PDA

View Full Version : Better Late than Never....

FemaleFishinFool
10-13-2008, 01:01 AM
(Since this SW trip I fished the Sierra's twice - stayed at Parchers the week of 9/21 then returned to the Sierra's & stayed at Tamarack Lodge 10/3-10/8. Between those trips and work, I haven't had time to check back in and say........)

First.....
"Thank you" to everyone, especially RICKY RAY, for taking the time to offer tips & advice relative to my first SUCCESSFUL SW fishing trip!!!

As previously posted, I went out Weds. Oct 1 for some "rock fishing" (note to self, resist urge to insert Emo here :ROFL:)

Although my fish were no where near the size of those posted by the guys that did Catalina on 10/1, I had a blast nonetheless!!!

With the help of my host (a very kind & knowledgeable life-time SW angler) I caught a huge array of fish!

Boccacio: 5 (we kept one - largest was about 4.5 lbs. And yes, my Capt. was fully aware, and informed me that this species is essentially "protected" ~ thus, possession limit is specific. As an aside, how does one AVOID catching these? I , sadly, noticed that all those released did not survive, hence, not catching them seems to be the best way to prevent incidental death.)

Red Vermillion: 13 (many were very small & fortunately sufferd NO damage comin' up so they were C&R'd with out incident). The largest was approx 22" long and weighed in close to 8lbs!! That was a beast by my accounts!! Funny thing ....a little tiny RV, about 4" tried to ingest a 6" sardine (live). All it managed to do was hook itself without the benefit of a good meal. IT was then the target of the big RV,lol, so when I reeled in the rig, both fish were on the same freakin hook!!! It was the funniest thing I'd seen in a long time!!!

1 sole - only about 8" long and released to grow bigger!

1 mack - about 10" , we used it for bait in additon to the dines.

Lost what we estimate to be 6 diff hali's (all in the small bay just e/o Pt Dume - where the kyakers go just below the mansions on the point). I definately need practice so I can hook em rather then have them shred my bait & get away : (

3 Johhny bass - my Dad loved eating those!!!

1 sand bass

2 short ling cod - one, maybe 12" the other was only 19.5" and I think my host/Capt said it needed to be 22" or 24", can't recall.

2 sculpin (released)

We fished off Pt. Dume and in water 40-250'.

We kept and cleaned the bass, vermillion & a boccacio - ended up with about 25lbs of filet so I think that was a good haul for my first really successful trip out!

Thanks again!!!!
:Fishing Hole: ~FFF

Gmoney
10-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Hey FFF
great post....and a few emos here and there is all good by me :ROFL:
glad you got on some quality fish.

You got some great advice from RR...glad it paid off!! With everyone throwing their :My Two Cents: in for ya to use Id love to know how you ended up rigging and what lb line did you decide to use?

aint that fun keeping those fish from diving back into the rocks?? wahooooo!

again - great report and thanks for sharing the adventure with the rest of us!!!

G$

Ricky-Ray
10-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Definitely looks like you did well on your trip. What no pics????? :)

pokerface12
10-15-2008, 10:24 PM
We kept and cleaned the bass, vermillion & a boccacio - ended up with about 25lbs of filet so I think that was a good haul for my first really successful trip out!

Congrats on a productive day of fishing.

FemaleFishinFool
10-27-2008, 05:15 AM
Hi Guys!
(would have LOVED to respond sooner- but- since the site was down after I posted this report, I was not able to log back in until today! :Evil:)

Anyhow.....

G$:
I ended up using 25# line, 2 dropper loops and live 'dines, dines w/hand poured plastic supplied by my host or Gulps as recommended bo RICKY-RAY.

RR:
I have pics, lol, I just couldn't figure out how to post them without them showing up as little tiny thumbnails :Sad:

PF12:

Thanks!
Had a blast & can't wait to get back out again!
(Im off on Weds, so maybe I may be able to!!!)

Getting ready to head to June Loop; rented a house over-looking one of the lakes 11/8 for a week of :Cold Fishing: ~ the last week of ES Trout Season~ but hopefully I can get back to the salt before then!!

:Fishing Hole: ~FFF

JapanRon
10-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi FemaleFishinFool,

Great job all around and follow-up too !! Seems like the ladies will often come up with the larger fish .... especially the Rockfish. Get out there and get that variety while you still can this year !!

JapanRon