PDA

View Full Version : Halibut Report & (Seminar Info.)

Sinjin Kim
10-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Free Seminar- "Advanced Halibut Tactics"

Date:
October 23rd, 2008 @ 6:30pm

Due to FNN business regulations, I've been told by the moderator that I can't mention the name of the tackle shop or any other businesses if they are not paid sponsors of this site. So out of respect for FNN and its business regulations, please email me for further information regarding the seminar @

sinjinkim@gmail.com

In my past seminars I mainly focused on utilizing hard baits and the drop shot technique when targeting halibut from the sand. In this seminar I will be covering new material as well as the hard bait and drop shot methods.

-How to pattern fish.
-New/Advanced lure presentations.
-Tools for selecting a beach to fish.
-Lure modifications.
-Making adjustments on the water.
-Reading the water in depth.
-Seasonal patterns for a specific beach. (Beach location TBA at the seminar).

: I will be covering topics I've yet to share with the public in the past.

:: In the case enough seats are not available, I suggest bringing a portable chair to sit down on.

::: Hope to see you guys there.***

JSAUCE818
10-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Way to put in work out there guys...i bet joe is having fun out in the surf! We were buggin you about hitting the surf during our lmb outings. Lol.

Im gonna be hitting the surf this sat on a hunt for some flatties.

Sinjin Kim
10-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Way to put in work out there guys...i bet joe is having fun out in the surf! We were buggin you about hitting the surf during our lmb outings. Lol.

Im gonna be hitting the surf this sat on a hunt for some flatties.

Jesse,

We've been talking about hitting the surf together for far too long. Give me a call and lets make plans for Saturday. BTW, the fish bit the hardbait well in the morning and when the hardbait bite completely shut off, the iron was on fire. Bring both. If Joe and I had taken our dropshot rig, I think it would've been one cast one fish when the bite took off. A lot of small fish in the area mixed in with some larger fish. It is up to you, a lot of smaller fish, strictly target larger fish or both. Either way, I am pretty confident on a few spots and hopefully we will be able to slam'em.

fishindude420
10-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Nice job out there man! Those are some nice looking halis. looks like a nice day on the water.

bsp
10-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Killer report once again! Hopefully I will be able to take some halibut trips before winter comes.

That lecture sounds like a really good deal, but I will have to wait for the book. When will it be available?

JSAUCE818
10-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Jesse,

We've been talking about hitting the surf together for far too long. Give me a call and lets make plans for Saturday. BTW, the fish bit the hardbait well in the morning and when the hardbait bite completely shut off, the iron was on fire. Bring both. If Joe and I had taken our dropshot rig, I think it would've been one cast one fish when the bite took off. A lot of small fish in the area mixed in with some larger fish. It is up to you, a lot of smaller fish, strictly target larger fish or both. Either way, I am pretty confident on a few spots and hopefully we will be able to slam'em.
im game i dont mind driving the distance, ill let you know for sure friday. Thanks for giving me the heads up on the arsenal to bring, i just feel embarassed cause you guys got all this big baller gear and im gonna roll up with my spooled Pepsi can. And also my "NGK" spark plugs to dropshot.

CrabMan
10-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Sinjin,
Thanks for the report and pics. Looks like you guys had a great day!:LOL:

Don't you hate it when you hook into a nice ray or shark--hoping that it's the fish of a lifetime--only to be let down by the lowly mud marlin!:ROFL:

Sinjin Kim
10-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Sinjin,
Thanks for the report and pics. Looks like you guys had a great day!:LOL:

Don't you hate it when you hook into a nice ray or shark--hoping that it's the fish of a lifetime--only to be let down by the lowly mud marlin!:ROFL:

I rarely have any problems with bat rays. However, those damn SNGF need to give me a break time to time! Even when targeting sliding 'beans in the shallows with "jellies," these damn SNGF somehow find a way to get my hook down there throats!

From past experiences, when I thought I had a large halibut, it turned out to be a smoothhound or some sort of ray. On the flip side, when I thought I was hung up or snagged a ray, it turned out to be some of my biggest halibut. I need to work on my sense of feel, lol.

exfactor
10-01-2008, 08:08 PM
What was your iron of choice for the day?

Poke6uy
10-01-2008, 08:12 PM
i had a felling today would be an epic type day because of the weather change. too bad this weekend looks like crap. :EyePop:

awesome report sinjin! Thanks for the heads up.

Oz
10-01-2008, 09:12 PM
i was @ savon tackle yesterday and saw the flyers there. if i dont have to work that day im sure i will shoot down there for the seminar.

hakaveli
10-01-2008, 10:23 PM
nice good job out there

hakaveli
10-01-2008, 10:39 PM
double post

jerryG
10-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Sinjin,

I'm not suprised you guys hooked some bigger fish at waters edge. Like I was saying when we talked over the weekend I had walked up on 28-30" last week that was laying in about 1' of water. It didn't spook until I poked with my rod and even then it just swam slowly away. Most of the fish I've caught over the past few weekends have been close to shore.

I'm a firm believer in the iron for halibut. I hold it in the same regards as the hard bait. They are two completely different lures and the way I present them is completely different as well. The only aspect that I have found that makes these two lures alike is that they are both deadly on the flatfish. I might fish saturday. Let me iknow if your going to fish..

JerryG

Wingnut
10-02-2008, 12:23 AM
What do you think about using deeper diving hardbaits like the LC Pointer SP100 to reach the deeper troughs...or would you still rather use the irons?

jerryG
10-02-2008, 01:35 AM
Lipless baits have worked well for me at times on halibut but they definitely have their time and place. I always carry them but I mostly just use them to work deeper water. As Sinjin has mentioned The one distinct advantage that the lipless has over most lippped baits in that they sink. This provides versitility to work them at any depth but most importantly for halibut is that you can work them close to the bottom. It can be critical when fish are holding in deeper water and are unwilling to come up off bottom to chase a lure higher up in the water column.The vibration and flash seem to agrevate halibut.

Sinjin,
I'm going to try to make out for fishing saturday morning. I'll call you.

Thanks,
Jerry

JSAUCE818
10-02-2008, 06:19 AM
What do you think about using deeper diving hardbaits like the LC Pointer SP100 to reach the deeper troughs.
i personally always asked this question but instead i tried the LC Staycee 90 (aurora black) and did pretty good, UNTIL i got snagged and lost it :0/

Since i am a broke fisherman at this time,lol Im gonna try the Irons since they are not that expensive compared to LC's.

fishfreak
10-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the pictures and report! keep them coming!