PDA

View Full Version : Huntington Harbor 9/18 Repost

calico killer kevin
10-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Headed to Huntington Harbor at 9:00 this morning with three noobs. Started by renting a couple kayaks from sunset rentals. Paddled out all the way in to the open bay near PCH. There was a guy on an ODC 420? eho was just slaying the bass one after another. After about five or six bass he ended up leaving so we swarmed his spot. No love for us so we paddled toward the bridge for nothing as well.

I thought the skunk was in order, but once we went back to the docks the bite was picking up. My friend Scott a 14' spottie and a 11.5" sandbass in short order on the 3' bay smelt BH and then NIck got in the game with a 13" sandie and a 12" spottie on a 3" haloween BH. After trying cranks, t-rigs, dropshots, and almost everything else in my tacklebox I figured out that they wanted the 3" BH. Threw on a haloween and started casting away. After about 5 casts I get absolutely ROCKED and saw a flash of silver so I was thinking WSB. After quite some drag pulling found out that it was just a smelt. A nice 17" fighter though.

That was the last fish so we headed back at around 3:00. A bit of wind, but the killer was the tides. We would get pushed back into the harbor in a matter of minutes so we had to do a lot of repositioning. There is a lot of baitfish out there now, but the key was to cast over the eel grass and retrieve it a little quick so you don't get snagged.

Final Count:

Me-1 17" Smelt
Scott-14" Spottie and 11.5" Sandie
Nick-12" Spottie and 13" Sandie
Other Kevin-Skunk

one_leg
10-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Very nice repost. Congrats on the fishies.

samgann93
10-24-2008, 09:21 PM
nice job in the fish.

calico killer kevin
10-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks. .