PDA

View Full Version : DP Hooping 10/5-10/6

HESBROS
10-07-2008, 08:01 AM
The bro and I took my friend Jeff that I know from work down to Dana for an eveing of hooping. Jeff lives in Lompoc and has a boat up there. He does not fish nor hoop, he uses his boat to get to good surfing spots. This was his first time hooping as he is considering getting some hoops.
We arrived at Dana at about 6:30 PM and put the boat in the water. I knew the outside wall would be busy so we decided to work the area off Doheny. The was some big swells rolling in every now and then, and we were in 19-20 ft of water and that made them seem even bigger and steeper. We took a look at the outside of the long wall arounf 8 and it looked like Copper Cove in Havasu during spring break.
We worked that area until midnight when we had to drop Jeff off. We ended that trip with one legal that we sent home with Jeff and about 20 or so shorts. Was not a big crawl but we would get one here and there. We caught some lobster and that was all that seemed to matter to Jeff....I think he may be hooked and hooping.

Here is pic of Jeff.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ehesbol/IMG_0923.jpg

After dropping Jeff off the bro and I headed to the outside wall, there were only about 3 boats left by then. We worked al night long until 0630 for about 100 or so shorts and 13 legals. We put 3 back that were barely legal through out the night, so we could have had limits for two. They crawled all night long, but better after 3 A.M.

We also were getting eels in nets, so be careful when you go reaching in the nets, we were getting them in places we we have hooped before and never got them.

Here are some pics.
The bounty.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ehesbol/IMG_0925.jpg

We got this big one. Both are legal size.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ehesbol/IMG_0926.jpg

Rich and bugs.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ehesbol/IMG_0927-1.jpg

Thats all for now, be safe out there!
Eddie

PS. We had a string of 7 nets along the wall near Doheny in a straight line so we could pull em easier in the off shore wind, we were drifting along and waiting when some cukes back their boat between two of our floats and drops a net between our nets giving about 10 feet seperation between theirs and our on either side. Mind you, our floats are lit and reflective, so they had to se them. So I cruise on down to them and ask if they could see our floats, and they reply "Yeah", so I make a question of is and ask "dont you think you dropped your gear a little close to our gear?", then I could here a few low voice comments from the boat saying "so what" and such. So I tell them that it is not cool at all to do that. and pull off to start pulling out set. They then backed up to their float and pulled it out of the area. Thanks for pulling your net and clearing the area if you read this. I dont think the ocean or the wall is mine, and I have no problem sharing, but if you are going to get close to someone, use common sense, they positioned their float in a manner that would have made it difficult for us the pull ours.

tunagod1
10-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Nice haul on the lobster. What time did the wall start thinning out? Never have hooped out of Dana pt. We will be doing an exploratory trip next weekend, hopefully we'll get some quantity.

Great job on the bugs

Tuna

chris
10-07-2008, 10:41 AM
nice haul guys that's a nice bug!
No shortage of shorts in D.P. this year, huh...

HESBROS
10-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Nice haul on the lobster. What time did the wall start thinning out? Never have hooped out of Dana pt. We will be doing an exploratory trip next weekend, hopefully we'll get some quantity.

Great job on the bugs

Tuna

TG, I would say around 10 or so as far as thinning out. Thats was on a Sunday night though. I dont know how the folks did out there early, the radio was dead. If you can do it, I say stay out all night, there was a lull from about midnight to 3, then every net we pulled had lobster.