PDA

View Full Version : Great day of Cal Delta striper trolling!

FishWisher
10-16-2008, 07:17 AM
My buddy, John, had a great day of striper catching last week on Grantline, and having never fished there myself, I asked him to guide me aboard my boat for a day of striper fishing on Grantline. He agreed.

We launched about 0730 and were trolling by 0800. I pulled a broken back Rebel all day, various colors, with a white tail. I can't tell you just what ol' John trolled, but it was similar. I used my kokanee rig which is the lightest rod I've ever used for Delta stripers, but light tackle makes for a lot of fun - unless we hooked up with a 15 or 20 pounder. John used his trout rig which is also light tackle for stripers.The day was calm and bright, a gorgeous day for trolling the Delta.

My reel screamed first, but it was just a small shaker striper and was tossed back.

John's reel lit up next, and he eventually landed the first keeper of the day, a 7 pound striper that put up an excellent fight. It was the best fight of the day.

My line was hit next, and I had a nice 6½ pounder to the boat after a pretty decent fight. That would be my one and only keeper for the day.

John's reel screamed out line for the last and best fish of the day, a ten pounder that hit just as we were trolling past a couple of bank fishermen. They enjoyed the show as John reeled in his limit fish, and the bank fishermen held up about a seven pound fish to show that they'd had a good day, too.

We continued for another hour or so, but the bite was off. We trolled from 0800 'til 1300 when we reeled in and called it a day.

The sturgeon are coming up the Sacramento River, and I have to heed their call. But soon enough I'll be back out on Grantline for more striper trolling!

Dale

Ronira
10-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Sounds like fun!! What was the water temp?

Badfish2
10-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Trolling for stripers must be crazy... I bet they bend the hell out of the rods when they hit

candyman
10-17-2008, 01:16 AM
That is a very nice striper!!! How do they fight? I need to expand my fishing areas other than salt, need to try the fresh soon :Smile: