PDA

View Full Version : Halibut Article?

Sinjin Kim
10-05-2008, 05:58 PM
I got the latest copy of the Fish Taco Chronicles in the mail today, nice article Bill. :Cool:

Nice article!? From what I am hearing from so many people, Bill is bait fisherman. What does Bill Varney know about halibut fishing? Perhaps he may know certain areas where halibut can be caught (as he vaguely mentioned in the article), but what does he know about fishing with hard baits (Lucky Crafts in particular) or any other lures when it comes to targeting halibut?

If it was a general surf fishing article, I wouldn't get all fussed about it, but it was an attempt at writing a surf fishing how to on halibut fishing when he doesn't know the first thing about it.

Is that what you do? Gather information from others and slab it together and promote yourself?

"7-9' spinning rod, 3000 size spinning reel, 8-16# test"? Are you kidding? He couldn't even come up with his own pictures. There is a picture of come guy who caught a nice halibut on a spoon and then Wingnut's picture of his collection of Flashminnow 110s.

Now you guys see why I take down my articles? Because posers will write articles for other websites and magazines and benefit from the hard work I've put into this style of fishing. Sure words are twisted around to make it "seem" to content belongs to Bill or who ever else and to be honest, the information in the article wasn't nearly as informative as it should be.

Simply amazing. Absolutely no shame. Not even a "Hey Sinjin, I am writing a halibut article for this magazine. Do you mind if I mention some of the things you've written and taught in the past?"

Bill Varney, if you want to learn a thing or two about halibut fishing, come to my seminar. By the way, I heard someone say there was an art to fishing with bait? Sure there are some tricks to be learn here and there, but an "art?"

I've never had an issue with you Bill and I even called you when you relayed the message through Bucket Bay asking me to give you a call. Spoke to you for a couple minutes, said you would call back, and now this?

Teach all the bait fishing you want. Leave the "how to" on artificials to those who know what they are talking about and actually have the experience. If you take someone's information, the least you could do is give them"some" credit. You even mentioned your website. People who don't know you might think, "this guy really knows what he was talking about in his article." If they come across your site, they may feel you're an expert at tackling halibut because you have a legit business site. I just hope you don't steer them in the wrong direction with "your" information. I could imagine if someone contacted you asking you to teach them how to properly work a hard bait or some other halibut tactic!

Bucket bay
10-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Sorry it didn’t workout Sinjin I was just trying to help.

Wingnut
10-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Sinjin, Sinjin, Sinjin... That's not very nice. I think that if you take some time and think things through... you will take down this thread and send Bill a PM instead. :Cool:

If it's public affirmation you want, I'll give it to you. When I first started surf fishing about 10 months ago, I've never heard about using hardbait in the surf, or even anybody named Sinjin Kim. But one of the people that taught me how to surf fish, Mike (Kichigai1), told me that you were one of the first, if not the first to throw the LC's in the surf environment. I started applying the concept and found that it actually works. Then I read one of your articles that shows how to dropshot for Halibut and gave it a try. Caught a few Flatties that way but by far, I have the most success with the LC's. I'm certain that I'm not the only one who benefited either directly or indirectly from your ideas.

No need to chastise Bill, he means well. I told you on the phone when you called me earlier that unless you copyright your materials, anything you put up is fair game. I have the screen shots of ALL your articles saved... doesn't make sense for you to keep putting them up and taking them down.

I urge you to hurry up and finish your book & DVD projects ASAP, before someone beats you to it... if that happens, you'll really flip your lid. :Evil:

one_leg
10-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Nice article!? From what I am hearing from so many people, Bill is bait fisherman. What does Bill Varney know about halibut fishing? Perhaps he may know certain areas where halibut can be caught (as he vaguely mentioned in the article), but what does he know about fishing with hard baits (Lucky Crafts in particular) or any other lures when it comes to targeting halibut?

If it was a general surf fishing article, I wouldn't get all fussed about it, but it was an attempt at writing a surf fishing how to on halibut fishing when he doesn't know the first thing about it.

Is that what you do? Gather information from others and slab it together and promote yourself?

"7-9' spinning rod, 3000 size spinning reel, 8-16# test"? Are you kidding? He couldn't even come up with his own pictures. There is a picture of come guy who caught a nice halibut on a spoon and then Wingnut's picture of his collection of Flashminnow 110s.

Now you guys see why I take down my articles? Because posers will write articles for other websites and magazines and benefit from the hard work I've put into this style of fishing. Sure words are twisted around to make it "seem" to content belongs to Bill or who ever else and to be honest, the information in the article wasn't nearly as informative as it should be.

Simply amazing. Absolutely no shame. Not even a "Hey Sinjin, I am writing a halibut article for this magazine. Do you mind if I mention some of the things you've written and taught in the past?"

Bill Varney, if you want to learn a thing or two about halibut fishing, come to my seminar. By the way, I heard someone say there was an art to fishing with bait? Sure there are some tricks to be learn here and there, but an "art?"

I've never had an issue with you Bill and I even called you when you relayed the message through Bucket Bay asking me to give you a call. Spoke to you for a couple minutes, said you would call back, and now this?

Teach all the bait fishing you want. Leave the "how to" on artificials to those who know what they are talking about and actually have the experience. If you take someone's information, the least you could do is give them"some" credit. You even mentioned your website. People who don't know you might think, "this guy really knows what he was talking about in his article." If they come across your site, they may feel you're an expert at tackling halibut because you have a legit business site. I just hope you don't steer them in the wrong direction with "your" information. I could imagine if someone contacted you asking you to teach them how to properly work a hard bait or some other halibut tactic!

I have always enjoyed reading your articles SinJin.
You came to my aid once, and I appreciate that to this day.
Keep posting and good luck in all your endeavours.
As always, if there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

O_L

Sinjin Kim
10-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Sinjin, Sinjin, Sinjin... That's not very nice. I think that if you take some time and think things through... you will take down this thread and send Bill a PM instead. :Cool:

If it's public affirmation you want, I'll give it to you. When I first started surf fishing about 10 months ago, I've never heard about using hardbait in the surf, or even anybody named Sinjin Kim. But one of the people that taught me how to surf fish, Mike (Kichigai1), told me that you were one of the first, if not the first to throw the LC's in the surf environment. I started applying the concept and found that it actually works. Then I read one of your articles that shows how to dropshot for Halibut and gave it a try. Caught a few Flatties that way but by far, I have the most success with the LC's. I'm certain that I'm not the only one who benefited either directly or indirectly from your ideas.

No need to chastise Bill, he means well. I told you on the phone when you called me earlier that unless you copywrite your material, anything you put up is fair game. I have the screen shots of ALL your articles saved... doesn't make sense for you to keep putting them up and taking them down.

I urge you to hurry up and finish your book & DVD projects ASAP, before someone beats you to it... if that happens, you'll really flip your lid. :Evil:

Arthur,

As mentioned, I am not one of those "myspace whores" who need and want as much attention as they can get. If people appreciate the information I've shared with the local fishing community, that is fantastic. If others feel there is no need to give credit or thanks, well... then that is fine too.

What irks me is when a person benefits from someone's hard work by taking information and utilizing it in a manner to selfishly benefit themselves. As you've stated, I didn't have a copyright on any of the articles I've posted online. However, after discussing this issue with a litigation attorney, I was informed there are ways to put together a case. With or without copyrights, people will take an idea, material, plan...etc. if he or she sees they can benefit from it; so legally protecting my material will be an issue I will deal with personally in the future.

Legally speaking, I didn't protect myself. No copyright - fine. What about the moral issue? Like I've said, some folks simply have no shame or simply don't think deep enough understand what he or she may be doing. Bill knows who I am and the material I've introduced to the fishing community. Yet he felt it was unnecessary to acknowledge the person who created this new trend to surf fishing and wrote in a manner that may fool unknowing readers into believing he has the know how and the experience with this style of fishing.

Arthur, you understand my frustration and I thank you for being open minded. I will be much more careful with future information. As a matter of fact, I want people who have searched for my articles to know that me and my partner are working on a website that will be filled with information you can't find anywhere else. I am very excited about this project and it won't cost anyone a dime. FREE!

The reason why I won't post my articles on message boards anymore is because I've been hearing website owners mention whatever is written on a website is the property of the website owner. Shocking! I don't want to be in a position where I have no control over my work. For this reason, my material will either be mentioned at a seminar, on my website, and in future literature (book and articles for fishing magazines). There is more to me than just the LC and the DS and I will work hard to gain the respect from my audience. You have no idea how excited I am about these projects. I am even considering not participating in any bass tournaments the next year or two to devote more time into my endeavors.

I do want to thank Bill for one thing. Thank you for putting this charge into me. I will use this motivation wisely.

Bill Varney, let me ask you one question. I've been to your site and in the gallery section http://fishthesurf.homestead.com/FTSphotogallery.html I don't see one picture of you with a halibut (more less a halibut caught on any of the information in your article). Considering halibut is such a prized catch in the surf, I am confused as to why (if you have caught halibut; excluding incidental catches) you didn't post any pictures of halibut you've caught. If you don't have much experience with halibut and especially targeting halibut with artificials, why pose as someone who knows about this fishery and write an article mentioning that the Lucky Craft Flashminnow is the best lure to use for halibut?

Poke6uy
10-05-2008, 11:50 PM
bill who? no idea who's that person is.. is he another ronnie kovich? I understand your frustration Sinjin. Wingnut is right, copyright all your material ASAP. If someone wants to take advantage of you, make them pay for it.

good luck with the DVD and seminar. when is the seminar by the way? I heard it's sometime in October at Sav-on Tackle?

lurk 182
10-06-2008, 01:00 PM
wow, sounds like you forgot all about our little back and forth via PM last week. oh well, best of luck with making a living off jerkbaits in the surf. Wingnut's right, somebody's got more editing to do.

jbacsaf
10-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I gotta agree with Sinjin. This is basically a case of substance vs. form. Just because what bill? did was not illegal, it doesn't make it right. Crap like this makes me wish we can take care of things ourselves. But it was good that Sinjin put this thread up so bill doesn't get too much credit for his article. Probably the only recourse SK has...

Fisherman57
10-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Sinjin Kim aka HaliJedi,

I would like to address a couple issues you find the need to press over and over again here on the FNN message boards.

First, in regards to the advertisement YOU wanted to post here in the form of a web "flyer" about YOUR seminar, I advised you in a private PM that FNN does not permit non FNN advertisers to post such flyers. I was very clear.

In addition, normally only FNN advertisers or those that sponsor FNN / TEAM 57 events will be allowed on occasion to post a "web flyer" about an upcoming event or "seminar" in the form of a web flyer. Always with prior FNN admin approval.

In regards to yours specifically, NONE of the companies involved were FNN sponsors.

However, in order to try and help you, I politely advised you that you COULD post a thread in regards to your seminar in the "rendevous" section. All I asked was for you to leave out the sponsor logos and the tackle shop information and I simply asked you to advise those interested in your seminar to send you a PM where you could then provide all the needed information to them via a PM or e-mail. Very simple.

Instead, you decided to again post the information in the "reports" section and attached a "report" to try to qualify the post. In return, I met you half way, I allowed it to remain there, however I edited out the business information you insisted on still including. I asked that members contact you via a PM.

For some reason, you take following the rules of FNN all very personally. Im not sure why really, maybe you just dont like following rules? You and I have only met once (At the "Incident at Irvine" event, where you won a raffle prize).

I mention the raffle prize for one reason, it's the PAID sponsors of this site that make our events and raffles possible and one of those sponsors made it possible for YOU to go home with a prize that day. They also make it possible for you to continue to post here at no charge.

Seems only fair to support and protect the sponsors of this site in return for all they do for our members.

Im sorry that you were not happy with that decision, but thats the rule here.

Now in regards to THIS particular thread, I'm always amazed when you attack a fellow fisherman and fellow FNN member that you have never fished with. I don't ever recall BV questioning your ability, or your character or anything else for that matter.

Yet, you have questioned his, implied he was a "poser" and so on. I think thats a BIG mistake on your part.

Everything you said here, could have been directed to Bill in the privacy of a PM. But again, you choose to do it in public, so I will respond in public as well.

You'd be well served by concentrating on yourself and your fishing ability rather than worrying about others and what they're doing. I know if I was in the position to sponsor you, invest in your books or dvd's that you have spoken of over the years, I would hesitate based simply on the way you conduct yourself in regards to other fishermen.

Why would you say such comments publicly? If you felt BV infringed or owed you some kind of credit or recognition why not contact him directly? My understanding is it has nothing to do with FNN other than the fact that Bill is a member here, just like you. So why post such comments here, to garner public support? Keep in mind that any investor could hold the key to you making a fortune, and then he or she may read a post like you have posted here and decide you are not the type of person they want to be associated with or back finacially.

You may have the best ability on this board when it comes to halibut fishing, but since I dont know you well, have never fished with you and only know of what you post on the board, I would never question it. Yet you do others? Why is that?

In addition, your comments here more than likely intimidate others from posting reports, new members from joining the site and all in all hurt the entire board in general.

I enjoy reading Bill's contributions to this board as much as I do yours, but we can all do without your chest pounding. Although I cannot speak on behalf of Bill, I'd rather retain him as a member than have him leave because he has to suffer thru this kind of BS.

The board is here to share and have fun for everyone. I shouldn't have to defend FNN rules to you or anyone and other members shouldn't have to defend themselves from you.

Get back to fishing and check your ego at the door.

If you'd like to respond, feel free to do it via a PM to me.

Thread locked.