PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Fish

fishing_addict
10-26-2008, 10:13 PM
I rarely ever freeze anything I catch as I like to eat my fish fresh. However once in a blue moon I'll have to toss a couple in the freezer for a later date. Anyone have any special tricks they use to freeze fish? I usually just use the heavier duty Zip-loc freezer bags but was wondering if there was anything extra I could do?

RL-IN-OC
10-27-2008, 07:59 AM
The best way is to buy a vacuum sealer. Sams and Costco seem to have the best deal on the kit. Or, if you are on a budget, Ziplock has a hand sealer with special bags and a hand pump. If you are going to eat the fish within 30-60 days, you could also wrap the fish tightly with saran wrap, then place it in a zip lock.

How you prep the fish is also very important. In my experience, if you are freezing salt water fish, do not rinse the meat in tap water before freezing. The chemicals in the fresh water seems to break down the meat fibers. All you need to do is wipe the meat with paper towel, to remove as much blood and fluid as possible. Vacuum seal and freeze. I also separate the meat into meal sized portions. You can rinse the meat after it thaws, before consuming. This advice came from one of the best Capts. on the water, Obymako...

I also tried the 'freeze the fish in a block of ice method', but I just don't have the room in my freezer.

Just my 2 cents......

cappo
10-27-2008, 08:24 AM
RL-IN-OC pretty much sums it. The vaccum sealer will be your best investment ever if you do alot of saltwater fishing.

deanhall32
10-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Throw your fillet into a milk carton, fill it halfway with water, and stick it in the freezer. When you pull it out of the freezer months later, just scrape the hairy green stuff off with a butter knife. Pop into the microwave for 3 1/2 minutes and you have yourself a quick meal.

Ignore what Cappo said about vacuum foodsavers. What did they do in the old days before electricity?

sansou
10-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Beyond vaccum sealing, probably the most overlooked key to preserving your fish, lies in how rapidly you freeze the fish.

Slow freezing causes larger water molecules to develop in the fillets, and this results in tissue deterioration when you go to defrost your fillets for cooking. The key, therefore, is to ensure your fillets freeze as quickly as possible.

With this in mind, whether you vaccum seal, or alternatively do the "Saran Wrap & butcher paper" method, you need to make sure your freezer is not overloaded. Space the fillets out in the freezer (as opposed to stacking them when unfrozen) and make sure you leave room for the air to circulate in your freezer.

Hope this helps.

fishing_addict
10-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Great advice guys thanks!

gavin310
10-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Ignore what Cappo said about vacuum foodsavers. What did they do in the old days before electricity?

They used to heavily salt their meat to help it last longer and cover up the taste of rotting :LOL: Vacuum packaging has been around a long time because of canning.

jobi888
10-31-2008, 10:48 AM

I, "throw your fillet into a milk carton, fill it halfway with water, and stick it in the freezer" :)

Badfish2
11-03-2008, 03:11 AM
i'd really like to get a vacuum sealer but honestly I'd probably use it once then lose parts to it or break it and then it would sit in the garage. Best way? Catch and Keep what you'll eat that night

dixoncider
11-03-2008, 04:54 AM
vacuum sealers work great.

jbacsaf
11-03-2008, 11:15 AM
I think Ziploc makes vacuum seal bags now. Haven't tried it, but sounds like a good middle ground.

ghetto dad
11-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Beyond vaccum sealing, probably the most overlooked key to preserving your fish, lies in how rapidly you freeze the fish.

Slow freezing causes larger water molecules to develop in the fillets, and this results in tissue deterioration when you go to defrost your fillets for cooking. The key, therefore, is to ensure your fillets freeze as quickly as possible.

With this in mind, whether you vaccum seal, or alternatively do the "Saran Wrap & butcher paper" method, you need to make sure your freezer is not overloaded. Space the fillets out in the freezer (as opposed to stacking them when unfrozen) and make sure you leave room for the air to circulate in your freezer.

Hope this helps.

Where did you copy and paste that info from rich?? :ROFL:

Vacuum sealing is the way to go...i have the ziplock one and the food saver one......the ziplock ones work fine AND are ALOT cheaper.....

GD

mullet
11-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Whatever way you choose to freeze your fish,
try this when defrosting.
Defrost in milk,drain & rinse after defrosting.
The milk will take alot of the fishy taste out
of the fish.The fish will taste like fresh.
Ever notice how a carton of milk in the
fridge will take on the taste of something
else in the fridge?Try it you'll be suprised
how well it works.

Mike

tpfishnfool
11-08-2008, 03:15 PM

Hope this helps.

This is Key.. If your freezer has any Ice build up your Fish or anything else for that matter will not hold up.

daveg456
11-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Whatever way you choose to freeze your fish,
try this when defrosting.
Defrost in milk,drain & rinse after defrosting.
The milk will take alot of the fishy taste out
of the fish.The fish will taste like fresh.
Ever notice how a carton of milk in the
fridge will take on the taste of something
else in the fridge?Try it you'll be suprised
how well it works.

Mike

Is this also the secret to Tuna flavored Cocoa Puffs?

mullet
11-11-2008, 05:40 PM
I know your joking about the cocopuffs Dave.
But try it once you do you'll be a believer,
trust me.
Mike

WaterBound
12-03-2008, 03:55 AM
Everyone has given you some great ideas. The milk will definitely work because milk is very bland. All the fat and protein can dilute strong flavors. The best solution, if you can afford it right now, would be a real vacuum sealer. Oxidation is your enemy. If this is not an option you can also think about liquid nitrogen. It is safe to use as long as you respect the product. Remember that if the medium is too cold and splashes on you. The part that is frozen can sometime be lost! I love all of my appendages. There was once an incident when a kinky couple were a little too daring and let us just say sex and food is fine as long as you don't rock the liquid nitrogen around and splash on the wrong appendage! I love how the truth always comes out in the ER. Anyhow you get the idea. The price of liquid nitrogen is really cheap. The cost lies in the storage container which can even be more expensive than a vacuum sealer. I buy mine used from the universities for pennies on the dollar. If you got connections or are very persuasive you can hit up one of the major meat processors and see if they will let you blast some radiation onto your fish. This will sterilize your catch and then you can chill it quickly via the method of your choice. Radiation has been used for a long time to sterilize commercial meat. Met a guy once who had this connection and after a long range trip would always vacuum seal, then radiate and finally freeze his catch. I asked him why so much effort and he replied that the radiation is really about killing the parasites because he loved sushi. If you want the cheapest solution good old fashioned saran wrap and FOIL work very well for days. However, if you want that sucker to really last you need a vacuum sealer.

GET DA NET
12-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Vacuum sealers are the best HANDS DOWN.