PDA

View Full Version : Bonita Sashmi?

Ifishtoolittle
10-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Anyone here on the board ever try this? My uncle tried Bonita as sashmi last time when he went on a overnight. He claimed that first you bleed it then frezee it and cut it up and there you are Bonita Sashmi. He said quote "it tastes like bluefin, but very crunchy".

Sinjin Kim
10-16-2008, 03:03 AM
Considering mackerel is served in sushi restaurants, I think if a bonito is prepared properly, it can taste fantastic. I agree with you uncle, bonito must be bleed immediately after being caught. The first time I ever made ceviche was with bonita and it was "off the hook!"

dixoncider
10-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Bleed while still alive. cut throat. get on ice right after.

Nessie Hunter
10-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Ken Leeeee Loves it..... :Big Grin:

deanhall32
10-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Caught a bonito one time and sashimied it up right there and it tasted a little bitter.

Note: The other day, a buddy served up a platter of sashimi and it was delicious!! We all guessed it to be yellowfin and he surprised us by telling us it was skipjack!! So you never know.

one_leg
10-16-2008, 08:52 AM
I love saba (Mackrel Sashimi) but only from a quality sushi resturant.
Cheap hole in the wall places are to be avioded at all costs.

I would venture to guess that a properly prepared bonito with the right accoutrements would be ok.

lurk 182
10-16-2008, 09:44 AM
bleed then ice, not freeze. remove bloodline. go home, cut up and eat A.S.A.P. and remember its not Ahi.

cappo
10-16-2008, 10:08 AM
it is delicious if taken care of, i actually prefer it over yellowtail

Ricky-Ray
10-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Like everyone has said above. Bleed it right away and get it on ice right away and also cut the blood line too. If properly cared for it taste pretty good.

daveg456
11-09-2008, 07:01 PM
bleed then ice, not freeze. remove bloodline. go home, cut up and eat A.S.A.P. and remember its not Ahi.

Actually, the freezing part may be a part of getting a good tasting bonito as far as sashimi goes. If you've ever eaten fresh dead tuna, it can be a little crunchy. The best taste is around 4 days after you catch it as the muscles relax. Sort of like aging beef but not that long. And the tuna at sushi bars are frozen too so it sounds like something worth trying.

Bonito and skipjack are excellent as tataki. The searing gives both fish that extra something that makes them more tasty this way. But yeah, you need to bleed it and put it on ice asap. Bleeding and putting them in the bait tank is not the same thing and you'll taste it later on.

Bonito Tataki(seared)

bonito fillets with no skin and no bloodlines
grated ginger
chopped green onions
soy sauce

1. sear bonito fillet on a very hot pan about 30 secs. each side around the whole fillet
2. put on plate and put in the freezer to firm up, making it easier to slice
3. slice fish, thinly chop green onions and grate ginger and put on top of sliced fish
4. grate extra ginger and use it like wasabi in your soy sauce

So good and simple. Seriously though, if you have a date that likes sushi, this is a deal closer. If you use bonito that was sitting in your bait tank, sayonara sucker.

brianw
11-11-2008, 12:18 PM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_zore4WNR85Y/R4Y-E7cmlSI/AAAAAAAAA4w/0B3GZxH52JM/s576/IMG_6806.JPG

they are ok may be because i love eating fish so much tho =(

BIGRED KILLA
11-11-2008, 12:42 PM
It is good every time i catch them i bleed them and ice the right away after 15 min i clean out the blood line and slice thin we always have soy sauce and wasabi on are boat yummy.I think with out the soy sause and wasabi it taste to fishi not good so try it with it.

Bigred

Ifishtoolittle
11-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys I was pretty skeptical when I first heard of bonita sashimi, but now I know it might taste good. Thanks everyone.

SpinnerBaitKing
11-12-2008, 02:24 PM
it's all good. I usually just ice them because we carry an extra cooler on board. I just cut the best meat and sear it. Oh boy, some good stuff. Just like Ahi

Ant

wetbait
12-01-2008, 12:15 AM
you guys ever pay attention to the flesh? look very close next time. thye got worm! alway always alwayz freeze them before eating raw fish.

fresh sashimi means fish is forzen right after it was caught to kill all parasites. all fisheee have them. good luck.

these parasites usually found in brains. look up google if you dont believed me.

BIGRED KILLA
12-01-2008, 03:10 PM
you guys ever pay attention to the flesh? look very close next time. thye got worm! alway always alwayz freeze them before eating raw fish.

fresh sashimi means fish is forzen right after it was caught to kill all parasites. all fisheee have them. good luck.

these parasites usually found in brains. look up google if you dont believed me.

That is true freezing it is a lot better kills all of the parasites.When i am out on the water i like to chill it good i no it wont kill all the parasits but it helps and i try not to eat that much and not to eat the worms if i can see them..And the people that go on charter boats and let there Bonita sit in there bag all day don't eat it like sushi thats why it might taste bad even if you have the dripper system get it bleed and iced before you put your line out again.

Bigred

ONEKID
12-02-2008, 11:22 AM
freezing in your home fridge won't do much. parasites need to be flash frozen to a temp of -4 to -7 degree Fahrenheit to kill most parasites. only commercial freezers can do that. otherwise, in home freezers, you need to keep them frozen for 7 days at least to kill the parasites. At that point, the fish is no longer suitable to eat sashimi.

if your freezing your fish to kill parasites, you're not doing much unless you own a flash freezer. just keep your prepping area as clean as possible and you should be fine.

nematodes (which are the round worms most common in fish) are usually harmless to eat. bacteria is what you need to watch out for. bacteria is not directly a result of just fish. it is all around but cooking your food kills most bacteria. sashimi is weak to bacteria because it is not cooked.

Do not eat freshwater fish raw. fresh water fish have parasites that can do damage.

Bleed the fish as soon as you catch it allowing it to live as long as possible during bleeding.
never clean your fish with fresh water, if you wash down your fish after catching, do it with ocean water.