PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra trip #3 9-26-28th

Badfish2
09-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Wanted to get a shot at some fish before the closing trip I'm going to take October, so I headed up to Bishop. Weather was nice, not too hot during the day up in the mountains above 7000 ft. Started the trip off with Intake 2

Intake 2 report:

Fishing was slow, I didn't see one limit come out. I managed a few fish including this nice brown but not until it was almost dark. During the day, it was more or less weak. Tons of fisherman lined the lake, saw people throwing just about everything out there without much result. I did manage a couple in the few hours I was there. Caught this one on a Fire Tiger Thomas Bouyant, it hit about 10 feet out from the dam area
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/Feta40/BigFishTripSept2008170.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/Feta40/BigFishTripSept2008168.jpg

Upper and Lower Twin Bridgeport:

I headed up to Little Virginia to do some fishing, but found out they don't take ATM at the lake, so I had to go to Bridgeport to get money. While in town I decided it was a good idea to check out upper lower twin for my October trip. I threw out CD 9 Rapalas, Thomas Bouyants, Trout Teasers, Power Bait, and I got :Skunk:d there.. :Sad: Although I didn't put much effort into it, I mostly just wanted to check out the lake, In hind sight I should have fished the inlets or outlet areas of the lake. I'll be back though, :Secret: Pics of Upper Twin, water was clear clear clear
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/Feta40/BigFishTripSept2008172.jpg

Finally though, My efforts of this trip paid off. After getting the skunk from Upper Lower twin, I headed back to Little Viriginia to rent that row boat and see what happens.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/Feta40/BigFishTripSept2008021.jpgWeather was cool, no wind at all and there were quite a few tubers on the lake. I started out in the back of the lake near the rock slide, and it was tough going. My famous Cyclone Thomas Bouyant tear drop shaped lures were doing nothing.:Angry: I did get hit a few times, but it was nowhere near the 40+ fish in 2 hours I caught there on that lure last time. I didn't give up though, I headed back to the left rear portion of the lake in front of the spot where a lot of bait fisherman had been all day. Figured the scent of all that bait in the water over there was probably attracting the fish over there. I had already tried Rapalas, Bouyants, Rainbow PB, Yellow Sierra Gold, Trout Teasers in Pink, Brown, Green etc with no luck at all. Once I got to the new spot, I decided to bust out the Pink Garlic flavored Zeke's bait. Threw it out and initially caught nothing, reeled it in slow to put something else on and I saw I had a chaser, the fish hit the bait. That gave me :Idea:s so I threw it back out there. Caught a few more, and it got better from there.
Reflection on Little Virgina
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/Feta40/BigFishTripSept2008176.jpg

At 4pmish I was determined to get the action on the bouyants I had before, but decided to put on a BS rig of a split shot and treble with a 2 ft leader and more of the Pink Zekes in order to have pole out while I was riggin the new lures on. Casted it out about 10 feet from the boat in about 3 feet of water. I almost forgot about the pole when I heard a splash behind me.. I had a fish on. :???: When I picked up the rod, it was pulling hard, I mean really hard. I loosed the drag a lot and the line was singing... I knew the fish was pretty nice so I let him swim. He just about spooled me, literally swam across the lake and finally tired out. About 10 minutes laker I netted him. I managed a 4lb 3oz Alper .. my PB in the sierra. :Big Grin: I'm definitely going to try the pink floating bait again at Little Virginia...Here's the beast here..

I'm photoshopped out of the pic though:ROFL:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/Feta40/BigFishTripSept2008017b.jpg
another pic
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/Feta40/4lber.jpg

Lone Pine Creek
On the way home, I wan ted to fish lone pink creek a little, and ended up at the pool not too far from the pinic grounds at the top of the portal road. Here are pics of the lake and the bows I caught. They all hit on Split shot rigs with #18 treble hooks loaded with a single yellow salmon egg. I caught 5 and bailed after that to beat traffic.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/Feta40/lpcreekfish.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/Feta40/lpcreeklake.jpg

Fall colors were amazing up there, here's a few shots of that. Head up soon though, they won't last long.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/Feta40/BigFishTripSept2008169.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/Feta40/BigFishTripSept2008173.jpg

one_leg
09-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Nice looking Alpers dude!!!

Thanks for the report.

Congrats to you.

DCCTrouserTrout
09-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Ha ha... I didn't read your captions at first and I couldn't figure out that floating trout..

FishnSierra
09-29-2008, 09:25 PM
good report.

awesome fall pictures and nice alper too..

ikeman
09-29-2008, 10:01 PM
great photos! I love the reflection shots and the foliage. The photoshopped one is nuts!

What? No ants for apps? I'm otta' here! See Ya!!!!!!
I'm already for the next trip.....

Thanks for the post!

Badfish2
09-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the replies... I thought you'd all get a kick out of the photshop.:LOL:..

In all seriousness, fish near the bottom with small baits, or flies seemed to be getting the bigger fish.

Badfish2
09-29-2008, 10:35 PM
good report.

awesome fall pictures and nice alper too..

Yeah, I had to stop and take some photos of it, in the sun those leaves were glowing.

Badfish2
09-29-2008, 11:31 PM
great photos! I love the reflection shots and the foliage. The photoshopped one is nuts!

What? No ants for apps? I'm otta' here! See Ya!!!!!!
I'm already for the next trip.....

Thanks for the post!

Haha, no ants man. I did think about that while I was up there, didn't see anyone using them.

Trout-Slayer77
09-30-2008, 10:11 AM
i was up in bishop at the same time...ill post my report soon. congrats on your pb sierra trout !! thanks for the report and pics. its beautiful up there this time of year...and great weather too.

Badfish2
09-30-2008, 05:18 PM
i was up in bishop at the same time...ill post my report soon. congrats on your pb sierra trout !! thanks for the report and pics. its beautiful up there this time of year...and great weather too.

Thanks bro, felt good to get the small trout thing off my chest and land something bigger than 2lbs. :LOL: Hopefully this is just a sign of things to come for me in the sierra.. I'd really like something 10lb+... took me 20 years to get to a 4lb trout so it could be a while:ROFL: I'd trade my 50+ fish days up there for a 2 or 3 big fish day with no problem

Trout-Slayer77
10-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks bro, felt good to get the small trout thing off my chest and land something bigger than 2lbs. :LOL: Hopefully this is just a sign of things to come for me in the sierra.. I'd really like something 10lb+... took me 20 years to get to a 4lb trout so it could be a while:ROFL: I'd trade my 50+ fish days up there for a 2 or 3 big fish day with no problem

I felt the same way bro, until earlier this year in February, when i caught my sierra pb, 6lb bow at PVR. and a 5lbr the next day. unless you count the 14lb carp i caught about 5 yrs ago, out of the east walker river. I thought it was a trophy brown, almost had a heart attack.

im ready for that DD brown out of the twins next year :Wink:, im sure you'll get yours too if u put the time in.

TS-77

Granny Fish
10-01-2008, 11:16 AM
That floating trout had me laughing. :ROFL: Beautiful pictures of the fall color. I love the Bridgeport area. Nice job on the bigger models. :Wink:

Koshaw
10-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Great pics/report and kewl levitating fish.

=^^=

GdHkSet1
10-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Great job on the pb-nice fish, the weather was great. We too were up there-in the bishop creek area.

Badfish2
10-01-2008, 05:03 PM
I felt the same way bro, until earlier this year in February, when i caught my sierra pb, 6lb bow at PVR. and a 5lbr the next day. unless you count the 14lb carp i caught about 5 yrs ago, out of the east walker river. I thought it was a trophy brown, almost had a heart attack.

im ready for that DD brown out of the twins next year :Wink:, im sure you'll get yours too if u put the time in.

TS-77

Yeah, the sierras are definitely not like the local lakes, there ARE big fish up there, but they are a lot more spread out and harder to catch. I'm going to go back to Little Virginia in October to try it again, also going to spend a day on Lundy/Upper lower twin to see what happens. I'd really like that 10lber

Badfish2
10-01-2008, 05:03 PM
That floating trout had me laughing. :ROFL: Beautiful pictures of the fall color. I love the Bridgeport area. Nice job on the bigger models. :Wink:

Thanks, it was nice to get something in a little bit bigger. :Wink:

troutdog
10-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Nice report and pics BF2, that brown is sweet looking....nice alpers too. My buddy was fishing along the shore in the area you had pictured at Little Virginia....the biggest they managed in two days was a 2lber. Kudos to you. Nice photshop job, but the birthmark is really not that noticeable :LOL:

TD

diamondbear
10-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Bf2 , GREAT REPORT , I can't get enough of the fall color pics . I started fishing the upper twin in Brideport in 1976 and it can be a tough lk. to fish at times but it has a cool campgroud thats really family freindly . Virginia lks . is a favorite of mine for float tubin . thank you .

Beeracuda211
10-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Nice Report Badfish... I love the fall colors... looks like east coast

B/C

Badfish2
10-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Nice Report Badfish... I love the fall colors... looks like east coast

B/C

That's about as colorful as cali gets, nothing like the east coast though i'm sure. I bet north east is nuts this time of year.

Badfish2
10-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Bf2 , GREAT REPORT , I can't get enough of the fall color pics . I started fishing the upper twin in Brideport in 1976 and it can be a tough lk. to fish at times but it has a cool campgroud thats really family freindly . Virginia lks . is a favorite of mine for float tubin . thank you .

Float tubers own Little Virginia and Big Virginia lake, without that boat rental I would have been screwed. Tube is definitely the way to go though.. Thanks man

Badfish2
10-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Nice report and pics BF2, that brown is sweet looking....nice alpers too. My buddy was fishing along the shore in the area you had pictured at Little Virginia....the biggest they managed in two days was a 2lber. Kudos to you. Nice photshop job, but the birthmark is really not that noticeable :LOL:

TD

THanks dude, it was on and off all weekend, some managed a few big ones and the rest got skunked or only caught a few. I did somewhere in the middle of that. Hope to get another one this October at the end of the season, i'm headed back.