PDA

View Full Version : Tough Sunday on Halibut

Sinjin Kim
10-06-2008, 03:21 PM
My friends and I had plans to fish Saturday but considering the weather, I decided to stay home. When thick clouds accompanied by rain and a drop in barometric pressure moves in along our beaches, focusing on halibut becomes quite a challenge as the fish seek deeper water and/ or become inactive.

I strongly feel the smaller fish ("poptarts") are less affected by weather change as larger fish and with this said, catching smaller fish usually isn't a problem - dropshot with smaller scale plastics and you should be able to catch a dozen or so fish without breaking a sweat.

The weather prediction for Sunday looked promising and with an afternoon high tide (12:30pm), I text messaged some of my friends and the four us way made way to the beach around 11a.m.

The conditions were nice. Semi-off color water, clear/ sunny skies, and a slight breeze at the first couple of spots. When we moved further north from our initial spot, we found stained water with red tide offshore moving towards the beach. There was no bait fish to be found and I wondered if the halibut must have moved on with the bait fish to deeper water.

Joe, Jacky, Alex (fishfreak) and I worked our butts off. I even down shotted with a 5" plastic and couldn't even manage a short bite. Perhaps scaling down to a 3" plastic would've done the trick on the smaller fish but we were out there specifically targeting larger fish.

Joe made the most of the day and caught a decent sized corbina, a couple short halibut and a queen fish he contemplated on using for bait. Alex managed a mackerel and Jacky and I completely blanked. Not even a single bite; talk about a tough day.

Although the fishing was poor, the outlook for this weekend looks very promising. With the red tide, a lot of bait fish will move in shallow and hopefully the halibut will be close behind. Sunny weather is predicted all week and with a great a.m. tide predicted for this weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if legal fish are caught all up and down the SoCal beaches.

*The new Ima Japan Sasuke 120 is going to give the Flashminnow 110 a run for its money. The Sasuke is slightly longer (120mm), suspends perfectly, are equipped with the best treble hooks (for halibut fishing) on the market Owner ST-46 (Not sold separately in the U.S.), ideal action for halibut, cast further than the Flashminnow 110 and the paint job was made to last a LONG time.

As for ST-46 hooks, these are the same hooks that are equipped on the Daiwa Saltiga Minnows. I have Saltiga Minnows I've used for years now and I have yet to replace the hooks.

The action to the Sasuke is similar to the Flashminnow. A while back, I want improve on the Flashminnow's action. I wanted a lure that wobbled slightly more during a SLOW retrieve, wanted a bait that was slightly larger and a lure that a finish that was more durable than the Flashminnow. On top of that, the Sasuke is equipped with the best hooks anyone can find in the world! I have minimal experience with this lure, but trust me guys, this lure is going to catch a LOT of halibut and pretty much anything else that swims.

*If you have a question, feel free to email @ sinjinkim@gmail.com
I will not share specific details via PM due to possible privacy issues.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/halijedi/DSC00090.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/halijedi/DSC00100-1.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/halijedi/DSC00129-1-1.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/halijedi/Joecasting-1-1.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/halijedi/DSC00108-1.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/halijedi/DSC00102-1-1.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/halijedi/hardbaits002.jpg
New Sardine Pattern Krocs.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/halijedi/hardbaits008.jpg
Ima Japan's "Sasuke"

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/halijedi/hardbaits009.jpg
The Sasukes are sold without any type of split ring. I personally added this new tear drop ring for added action. Depending on if I want more or less action, I can do this by simply reversing the ring.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/halijedi/hardbaits011.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/halijedi/DSC00101.jpg
For added appeal, replace the stock hook with a #4 feathered hook. The use of a feathered hook will also prevent many short bites as the hook will extend further back and in-line with the body of the Kroc.

Wingnut
10-06-2008, 03:33 PM
That's a weird looking fog bank rolling in there. :LOL:
I knew there was a good reason that I didn't go out on Sunday. Out of all the people I knew that went out, only one caught a legal and it was in the Ventura area. :Wink:
That Sasuke looks like it has potential. :Cool:

BTW - That holographic Krocodile does come with an extended stinger treble doesn't it?

fishindude420
10-06-2008, 03:44 PM
nice report man. i gotta get me one of those sasukes! They look awesome. Call me when you figure out what day you wanna go and hopefully i can make it down there.

tacklejunkie
10-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Sweet lures.
Welcome to my world of tough days in the surf. I haven't been able to find any legals since the first time I caught one. It's nice to be able to get a couple shorts when I go though!

Those pics had me on a second take for a minute too! :LOL:

Thanks for continuing to post excellent info. We all learn many tricks from ALL of the contributing members of this sight and I value all of everyone's opinions greatly. :Wink:

Zombie Bass ATTACK
10-06-2008, 03:47 PM
that sasuke looks alot like a ima bait

fishhard22
10-06-2008, 04:01 PM
That suck's about the skunk. Get em next time

baluga
10-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Interesting Lure 'Sasuke 120"
I just checked the specs on it after reading your post. Out of the box, It's an excellent contender for LC FM 110.

Good info there.

Thanks for sharing.

sh1nynewlove
10-06-2008, 10:46 PM
thanks for the report...

last time I asked you all about the lc question went out and the fog was just continuing to roll in up till 5pm. it was crazy.. never saw the fog last that long..
I only caught croakers. (hoping for my first hali.. but no luck with the lcs that day)

I'm interested about the Sasuke 120... and the feather on the kroc sounds like an awesome idea!

Sinjin Kim
10-06-2008, 10:52 PM
thanks for the report...

last time I asked you all about the lc question went out and the fog was just continuing to roll in up till 5pm. it was crazy.. never saw the fog last that long..
I only caught croakers. (hoping for my first hali.. but no luck with the lcs that day)

I'm interested about the Sasuke 120... and the feather on the kroc sounds like an awesome idea!

If you need some assistance in catching halibut, send me a PM with your number and I will make plans to head out on the water with and/or invite you when I head out with my friends. The guys I fish with are cool as hell and we always mess around, so there is never a dull moment. I would be glad to lend a hand and hopefully help you jump start catching halibut on a frequent basis.

bigshiri
10-07-2008, 12:10 AM
hey sinjin,

having seen the ima lure myself before on the net, i was wondering what you thought of the " heavy surfer" model in the ima lineup. thx big shiri

Sinjin Kim
10-07-2008, 12:24 AM
hey sinjin,

having seen the ima lure myself before on the net, i was wondering what you thought of the " heavy surfer" model in the ima lineup. thx big shiri

The Ima Japan "Heavy Surfer 90" is 90mm in length, weighs 1oz. and sinks like a rock. Not ideal for a slow roll presentation for halibut. From looking at the specs. for this lure, I imagine it would "lift" during a retrieve and prevent from dragging on the bottom. Just might be ideal for targeting halibut off a jetty in deeper water or when the surf gets rough. Just don't know yet, I will have to pick some up, give it a shot and post my opinion of the lure in a future report.

JSAUCE818
10-07-2008, 04:32 PM
good job out there fellas,..it was hella rough for me on sat. I threw everything including the kitchen sink and no love at all....i will redeem myself next week though :0)

surfnfish
10-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Man those Sasuke 120's are amazing baits. I'll be the first to admit I'm a terrible surf fisherman despite my best efforts, but those baits are phenominal fishing inshore and the islands. When the kelp is lying down in the current I don't think there is anything better to fish than the Sasuke of another ima bait, the ima Gene 130; they are just so much fun on calicos. As to the question about the Gyo-do 90 Heavy Surfer, it is my go-to bait for targeting fish deeper in the water column or holding on structure in up to 30 feet of water. There is no other jerkbait on earth that can fish that deep,at least none that I've found.

Sinjin Kim
10-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Man those Sasuke 120's are amazing baits. I'll be the first to admit I'm a terrible surf fisherman despite my best efforts, but those baits are phenominal fishing inshore and the islands. When the kelp is lying down in the current I don't think there is anything better to fish than the Sasuke of another ima bait, the ima Gene 130; they are just so much fun on calicos. As to the question about the Gyo-do 90 Heavy Surfer, it is my go-to bait for targeting fish deeper in the water column or holding on structure in up to 30 feet of water. There is no other jerkbait on earth that can fish that deep,at least none that I've found.

I am sure you already know this but for those who don't, for decades the standard for fishing for calicos along the kelp keds that aren't fully exposed to the surface has been swimbaits (Worm Kings, Fish Trap, Blams and now Big Hammers), surface irons such as a Salas 7X, 7X Jr., Oky, Dart Special, Tady 45 etc... I will definitely agree that surface irons produce better quality fish but I think with baits that are on the market today, such as the Ima Japan baits you've mentioned, there is just so much more we can accomplish and catch fish that was once unreachable by traditional methods. I think a 7" Senko rigged weedless falling through kelp will get hammered by calicos. Large double willow leaf blades (very weedless), large soft jerkbait (rigged weedless with or without a keel weight), topwaters such as Super Spooks, Vixens and even slow sink and floating BBZ-1 (can't wait for the 6" model). Call me crazy for chucking out a $60 bait, but I think I will be crazy enough to try zig zagging a Lunker Punker across the tops of kelp beds. I just hope a big bone or barracuda doesn't tear up the bait.

Man, all this talk about calicos is making me want to jump on a cattle boat!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on some of Ima Japan baits and starting a whole new conversation.

If you ever want to fish the surf, let me know. I sense you were born with a fisherman's mind and am sure you will pick up things quickly/ naturally.

reckless_m@
10-08-2008, 12:54 PM
I am sure you already know this but for those who don't, for decades the standard for fishing for calicos along the kelp keds that aren't fully exposed to the surface has been swimbaits (Worm Kings, Fish Trap, Blams and now Big Hammers), surface irons such as a Salas 7X, 7X Jr., Oky, Dart Special, Tady 45 etc... I will definitely agree that surface irons produce better quality fish but I think with baits that are on the market today, such as the Ima Japan baits you've mentioned, there is just so much more we can accomplish and catch fish that was once unreachable by traditional methods. I think a 7" Senko rigged weedless falling through kelp will get hammered by calicos. Large double willow leaf blades (very weedless), large soft jerkbait (rigged weedless with or without a keel weight), topwaters such as Super Spooks, Vixens and even slow sink and floating BBZ-1 (can't wait for the 6" model). Call me crazy for chucking out a $60 bait, but I think I will be crazy enough to try zig zagging a Lunker Punker across the tops of kelp beds. I just hope a big bone or barracuda doesn't tear up the bait.

Man, all this talk about calicos is making me want to jump on a cattle boat!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on some of Ima Japan baits and starting a whole new conversation.

If you ever want to fish the surf, let me know. I sense you were born with a fisherman's mind and am sure you will pick up things quickly/ naturally.

All of the above works quite well for the paralabrax ;]

I love the deep runner revenge double willows... The magnum flukes and fin-s & 8/0 ewg t-rig are killer at SCI. I try with the walking baits, but havent had any luck.

I recieved a box of IMA/Optimum baits in the raffle at the swba mdr tourney and have been loving the action on the Sasuke. I like to power fish the squadminnow128 and pointer128 through the lanes and around structure. The Sakuke has definitely been a nice addition to my $rip bait$ box.

surfnfish
10-08-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm right there with you guys. Fishing baits that the fish haven't ever seen makes for some pretty sweet action. like I've stated before I love ima, but MegaBass, Jackall, and LuckyCraft all make comparable(extremely awesome) baits. Spinner baits and belive it or not buzzbaits are also killer on the bass. Its okay throwing expensive baits as long as you can justify it by catching fish on them. That is what these companies do, produce especially high quality lures that catch fish and typically easily outproduce cheaper imitations.

p.s. Next time you plan on paddy hopping, bring some big blades. I know of more than one occasion when the yellows and dorado ate spinnerbaits even better than live bait

reckless_m@
10-08-2008, 08:30 PM
jellos love the charteuse shad double willow....

surfnfish
10-08-2008, 09:07 PM
yes sir yes sir. Nice flattie by the way

tpfishnfool
10-12-2008, 08:50 AM
What Brand of Rod's are you guys using ? I have always used spinning gear from the surf but I

Beeracuda211
10-12-2008, 09:03 AM
I love the catalina casting attempt... any success?? LOL :ROFL:

Sinjin Kim
10-12-2008, 10:28 AM
What Brand of Rod's are you guys using ? I have always used spinning gear from the surf but I

For hardbaits, I STRONGLY suggest using the same type of set-up you would use for deep giving crankbaits when focusing on LMB.