We thought nothing of it and went about our day. The next day we come to find that the paddle boarders who were headed in the direction of the diving birds ended up being attacked by a large great white about a half mile from where they passed us. They were rescued by a boater in the area. Hmmm well I guess that wasn't a big dolphin after all. Good thing we stopped short of that bird school. Encounters with Great Whites in our local waters happen frequently. The Shark Research committee logs great white activity off our coast. For information no attacks and to read about great white shark encounters from past to the present check out this website. It will make you never want to go in the water. I recommend taking a look around the site. Very interesting stories lots of good information. Just remember one think .... Fear no fish.

2008 shark encounters/ attacks
http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

List of attacks in CA since 2000 (the list is long and includes attack on the day we were in malibu)
http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/2000.htm

DnYe
10-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the info...like i said theres a first for everything...but i love tubing too much to give it up...its always a risk being in that water. Besides its not our territory to begin with...Imagine what would happen if sharks tried to hang out on land..it wouldn't be hangin out very long, i know that much...

Badfish2
10-30-2008, 02:48 AM
Look at it this way, it could be a rare event for a shark to attack a tube or saltwater wader fisherman.. but it only takes 1 time for it to ruin your day.

tpfishnfool
10-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Ill take a Yak over a tube in the salt thank you very muchhh...

mullet
11-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Shark donut anyone?

ghetto dad
11-03-2008, 05:00 PM
You guys need to stop.....cappo just bought a tube...dont scare him!! :ROFL:

GD

DEADROOTS
11-03-2008, 06:05 PM
You are nuts if you go out there in a tube call me crazy but I enjoy option to walk. We are not lizards, we cannot regrow our limbs! Think about it!

tacklejunkie
11-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I was scared as heck tubin my first time out there. All those sea lion stories had me going and of course sharks were on my mind.

Then I started catching spotties and forgot all about the dangers. :LOL:
Those things fight so good it's almost worth the risk! Just stick by a dock and hope you have time to grab on if something happens. :LOL:

BIGRED KILLA
11-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Ya if you guys are scared to tube the salt then don't tube it let us real men go tube it.lol jk

Bigred

makersmark
11-05-2008, 01:33 PM
You guys ever tube Cherry Beach in Long Beach? Your still in a harbor I guess, but because its so big you feel like your in the open ocean, and the currents pick up there sometimes pretty good too. I was out there one morning with my little brother explaining to him that it was totally safe and not to worry when 2 sea lions pop up about 5 feet from our tube and stare at us as if they have never seen a human before, it was kinda creepy, then they both went under real quick, I lifted my legs up as high as I could. Ive encountered them on many occasions, but this one felt off. Once in Newport i was drifting by the boats in the middle of the harbor and was going by a large boat when I came to the rear section I turned my head to the right and there was a HUGE sea lion catching some rays on the swim step and his face was about 20 inches from mine and he kinda sneezed and got my face wet, scared the crap out of me LOL

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-05-2008, 02:22 PM
You can't live in fear, when your times comes it will be just that....your number being drawn, tube it....enjoy life.....being paranoid brings mayhem, go out with confidence and don't think about it and you'll be fine.

I agree that the sea lions should be of more concern than sharks but even then the seals aren't really going to hurt you, just give you a baby ruth in ur waders..and maybe a playfull nip on ur fins.......

It's obviously wise to have some knowledge of what has transpired in the zones you'll frequent but the odds are not against you here... the harbors are relatively safe to these things...

I once saw a 40' whale come inside redondo harbor while I was on my 12' skiff, it went right under my boat and scared the crap outa me....odd things happen..

Do I think it will ever happen again ? probably not in my lifetime.

I'm sure there have been historic incidents in the bays but they are few and far between from my perspective.

No FEAR !!!! gotta fish.....I'll join ya out there if ya like sometime...kick around a few seals....drive on some fish....."let 'em feel the steel !"

Life is good...live it....enjoy it....experience it !

I've actually wanted to head over to Balboa island and launch in the back outer bay...

I just might do that soon, allot easier than hauling my boat there.

Good luck,
Gary

sonarbp
11-06-2008, 08:44 AM
I agree that the sea lions should be of more concern than sharks but even then the seals aren't really going to hurt you, just give you a baby ruth in ur waders..and maybe a playfull nip on ur fins.......

Sharks are not the problem while tubin the bays.....but the seals on the other hand can be a major pain in the arse!!!! I have had a seal nip at my fins and circle me while I was unhooking a fish but for the most part they are looking for a dry play to chill!!!!! Just keep a watchful eye and know your surrounding and you will be fine.

I've actually wanted to head over to Balboa island and launch in the back outer bay...

I just might do that soon, allot easier than hauling my boat there.

Good luck,
Gary

Hey Gary there are alot of great places to launch off of Balboa island.....tons of spotties and croaker back in that part of the bay. Maybe we should meet up and exchange fishing tips while hooking spotties.

sonarbp

BIGRED KILLA
11-06-2008, 10:57 AM
When you tube just watch out for WSB no not white sea bass Wind Seals Boats.lol

Bigred

one_leg
11-08-2008, 02:01 PM
You should be a lot more worried about the Octopi out there!!!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/3527/ (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/3527/)

yakfu
11-09-2008, 01:00 PM
My friends in Florida call tubes "gator bobbers"..