PDA

View Full Version : questions about installing cleats

lizzay
10-25-2008, 11:59 AM
So I need to install cleats on my aluminum boat. I heard that metal and metal may cause corrosion for some apparent reason and I don't want that to happen. So to save 100 bucks for installation I need to go buy some cleats for this 14ft. aluminum boat I had just purchased. Any suggestions? I'm looking into the ones that just drills right in. Please help. Thanks a bunch.

-Larry

MarkyMark
10-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Why not plastic??

Mark

lizzay
10-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Why not plastic??

Mark

You're right! As a matter of fact, I saw some over at Walmart. Just used to seeing the typical metal kinds.

Nessie Hunter
10-25-2008, 12:41 PM
On a light aluminum craft, May I suggest you drill the holes, and put a plate under to keep them from pulling through when you need them the most...
Even large washer under would be better then nothing...

My 2 cents...... :Cool:

lizzay
10-25-2008, 12:48 PM
On a light aluminum craft, May I suggest you drill the holes, and put a plate under to keep them from pulling through when you need them the most...
Even large washer under would be better then nothing...

My 2 cents...... :Cool:

weather the cleats are plastic or not right? Do they make plates for those? I have this welder solution from Walmart. Should I use that as an extra adhesive? Man, this seems a bit more thinking than I thought.

Shock
10-27-2008, 09:36 AM
I have used the plastic ones from Wal mart and they work fine for me.

dixoncider
11-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Thru bolt with butt block of some sort. If you are worried about corrosion use some non metallic washers or spacer to isolate the metal.

tama16
11-25-2008, 08:49 AM
check this site out they have alot of good ideas here....

tinboats.net

muskyman
11-26-2008, 08:20 PM
I like the dudes idea about using the big washers for backing ; or even use a block of wood, pref a hardwood, like cherry or something. Something with a larger surface area. That's what I did on my crestliner for the downrigger mounts. I would use nylon lock nuts too, better than lock washers and they will not loosen with use.

smartcaddie
12-01-2008, 10:52 AM
hey Larry well here's a tip.. you can use plastic, or stainless cleats it doesnt matter.. and the boat is ligth enough as to were the dock is not going to rip the cleats out..
now drill a whole and then your going to self tap the aluminum, then you are going to through bolt it on. with cap nuts on the bottom.. they wont go anywere.. you just need to get the right tool to tap the aluminum to make the threads. thats what we were going to do.. lol.

lizzay
12-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. It's been done for a while already. I chose to use the nylons cleats because they aren't shiny. The nylon ones are black and goes very well. I hardly even use these cleats anyway. SmartCaddie, good to see you on this board.