PDA

View Full Version : Bonitos

gavin310
10-27-2008, 01:35 PM
So on my last tuna trip bonitos were treated like the red headed step child of the sea, right behind skipjacks, but in the recent saltwater reports they're like a prize to be won. Obviously tuna is more preferable than bonito, but is bonito really that great, or do we just have a bunch of lobster fisherman posting these bonito reports?

That Dang Guy
10-27-2008, 02:43 PM
I think it really depends when and what you're targeting. If yellowfin, bluefin and albacore are available, then bonito mean nearly nothing. But now, along our coast we don't have any access to our exotics we have in the last few months, so bonito come back into the picture.

BIGRED KILLA
10-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Bonita is great for Eating right on the boat bleed em and ice them.They are great for me to pack my freezer full for bug bait,shark chum,catfish bait or grind them up on the side of your boat for a ton of school of bait fish near your boat.I also think they can be a pain in the but when targeting other fish like sea bass or tails.

Bigred

Simplyeman
10-27-2008, 05:51 PM
it might depend on how you cook 'em but I an NOT a fan.

supasportkid
10-27-2008, 10:20 PM
since i dont eat fish, i love catchin bonita! locally, they are one of the top fighters