PDA

View Full Version : Oops, No Brakes! Truck Rolls Into Long Beach Harbor

HESBROS
10-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Found this on KNBC Web...anyone out hooping last night have more info?

LONG BEACH, Calif. -- A mishap at the marina in Long Beach left a boater's pickup truck all wet overnight.

Police say the truck's owner had a new boat and was returning from taking it out for the first time. He attached the boat to a trailer on the pickup but didn't set the truck's parking brake.

The truck and trailer rolled back into the water with the boat still attached, and the truck went underwater.

Harbor patrol officials had to tow the truck back onto dry ground with a winch.

The mishap happened around midnight. It took about 90 minutes to recover the pickup.

No one was injured.

Brian_GSC
10-03-2008, 10:08 AM
:Shocked: I bet that guy doesn't make that mistake again!

Good thing nobody was hurt.

lizzay
10-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Found this on KNBC Web...anyone out hooping last night have more info?

LONG BEACH, Calif. -- A mishap at the marina in Long Beach left a boater's pickup truck all wet overnight.

Police say the truck's owner had a new boat and was returning from taking it out for the first time. He attached the boat to a trailer on the pickup but didn't set the truck's parking brake.

The truck and trailer rolled back into the water with the boat still attached, and the truck went underwater.

Harbor patrol officials had to tow the truck back onto dry ground with a winch.

The mishap happened around midnight. It took about 90 minutes to recover the pickup.

No one was injured.

How does that happen? isn't it on park?

tacklejunkie
10-04-2008, 06:41 PM
How does that happen? isn't it on park?
Not if it's a manual transmission. Then it relies on a hand brake to keep it parked (and you can also put the car in 2nd gear when the engine stops to help keep it there if you have a junky parking brake)

soulsurfer
10-04-2008, 06:56 PM
that's funny sh*t man... He's going to look back on this and laugh about it one day. live and learn mi amigos.

Robert trout hunter
10-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Poor guy thats a bad mistake

BassEngineer
10-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Man I feel bad for that guy...
:ROFL:
:ROFL:

HEMAN
10-04-2008, 09:47 PM
wow. i feel soooooo much better about forgetting the boat plugs now...

BakoBassin
10-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Didn't something like this happen at Silverwood a couple of years ago? I believe Nessie and some others were out there when it happened and took pics.

Mondo21
10-05-2008, 12:49 PM
What a big mishap,glad everyone was okay. Cindy:Big Grin:

FemaleFishinFool
10-13-2008, 12:41 AM
OMG!! :ROFL:

Back in '89 (I worked for a _______ Dealer) I had re-furbished my pick-up and traded it in on an SUV. The son of the GM really liked my truck, so he convinced his Mom to buy it for him.

That weekend he took it down to a local marina (cant recall which ) with a couple of jet-skiis on a trailer.

Mind you, the truck had just had a new clutch, trans OH, brakes, tune-up and an over-all " mechanical makeover". It had custom rims, huge OR tires, massive sound system ~ beautiful ride!!

No sooner had he hopped outta the truck to off-load the skiis when the skiis, trailer, AND truck all rolled backwards, down the ramp and into the drink - submerged cab & all :ROFL: (Sorry Robbie, but that s**t was soooooo funny!!!)

He too had to have the whole lot towed out and it eventually made it back to our dealership. It was a sorry sight upon arrival :Sad: needless to say, the truck was a total loss!

~FFF