PDA

View Full Version : Check out this booger!

matt duarte
10-02-2008, 02:37 PM
that i tyed! this is my first fly thought id start off with a easy one and work my way up! ill have more pix of others i get tyed when i get home... gotta love the fly tying kit!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/booger.jpg

smalweld
10-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Nice going on to booger, glad it's not the slimy ones :) Just wait till you catch your first trout on a fly you made from some string and feathers!!! LOL you think you are hooked now!!

Seems like every Saturday I am off to some local stream to catch some more trees and fish on flies that I tied while watching TV.

Sean

matt duarte
10-02-2008, 03:00 PM
haha ya no slimey boogers here lol ya im addicted! this stuff is fun! ill be watchin the rest of the tying vid that came with the kit today and tying up some more!!

the rabbit face that comes with the kit is pretty narly! wasnt expecting that lol

City Dad
10-02-2008, 03:14 PM
the rabbit face that comes with the kit is pretty narly! wasnt expecting that lol

Just wait until it gets and warm... nice smell. Some furs for tying are un-tanned so as not to eliminate the natural oils in them and they can get a bit funky. I've started keeping mine in an old, cedar cigar box.

And oh, our dog loves to eat rabbit masks when he can.

KaliDawgFan
10-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Dude, you need to trim your nose hairs. I can hardly see the booger.

Bronzeback
10-02-2008, 04:23 PM
that i tyed! this is my first fly thought id start off with a easy one and work my way up! ill have more pix of others i get tyed when i get home... gotta love the fly tying kit!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/booger.jpg

Tye some in the #12-14 sizes. These "little buggers" are very effective in skinny water.

tacklejunkie
10-02-2008, 05:47 PM
LOL! Nice "Booger"!
The boneheads in the video call it a booger I think for copyright reasons :LOL:
I think normally they call them buggers but I could be wrong.
Good stuff man, glad to see you're having fun with it!
Much easier than pumping out crankbaits ay?
(Then wait till you see the crankbait lips they have for flies! haha)
Been trying a bunch of crazy minnows for our next bassin sesh..

LOL I must have laughed my butt off for 20 mins when I saw the bunny face in my starter kit.
Then I Tied my first Hare's Ear Nymph and it looked so deadly I finally understood.
Then I also realized I could probably tie a hook to a fox tail sticker and catch a fish too. (Fox tail caddis!)

CD:
My buck tails stiiiiiiiiink man!:ROFL:

DccFISHerMan
10-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Sweet deal man i dunno if i could work on something that small. Id prolly get mad and give up. lol. Maybe i can talk my gf into making some for me. lol

hughpam
10-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Very cool! My first flies are very special to me, but only as memories. I donated them to trees in the Sierras.

And it's true that you will be over whelmed when you catch your first fish on your own fly. I would encourage you to learn to tie the tiny ones now, since they will be your most successful ones in the native streams.

BTW, my white buck tail stinks too. That is something I wouldn't usually publish either.

Tom
10-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Now that is a SAR killer.
Nice Job.

matt duarte
10-03-2008, 08:28 AM
lol thanks for the comments guys! i hope my rabbit fase doesnt start to stink thats kinda nasty! lol

well here are 2 more flys i tied would of had 3 but one was a mess up lol
one is a custom adams, and the other is a somewhat custom elk hair caddis

the one on the right is the caddis and the other is the custom adams
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/2flys.jpg

heres a close up of the adams
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/closefly.jpg
can you see the adams eyeballs i tied in?

City Dad
10-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Dude, it looks like your tying area is a hell of a lot nicer than mine... do you like, live in the Governers mansion or something?

nice caddis. you'll score for sure with that one. I've never seen that version of an adams. Is that tail biot? What are those eyes made of? Looks a bit like a damsel fly. Nice work.

matt duarte
10-03-2008, 02:21 PM
haha no i cleaned up b4 i took the pic it was a mess lol... For the adams tail i used grizzly hackle tips and rooster neck tips... The eyes are plastic and i bought them at bps i didnt follow directions on the adams thats why it looks a lil different... It did have wings like the adams are spose to have but i accidently ripped them out lol but it looks like it should still work good.... Thanks for the comments!

City Dad
10-03-2008, 02:52 PM
I've had a lot of luck with parachute Adams everywhere - still water to freestone streams. it takes a bit of practice to tie, but if you have several in sizes 14 all the way down to 20, you've got a good range of trout food forms covered. Did your kit include a whip-finish tool? I resisted buying one until recently. Glad I finally got one... makes finishing off those #20s much easier.

matt duarte
10-03-2008, 02:58 PM
lol no didnt come with one but i made sure i bought one after seeing TJs... it does make everything a hell of a lot easier i still got to go buy more stuff though.. the elk hair that comes with the kit sux the longest hair is lil 1" long makes it hard to stack with the stacker.. and i need more dubbing.. the black and grey they supply just wont cut it...

but i think i can get some free dubbing off of my cat lol! while i was tying last night she jumped on the couch next to me and it got me thinkin... but she ran away before i could get my sissiors to her lol i think i might take some hair off my bro in laws chewawa (cant spell) its all types of colors and will work well for caddis flys hahaha now al i ot to do is shoot that road runner i always see in my back yard and ill be in business lol