PDA

View Full Version : A Few Yaking Questions

calico killer kevin
10-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I have a few questions about stuff for my yak.
Where can I get leashes with the coily rubber for my paddle and my rods?
Where can I get floats for my rods?
What are the must-haves?(Such as a pfd, whistle, flag)
How heavy of an anchor to get?
Where to get it.
Do I have to have a short length of metal chain before I tie the rope to the anchor?
And any other suggestions you can throw in there.

LBSea
10-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Try www.kayakfishinggear.com. They are located in Dana Point and are very cool to work with. Order on-line or through their toll free phone number. Prices and service are some of the best. And if you are in the area you can will-call your orders or they ship UPS.

On the anchor, I would not recomend one to start. They can be tricky and with a good current can cause you to flip your kayak rather easy. Get use to your kayak before using an anchor and never set an anchor near a surf zone or you could find your self on the wrong side of a sneaker set.

Doug

FISHNFOOL9
10-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Where will you be fishing that you need an anchor?
I kayak both in the fresh and salt and have never needed an anchor. If i need to control my kayak in the wind or current i use a drift sock.
As for the coils for your paddle, i made my own out of 1/4 paracord form REI. I use them for my rods also. Cheap to make and easy to store if i am not using them. You will find that the coils are bulky and get in the way most of the time.
By all means carry a PFD and some kinda whistle. If you fish off shore(ocean) alot then some kinda flag or warning device is good. I can tell you a horror story about almost getting run over and not having a flag or something aboard. Damn Coast Guard out of Dana Point came 20' from hitting me and they were going full speed and never saw me:Shocked:. If i only had the 44 mag on board:ROFL:

calico killer kevin
10-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the insight, but I figured I needed an anchor when I was fishing in HH last week on the incoming tide and I would be able to make 3-4 casts before being drifted out of the spot.

mg2969
10-28-2008, 07:35 PM
CKK
For starters I purchase all my kayak gear either from
OEX Sunset beach (malibu / hobie ) - See Andy aka Iceman
or
Xtremelinesport in San Pedro - see Greg

That being said
Equipment depends on where your fishing

Open Ocean with a surf launch (outside san pedro) or a bay (like HH or alamitos bay) or an actual harbor like lb harbor or inside launch @ san pedro

Where can I get leashes with the coily rubber for my paddle and my rods?
Where can I get floats for my rods?

What are the must-haves?(Such as a pfd, whistle, flag)
* My opinion of must haves pfd (ALWAYS ON BOARD),
* Going off shore defintely have a radio ( or cell phone with coast guard and lifeguards (o.c. and L.A already programmed)
* Hull hand pump

How heavy of an anchor to get?
* Foldable anchor ( i think like 3 lbs could be wrong)

Where to get it.

Do I have to have a short length of metal chain before I tie the rope to the anchor?
* Unlike big ships that use the weight of the chain in addition to the actual anchor to keep the ship in place the prongs of the foldable anchor keep you in place.

FYI for fishing HH when coming up on the bridge stay far left or far right the ripping current will pass to the side of you. If I remember correctly the best place is to the left between shore and green buoy #4 (??? - last buoy before bridge)

feel free to PM me

also check out
http://baytuber.informe.com

calico killer kevin
10-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks MG. If I remember correctly, the best spot was right near the boat launches; the narrow strip of water near the launch ramp.

CoffeaRobusta
11-09-2008, 01:43 PM
I agree with the others regarding anchors. Be familar with your watercraft and boating rules first. Anchoring is not quite as simple as it sounds. You certainly don't want to tie your anchor off midship to your kayak, you want it near the bow. Check out this system for an anchor that allows one to set it near the bow without moving out of your seat.

http://www.oceankayak.com/fishing/outfitting.html

Click on vincent reynaldo anchor system. He also shows a method of riggin it so that you can free it if it becomes snagged.

Legally you are require to have:
A) PFD: one Type I, II, III, or V Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device for each person on board. They must be readily accessible and of an appropriate size for the intended wearer.

B) Sound Signaling Devices: A vessel of less than 39 feet 4 inches (12 meters) is not required to carry a whistle or bell, but must be able to provide some other means of making an efficient sound signal. (I think a whistle or air horn is a darn good idea.)

C) Navigation lights: If operating at night all you are required to have is a white light and you must exhibit it in time to prevent collision. This can be something as simple as a flashlight but remember you are trusting your life to it. You also have the option of fitting your kayak with the the bow red/green and stern white light if you want.

D) Visual Distress signal: if operating at night, you need some means of getting attention visually. Strobes, flares, I think there is even a laser on the market.
Check these out:

http://www.seakayak.ws/kayak/kayak.nsf/0/11D0B0A60E097C908525724A00746AE3

Ideally you would also have:
extra food and water
navigation aids (chart, compass, gps)
phone or VHF radio
extra layers of clothing
reflective tape is not a bad idea, either
Check gear before heading out on the water
pay attention to the weather
and always file a float plan (tell someone where you are going, when you will be back and what you will be doing)

I think that covers the bare essentials. It wouldn't be a bad idea to become familar with boating law and rules of the waterways. Welcome to boating Kevin, I think I am going to buy a kayak today so maybe I'll see you on the water sometime.

Check these out for more info on boating safety:
http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/Abc/
http://www.dbw.ca.gov/BoaterInfo/boatsafecourse.aspx

It certainly wouldn't hurt to take a boating safety course.