PDA

View Full Version : My New Kayak

calico killer kevin
10-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Wow. Today, I got a great deal on a great kayak. Started this morning when I was looking around on craigslist and saw a Cobra Marauder on sale for $495. Called the store, Action Water Sports in Marina Del Rey, and said we were going to be there soon to look at the kayak. We made it there around 11:00 and by that time the kayak was already sold. No surprise there, but I was really looking forward to buying that kayak. The Cobra Marauder is 14'3" and about 60 lbs with the hatches. This kayak is so stable that I can stand on it without worry and is light enough that I can carry it over my head by myself no problem. I've tested many other kayaks and at have come to the conclusion that this is by far the best one out there for my fishing needs.

The guy who owns the shop was really cool and actually got us a deal on the other Cobra Marauder he had. So after a little negotiation we settled on $675 for the kayak with three hatches and four flush mount rod holders(MSRP: $820 without the hatches and rod holders), a clear blue hawaii paddle(MSRP: $100), and an Apex 2 seat(MSRP: $60). I ended up saving about $500-$600. Big thanks to Action Water Sports in Marina Del Rey and if you're buying a kayak or surf board, I highly recommend you go see them.

Now I have a few questions:

What fishfinder would you recommend for ~$100-$150?
Where can I get a milk crate?
Can I buy a bait tank specifically for the small center hatch?
And is there a Fishing Network Sticker that I can stick on my kayak?

So if any of you guys see a fourteen year old on white Cobra Marauder at SARL, the Pudd, Irvine, DVL, Perris, etc. give me a shout.

Ronira
10-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Congrats on the cool new ride Kevin. Hope you catch a ton with it! :Cool:

tacklejunkie
10-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Haha! Score!
Try the back of 7-11 for a milk crate or a pepsi crate, or the back of a grocery store.

Hit us up when you roll out!

GeordyBass
10-26-2008, 04:48 PM
you can buy a portable fishfinder with a suction cup on the tranducer and super glue the suction cup on the yak...no holes and no big battery weighing the boat down...just buy rechargable AA batteries,buy a humminbird....i have an Eagle and it sucks!you can also use those 5 gallon home depot buckets and install an aerator on it...yeah get a milk crate from a 7-11 like TJ said...now you got yourself a fully loaded yak!

calico killer kevin
10-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Congrats on the cool new ride Kevin. Hope you catch a ton with it! :Cool:

Thanks a lot.

Haha! Score!
Try the back of 7-11 for a milk crate or a pepsi crate, or the back of a grocery store.

Hit us up when you roll out!

For Sure dude. I'm going to get a crate and a slurpee now. haha

you can buy a portable fishfinder with a suction cup on the tranducer and super glue the suction cup on the yak...no holes and no big battery weighing the boat down...just buy rechargable AA batteries,buy a humminbird....i have an Eagle and it sucks!you can also use those 5 gallon home depot buckets and install an aerator on it...yeah get a milk crate from a 7-11 like TJ said...now you got yourself a fully loaded yak!

Okay, so a humminbird is the way to go. Thanks

CoffeaRobusta
11-08-2008, 10:34 AM
I found a milk crate laying on the side of the road just a couple of days ago.

mg2969
11-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Congrats on the new ride !!!
Cobra is an AWESOME company
They up in Gardena (91 & 110 freeways) so their relatively local
As opposed to Washing state or North Carolina liike some other kayak manufacturers

What fishfinder would you recommend for ~$100-$150?
Where can I get a milk crate?
Can I buy a bait tank specifically for the small center hatch?
And is there a Fishing Network Sticker that I can stick on my kayak?

So if any of you guys see a fourteen year old on white Cobra Marauder at SARL, the Pudd, Irvine, DVL, Perris, etc. give me a shout.

Fishfinder - Eagles either 242 or 245
Yeah 8 AA's powers em all day

Milk crate - I found both of mine on the side of the road

Bait tank - Most bait tanks are stored as a unit out side. However that doesn't mean you can't. If you really want to go inside and some people do check out the kayatank system
http://www.anglersyakshack.com/About.htm

BTW I don't think you can put a kayak on DVL, isn't it like Hemet, a drinking water supply ?

MikeG

calico killer kevin
11-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Congrats on the new ride !!!
Cobra is an AWESOME company
They up in Gardena (91 & 110 freeways) so their relatively local
As opposed to Washing state or North Carolina liike some other kayak manufacturers

Fishfinder - Eagles either 242 or 245
Yeah 8 AA's powers em all day

Milk crate - I found both of mine on the side of the road

Bait tank - Most bait tanks are stored as a unit out side. However that doesn't mean you can't. If you really want to go inside and some people do check out the kayatank system

BTW I don't think you can put a kayak on DVL, isn't it like Hemet, a drinking water supply ?

MikeG

Thanks MG. That kayatank looks nice, but I think it's a little too pricey so I probably have to make my own. About DVL, it is a drinking water supply, but I think they allow kayaks that are a minimum 0f 12' and mine happens to be 14'.

LunkerLover
11-08-2008, 01:57 PM

MikeG

yeah - DVL allows 10' + kayaks as long as they aren't "sit on top" styles... must be "sit-in" styles

lizzay
11-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Congrats on the Yak Kev. Now you just have to break it in with some fish.

mg2969
11-08-2008, 03:15 PM
yeah - DVL allows 10' + kayaks as long as they aren't "sit on top" styles... must be "sit-in" styles

Sorry I left that out, I just figured we were talking about Cobra Marauder, which is sit on top. Its better to clear that up just in case folks have Sit in-sides kayaks and wanna go. Sorry for the confusion