PDA

View Full Version : Lakes are Frozen...

Badfish2
10-24-2008, 01:24 AM
I found out from a few good sources that several lakes above 9000FT are now frozen over.. thin ice on most of them though. Any given day they are completely frozen then they have thawed... call ahead folks if you're heading up to a particular spot and find out what's up.... I know Little Virginia Lakes area was frozen over a few times since Oct 13th

troutdog
10-24-2008, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the update, would love to do one more trip before things are shutting down for the winter. Any snow?

TD

Badfish2
10-24-2008, 01:55 AM
I heard snow isn't a problem,it's just the ice on some of the lakes. It's hit and miss though, some lakes way up high are still ice free..while others are frozen over...

Report from virginia online...

"

Fishing Report

The week closed out with DFG stocking for the last time this season enticing the die hard anglers for one last shot for 2008 season. Weather turned sour last weekend and Little Virginia froze over, Kevin and Bob Hunter made a good attempt to break up the ice and it took them 45 minutes in a row boat to get 45 feet. "

Now mind you, these are not the big lakes.. like sabrina, and what not.. these are smaller lakes, like Possibly North lake, Little virginia, etc..

Badfish2
10-24-2008, 02:00 AM
and it's probably a good bet that if you're hiking to backcountry lakes above 10,000 ft your'e going to need ice skates.

Granny Fish
10-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Just chip away some ice and fish. They should be real hungry. :Cold Fishing:

one_leg
10-24-2008, 08:52 AM
I am predicting a very cold and wet winter.

Be careful.

:Cold Fishing:

jeff4321
10-24-2008, 09:11 AM
South lake was frozen last week, there was a small layer of ice in the back towards the inlets.. let me tell you.. thin ice and boats hehehe.

sierraslam
10-24-2008, 10:06 AM
I fished south Lake last Sunday and it was warm up there in the afternoon. I saw Smitty pulling the boats out for the year. He put us on the fish and there were thousands by the dam. We didn't see any ice on any of the Bishop Lakes or Rockcreek lake. We did get some snow on Saturday but not enough to freeze the lakes over. I saw a little ice around the edges in the early morning. I wouldn't worry about ice unless it's on the road. good fishin!

jeff4321
10-24-2008, 10:41 AM
I fished south Lake last Sunday and it was warm up there in the afternoon. I saw Smitty pulling the boats out for the year. He put us on the fish and there were thousands by the dam. We didn't see any ice on any of the Bishop Lakes or Rockcreek lake. We did get some snow on Saturday but not enough to freeze the lakes over. I saw a little ice around the edges in the early morning. I wouldn't worry about ice unless it's on the road. good fishin!

you obviously didnt go to the inlets, cuz there was a good amount of ice back there.

Roostertail
10-24-2008, 11:20 AM
I agree with one_leg. I can feel a very cold and wet winter coming. I've never seen the squirels in my neighborhood so busy collecting food this time of year. It's like they know something. So, if you are hiking into the back country, be prepared. It will be interesting to see how this winter pans out.

Roostertail
10-24-2008, 11:34 AM
I forgot to add. I can vaguely remember the stories from maybe six or more years ago when something like a dozen people were stranded in the back country for a few days above lake Edison this time of year during a sudden snow storm and had to be rescued.

olfishergal
10-25-2008, 07:25 PM
sure hope we get lots of wet weather this year..........all the lakes need the water

Badfish2
10-27-2008, 01:21 AM
so true, I hope the snow dumps this year

Crawler
10-27-2008, 11:16 AM
I was at Blue lake above Sabrina on saturday (10-25-08) and there was NO ice to speak of. It was beautiful, slight breeze and about 75* during the day. This lake sits at 10,400 roughly.

No Ice, but there were lots of big headed brook trout. :Envious:

tacklejunkie
10-30-2008, 07:31 PM
I was up at 11,500ft today.
No frozen lakes..

Badfish2
10-31-2008, 01:54 AM
Good news on the ice.. Heavy snow in the sierra next 3 days... stay warm folks