PDA

View Full Version : How does the colder weather recently affect surf fishing!!

familyguy15
10-03-2008, 01:28 PM
How does the colder weather lately affect the fishing. been wanting to go, but its been a little cold these past few weeks here in oceanside.

SOSO
10-03-2008, 07:56 PM
How does the colder weather lately affect the fishing. been wanting to go, but its been a little cold these past few weeks here in oceanside.

Man up and get some waders. Surf fishing gets more exciting during the colder season. Bigger model BSP and Halibut more on the chew.

Simplyeman
10-03-2008, 08:09 PM
man up and lose the waders:LOL:

GUNFISH
10-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Shrinkage?

JSAUCE818
10-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Surf fishing gets more exciting during the colder season. Bigger model BSP and Halibut more on the chew.
yes sir! :0)

Wingnut
10-06-2008, 06:46 PM
The cooler water will signal the Halibut spawning period. :Wink: :Twisted:

Sinjin Kim
10-06-2008, 06:48 PM
The cooler water will signal the Halibut spawning period. :Wink: :Twisted:

Please elaborate on this. I am always open to learning.

Personally, I once thought that halibut spawn twice a year because halibut I've caught and kept in the fall were full of eggs. How mature these eggs are I have no clue. Today, I believe the eggs that are found in halibut during the fall are maturing and will take months before it is ready to be released during the warmer waters of spring - summer.

Just doesn't make sense halibut would spawn in the fall when winter is right around the corner.

Wingnut
10-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Please elaborate on this. I am always open to learning.

From what I've read, they spawn twice a year. I don't keep enough Halibuts to know for sure.

Sinjin Kim
10-06-2008, 06:57 PM
You're gonna have to sign up for one of my seminars.

When? Where? No B.S., if you give a seminar, I will attend. There is always something to be learned from a fellow angler; well experienced or not.

Sinjin Kim
10-06-2008, 06:59 PM
From what I've read, they spawn twice a year. I don't keep enough Halibuts to know for sure.

Where did you read this? I've spent years studying the halibut and have yet to find an article that mentioned halibut or any other fish that spawn during the fall or twice a year.

Wingnut
10-06-2008, 07:00 PM
When? Where? No B.S., if you give a seminar, I will attend. There is always something to be learned from a fellow angler; well experienced or not.

:ROFL: You caught me editing! No man, I'll leave all the hard work to you. I have a full time job, and my boss is a jerk. :Big Smile:

Wingnut
10-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Where did you read this? I've spent years studying the halibut and have yet to find an article that mentioned halibut or any other fish that spawn during the fall or twice a year.

I read it in the DFG website, but they were referring to Central and Northern California for the California Halibut. I guess Halibut that lives in Northern parts of California have different spawning patterns as the ones here in Southern California... Marine Biologists knows best I guess.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mspcont8.asp

Here's an excerp from another article from John Collar that I read a while back.

Species Information

The body of the California Halibut is oblong and compressed with the head being relatively small and the mouth being what I consider somewhat large.
http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/images/stories/article1pic2.jpg

Although the California Halibut is a member of the left-eyed flounder family (Bothidae) nearly 40+ percent of California Halibut have their eyes on the right side. Their coloring ranges from dark brown to light brown and can include some black, orange, and green on the topside and white on the bottom, or the blind side. Their numerous and very sharp teeth along with a very large mouth and a high arch in the middle of their topside make them easily identifiable from other flatfish that reside along the California coast such as the Pacific Halibut, Petrale Sole, Starry Flounder, and the Pacific Sanddab.
http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/images/stories/article1pic3.jpg
California Halibut feed almost exclusively upon sardines and anchovies. I find they also eat and feed on Grunion, Smelt, Herring, Tom-Cod, small Spanish or Greenback Mackerel, small Perch, Pompano, and live or fresh-dead Squid. California Halibut have been observed chasing schools of sardines and anchovies close to the surface, and at times they can and will jump clean out of the water in an attempt to secure a meal. Male halibut usually mature when they are 2 or 3 years of age. Females usually mature when they are 4 or 5 years of age and are believed to live for more that 30 years.

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/images/stories/article1pic4.jpg

California Halibut will move up into shallower water to spawn in Spring and Fall months. Spawning periods will differ slightly from southern to central and even northern California. I believe the California Halibut spawn throughout each year with the vast majority of fish choosing March and April, and September and October. Other common names for the California Halibut are flatty, fly swatter (small), barn door (large), fluke, and butt. Halibut prefer a sandy bottom although they can be found on the hard bottom areas, muddy bottom areas, gravel bottoms, sand dollar and clam beds, and even around structure such as reefs, rock piles, kelp, and lobster traps.
Mature females can produce hundreds of thousands of eggs with each spawning. Some larger 30 to 50 pound California Halibut females have shown they can produce into the millions of single round eggs with each spawning. Halibut begin life as larvae almost plankton in size which is nourished by a yolk sack.
http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/images/stories/article1pic6.jpg
They begin feeding at the 2 or 3 day old stage when their jaws become functional. They are born with eyes on both sides of their head and as they approach metamorphosis one eye begins to migrate over the top of the head and winds up on the same side of the head as the other eye.

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/images/stories/article1pic7.jpg

Once the eye begins to migrate the larvae begins to swim on its side. This is when the eyed-side develops a pigment forming the brown side of the fish. Determination of how quickly the larvae grows depends on the habitat. Bays, harbors, and leeward sides of points and islands can produce warmer water temperatures and create a stable growth environment. These areas have shown to have a more abundant food supply. It's a shame though the California Halibut's habitat is being changed, altered, and destroyed by the activities of humans.
California Halibut have no air bladder.
Fishery

exfactor
10-06-2008, 07:16 PM
DFG has done some tagging on hali's, and we had 2 that been released at Oceanside, and MDR some 8 months ago. Seems they wag their tails quite a bit to cover that kind of area. The hardcores don't talk about migration routes too much, but they sure know when to fish an area. Mikey

Sinjin Kim
10-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I read that article a couple years ago. I think it is/was posted on another message board. Nice article. Full of information on catching halibut, but what interested me most was the life cycle of the halibut.

As for the writer's opinion on halibut spawning during complete different times of the year, I guess we will never know unless concrete scientific evidence is behind a hypothesis.

Regardless when they spawn, one thing is for sure; more and larger fish are accessible from the surf during the fall and spring months.

Can't wait for this weekend to come. Going to be fishing with a couple gents I've never met and would love to create some memories with them by catching some nice fish. That sounds a bit funny. "Brokeback Fishing?" lol

soulsurfer
10-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I read that article a couple years ago. I think it is/was posted on another message board. Nice article. Full of information on catching halibut, but what interested me most was the life cycle of the halibut.

As for the writer's opinion on halibut spawning during complete different times of the year, I guess we will never know unless concrete scientific evidence is behind a hypothesis.

Regardless when they spawn, one thing is for sure; more and larger fish are accessible from the surf during the fall and spring months.

Can't wait for this weekend to come. Going to be fishing with a couple gents I've never met and would love to create some memories with them by catching some nice fish. That sounds a bit funny. "Brokeback Fishing?" lol

Sounds bro-mantic Sinjin!!!!

knocks those butts dead big boy !!!

all kidding aside...hope you get the big one like the one you posted a few years back.

Soul

Sinjin Kim
10-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Sounds bro-mantic Sinjin!!!!

knocks those butts dead big boy !!!

all kidding aside...hope you get the big one like the one you posted a few years back.

Soul

Bro-mantic lol! I needed a good laugh. Thanks.

As for the search for the monster (or at least "monster" for surf fishing standards), I just want one to big caught by me or anyone else. I just want some type of reassurance and confidence that fish over the 45 or even 50" range can be caught from shore.

I've heard of a stretch of beach on Santa Rosa Islands that kicks out truly beastly barred surf perch with consistency. I wonder if this beach is stacked up with trophy halibut just waiting to be caught from shore? Sounds like I am going to have to make plans to camp out there for a few days next year.

LADY DESIRE'
10-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I read it in the DFG website, but they were referring to Central and Northern California for the California Halibut. I guess Halibut that lives in Northern parts of California have different spawning patterns as the ones here in Southern California... Marine Biologists knows best I guess.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mspcont8.asp

Here's an excerp from another article from John Collar that I read a while back.

Species Information

The body of the California Halibut is oblong and compressed with the head being relatively small and the mouth being what I consider somewhat large.
http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/images/stories/article1pic2.jpg

Although the California Halibut is a member of the left-eyed flounder family (Bothidae) nearly 40+ percent of California Halibut have their eyes on the right side. Their coloring ranges from dark brown to light brown and can include some black, orange, and green on the topside and white on the bottom, or the blind side. Their numerous and very sharp teeth along with a very large mouth and a high arch in the middle of their topside make them easily identifiable from other flatfish that reside along the California coast such as the Pacific Halibut, Petrale Sole, Starry Flounder, and the Pacific Sanddab.
http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/images/stories/article1pic3.jpg
California Halibut feed almost exclusively upon sardines and anchovies. I find they also eat and feed on Grunion, Smelt, Herring, Tom-Cod, small Spanish or Greenback Mackerel, small Perch, Pompano, and live or fresh-dead Squid. California Halibut have been observed chasing schools of sardines and anchovies close to the surface, and at times they can and will jump clean out of the water in an attempt to secure a meal. Male halibut usually mature when they are 2 or 3 years of age. Females usually mature when they are 4 or 5 years of age and are believed to live for more that 30 years.

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/images/stories/article1pic4.jpg

California Halibut will move up into shallower water to spawn in Spring and Fall months. Spawning periods will differ slightly from southern to central and even northern California. I believe the California Halibut spawn throughout each year with the vast majority of fish choosing March and April, and September and October. Other common names for the California Halibut are flatty, fly swatter (small), barn door (large), fluke, and butt. Halibut prefer a sandy bottom although they can be found on the hard bottom areas, muddy bottom areas, gravel bottoms, sand dollar and clam beds, and even around structure such as reefs, rock piles, kelp, and lobster traps.
Mature females can produce hundreds of thousands of eggs with each spawning. Some larger 30 to 50 pound California Halibut females have shown they can produce into the millions of single round eggs with each spawning. Halibut begin life as larvae almost plankton in size which is nourished by a yolk sack.
http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/images/stories/article1pic6.jpg
They begin feeding at the 2 or 3 day old stage when their jaws become functional. They are born with eyes on both sides of their head and as they approach metamorphosis one eye begins to migrate over the top of the head and winds up on the same side of the head as the other eye.

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/images/stories/article1pic7.jpg

Once the eye begins to migrate the larvae begins to swim on its side. This is when the eyed-side develops a pigment forming the brown side of the fish. Determination of how quickly the larvae grows depends on the habitat. Bays, harbors, and leeward sides of points and islands can produce warmer water temperatures and create a stable growth environment. These areas have shown to have a more abundant food supply. It's a shame though the California Halibut's habitat is being changed, altered, and destroyed by the activities of humans.
California Halibut have no air bladder.
Fishery

Thanks for the info!