PDA

View Full Version : mackerel at night

Bucket bay
10-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Is it possible to catch mackerel at night from a pair?

Sinjin Kim
10-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Is it possible to catch mackerel at night from a pair?

Yup! Depending on time of year and location, fishing at night is often times the best time to target mackerel. Artificial light helps tremendously. Sabiki rigs with a tiny glow stick is very popular at many piers. I was in the Cabrillo area today and made a stop at the pier and mackerel in the 1 pound range is plentiful; don't know if they are open at night. If you want somewhat of a "ninja" spot I almost guarantee you will find mackerels, give me a call.

sansou
10-08-2008, 07:04 PM
"Ninja" spots for mackerel?

Whats the world coming too....

victor101
10-08-2008, 07:05 PM

True story....yesterday on a 1/2 day boat...we were trolling for bonita...wtf LOL

BIGRED KILLA
10-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Soon there will be ninja fishing for tom cod.lol good luck out there for your bug bait.

Bigred

Sinjin Kim
10-08-2008, 07:30 PM

Yes Rich, "ninja" because I am not sure if or if not it is legal to fish there at night. At least they pull harder than trout, lol. Oh damn! Just messing with ya.

Bucket bay
10-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Yup! Depending on time of year and location, fishing at night is often times the best time to target mackerel. Artificial light helps tremendously. Sabiki rigs with a tiny glow stick is very popular at many piers. I was in the Cabrillo area today and made a stop at the pier and mackerel in the 1 pound range is plentiful; don't know if they are open at night. If you want somewhat of a "ninja" spot I almost guarantee you will find mackerels, give me a call.
Thanks Sinjin.

Soon there will be ninja fishing for tom cod.lol good luck out there for your bug bait.

Bigred
Thanks Bigred.

Sansou I might need to put you on retainer. lol

spitbreaker
10-08-2008, 08:20 PM
i heard redondo beach pier, wfo during 3 hours before sunset and after 3hrs, and 1am-8am catching on everthing, and during slow hour big one scatter some are 2lb at most, big bait w/big hook = 2lb mack
large school come in and out, time its right, check the tides as well, this time!

candyman
10-09-2008, 01:50 AM
I usually catch alot of mackerel on larger sabikis during the day at newport pier.
You will see alot of older asian people catching them like crazy, the fish come in schools every 15-20 min or sometimes they stay for a really long time. At night I like to use a green glowstick with a leader and hook with squid, and use mackerel as bait after catching the first one. When they do bite its WFO so enjoy.

phyl

Badfish2
10-09-2008, 03:57 AM
This sounds awesome, but I hate reeling in fish from a pier.

Beeracuda211
10-12-2008, 09:07 AM
"ninja" spots for mackerel?

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: Oh my goodnesss i just spit out my coffee...

How about ninja fishing for lizard fish< big red i know your down!!! Lol lol

Billy Bass
10-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Yes, it's very possible. From experience both Balboa and Newport piers seem to do alot better on almost all tpyes of fish after it gets dark.