PDA

View Full Version : Newport Harbor sunday 9-28 w-bassmaster818

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Hit Newport Harbor with Bassmaster818 Sunday….

Got a little late start due to misc things…8:30 or so we hit the water at Newport Dunes and launched.

We started fishing as the high tide was ending and was already beginning to turn.

Hit one good hard incoming tide spot that usually works early on in the tide for several casts with plastics but I could tell it was too late for that spot since we weren’t getting drilled so we took the 50 cent tour through the harbor to the bait barge to see what they had waiting for us….

real nice anchovies were on the menu so…..

off we go to a couple good drift spots…….pretty slow …..

another drift spot….bamn ! shorty flattie…..

We worked it in those zones for another 40 minutes or so for a couple other short biters but no more hookups…..

Then another drift spot near the jetty…….BENDO !!!!!

Drag pulling action….Ohhhhhh Yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nice big flattie hits the decks…..hooked in the jaw he was fine but as soon as I RAMMED my hand in his gills….

Bloooooooooood……oh yeah….couldn’t resist the blood shot !!!

27' to 33' seemed to be their lair at this point in the tide/day
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWPORTHARBORW-8189-28-081a.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWPORTHARBORW-8189-28-082a.jpg

The action wasn’t real steady, we had another few short tags but we worked the area diligently….and the 2 I had caught were in a real dosile feed pattern, they weren’t the thumping sort of bites you normally experience, a few strong vibrations, then all pressure…not unlike a LMB freshwater bite….I’m wise to those tricks though buddies….sorry flatties !!!!

finally, I had to change things around so we traveled a bit to about ½ ways into the bay near davies locker where I usually can get some real nice fat spotties and Sandbass…..

Bam !!! Geordy is on……”Skunkshaka !”

We enjoyed a pretty steady bite there for about an hour.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWPORTHARBORW-8189-28-08GEORDY1.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWPORTHARBORW-8189-28-08SANDIE11.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWPORTHARBORW-8189-28-08GEORDY2.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWPORTHARBORW-8189-28-08SANDIE10.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWPORTHARBORW-8189-28-08WSB3.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWPORTHARBORW-8189-28-08SBB5.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWPORTHARBORW-8189-28-08SBB4.jpg
P.S. that one hanging is a WSB...trying not to touch it as it was way short!....shook the hook out with [pliers and he swam off unharmed !

15' to17' was key for this action, once the water dropped to 13-14, the action fizzled

then it fizzled out but not before Geordy could hook into a real nice fish that appeared to be a REAL NICE bass……Battling hard……
POLE BENDING ACTION !!!!!!

POP ! line “snapage !” 17 lb test……Damn !!!!!!! that was definitely a nice “keeper”

Then a little while later…….ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz!

Non stop….Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Geordy strikes again…..not a whole lot he could have done at this point, the 10 lb test pole he hooked up on was clearly no match for this beast !

It ran…FAST up-current as all of our feeding fish were doing, it continued to PEEL line unstoppably…..heading under a moored boat where there were 2 mooring bouys and the cables that come with them…….SNAP !......DAMN !
We’ll never know for sure what that was but if I had to guess judging the run pattern, I’d say it was a big ray….

It seemed like all the fish we caught there had the same feeding behavior, they’d pick it up and run up-current, the outgoing tide was strong here at this time of day but it’s a nice long flat where there are many mooring bouys, I think they like it as those cable and bouys break up the flow and create small eddy’s that attract baitfish

So…..action is slowing….
Another move…..back to Halibut central….. after about 6 drifts with only 2 short bites…

“this is broken !” “I gotta fix this” I state…..so…

Off to a new zone…one that I’ve never fished….but as I see it from afar…I tell Geordy, “Hmnn…see that sandy horseshoe flat ? I’ll bet that suckas should hold some halibut !”

Post on up…..current is real strong there…I have to keep the motor running and bump it in gear periodically….we each have 2 poles out as I control our drift…

Slam. !!!!!!! Flattie On !!!!! as I get that one in the boat……Wham !!!!! another on the other pole !!!! these suckas weren’t biting like their cross bay cousins….they were AGGRESSIVE BITERS !!

So I had a cool double hookup of sorts….
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWPORTHARBORW-8189-28-08FLATDOUBLE.jpg
Unfortunately they were way short…so back into the bay….to catch another day..

The…..SLAM….another flattie…another short but it’s all good….just glad I located them.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWPORTHARBORW-8189-28-08FLATTIE9.jpg
Moved off the tip of the horshoe for a nice hard battleing drag pulling short slimestick....(barracuda)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWPORTHARBORW-8189-28-08CUDA8a.jpg
13' to 17' seemed to be key in this area at the turn of the tide
During the days festivities…the brainless wonders were pestering us with our baits and during their pestering….well……PHOTO OP !…….

I removed my hook and another hook that was festering in his mouth then…..off back into flight…..a wonderfull sight !!~!!
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWPORTHARBORW-8189-28-087.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWPORTHARBORW-8189-28-087A.jpg

All in all a real fun time and a good day, I had hoped for more big fish but yoyu can’t get them every trip out, I am happy to be getting action at this bay that I do not frequent often….
Halibut will be on my menu tonight and I gave ½ of the fillets to Geordy and dad as his dad has never eatin a flattie b4. 4 of the 5 flats I caught were short but I am always pleased to obtain the targeted species within the targeted species areas...
Good times !!!!

Till next time,
Gary

Swivel
09-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Nice flatty you got out there! Gotta love fishing NPH

GeordyBass
09-29-2008, 12:11 PM
thanks for the filets dude!im gonna eat em in a while...this trip was a "trip"....ive only fished 2 times in a boat in the saltwater in my life!lol...i got freaked out when my lucky "lightning" started peeling drag non-stop!!!next time...were gonna get the big(gger) boys and hell is gonna be put to them ARRRRRRRRRG!

hugo c
09-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Very detailed and interesting report on fishing one of my favorite bays. WTG.

WARRIORMIKE
09-29-2008, 12:53 PM
What a hell of a trip :Shocked::EyePop::Cool: Caught some birds, fish and not telling what,or who else you might have caught if you were out there a little later. Your report felt like I was there too.

Awesome and funny azzzzz report!!!

Stormcrow
09-29-2008, 12:59 PM
excellent report. Great day in the harbor for you guys!

Ifishtoolittle
09-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Nice assortment of fish and Pelican :LOL:!

Wingnut
09-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Ha ha, we did flip flop on Sunday. Good looking Flattie you got there Gary, yum, yum. :Wink: Terrible feeling getting spooled... the last time I was fishing that harbor I got spooled on 10lb test also. :mad: Nice job on the catch variety. :Big Grin: I'm going to try to get back to the salt this weekend. :Cool:

fishindude420
09-29-2008, 09:25 PM
nice job out there guys. thats a nice hali! How big was it?

Rooster
09-29-2008, 10:26 PM
great report and pics as always bro,, gotta love the variety..props

HESBROS
09-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Nice day in the Harbor there Gary!

geobassmaster818
09-29-2008, 11:45 PM
good job gletemfeelthesteelgary and bassmaster818!!!this is BS...what bait were you using?
what gps coordinate were you at?
why do you have to say ryhmes and recipes so much?(hey BM818 I bet that fish fry u did was good)this site is getting sloppy!why are you advertising KPN's lure so much?where?this is my 17th post yay!!hahahahahahaha
I love this site....

Bucket bay
09-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Nice work boys.

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-30-2008, 09:22 AM
good job gletemfeelthesteelgary and bassmaster818!!!this is BS...what bait were you using?
what gps coordinate were you at?
why do you have to say ryhmes and recipes so much?(hey BM818 I bet that fish fry u did was good)this site is getting sloppy!why are you advertising KPN's lure so much?where?this is my 17th post yay!!hahahahahahaha
I love this site....

when you reach 27 posts....then ask me..

Ha ha ha.......undercover brotha huh

supasportkid
09-30-2008, 10:05 AM
nice quality fish!! WTG

GeordyBass
09-30-2008, 10:53 AM
when you reach 27 posts....then ask me..

Ha ha ha.......undercover brotha huh

who is gebassmaster818?didnt he leave the site because of the "geobass" thing?lol...good times...hehehe...this might be another time for a change of name.....FeeltheStainlessSteelGeordy!lol...serious ly...i kinda stopped bassin so,,,wanna change screen name...or shall I slay castaic like you gary?

kpn
09-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Good job taking Bass818 out to the salt Gary :LOL:. Look like you guys having fun out there.
NOW! Go back to Castaic to kill more stripers :ROFL:.

KPn.

GeordyBass
09-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Good job taking Bass818 out to the salt Gary :LOL:. Look like you guys having fun out there.
NOW! Go back to Castaic to kill more stripers :ROFL:.

KPn.

alright mister khanh "luremaster818"lol...im still waiting for your DD buddy!!!!!!lol,,,

breeze71
09-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Nice job guys!

All is good but I did not find any hali fillet outside my front door Monday morning :Rolls Eyes:

nice job out there guys. thats a nice hali! How big was it?

1-30lb range.....dude 420 you have some size issues :LOL:

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Nice job guys!

All is good but I did not find any hali fillet outside my front door Monday morning :Rolls Eyes:

gonna have to get you salty again sometime soon Hiro (NO PUN !!!!!)

BUT......for now...a quick stiper slay will suffice but plan on going in 2-3 weeks

Sorry....The Halibut fillets are for the "on-site" fisherman only.......ha ha ha

fishindude420
09-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Nice job guys!

why dont you just stfu fkn idiot! i was asking a simple fkn question retard. why dont you just keep to yourself if u have a stupid response and stop trying to start drama.

breeze71
09-30-2008, 04:27 PM
why dont you just stfu fkn idiot! i was asking a simple fkn question retard. why dont you just keep to yourself if u have a stupid response and stop trying to start drama.

Don't get butt hurt kiddo.

Gary simply didn't post the weight for 2 reasons.

1. He doesn't need to feed his ego.

2. He wouldn't want a pesky teen gnawing at his shoe laces over how much a fish weighs. :LOL:

fishindude420
09-30-2008, 04:30 PM

2. He wouldn't want a pesky teen gnawing at his shoe laces over how much a fish weighs. :LOL:

i dont want to know the weight. i want to know how long it was so STFU. why dont u just shut it and let gary answer, i wasnt talking to you. i asked him a question. so keep yourself out of others peoples business.

gary nice job on the hali man! I just wanted to know what size it was. it looks well over 23!

Zombie Bass ATTACK
09-30-2008, 07:55 PM

:Arrow::Smack::Slap::My Two Cents::Neener Neener::Applause::Idiot:...

first off hes not a teenager homeboy..and second what gives you the right to even open that mouth of yours??? i wouldnt if i were you .maybe you should put some better glasses on and try not to P I S S off the wrong dude. :Big Grin:

JSAUCE818
09-30-2008, 08:17 PM
. i want to know how long it was so STFU.
whoa, whoa, whoa,...damn bra,...Ask those questions through PM, a lil to personal there....lmao...jk
just trying to switch up the mood here :0)

fishindude420
09-30-2008, 08:34 PM
whoa, whoa, whoa,...damn bra,...Ask those questions through PM, a lil to personal there....lmao...jk

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. nice one man :) lol

flyngby
09-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Gary,

Great report as usual as if that is something new.:Big Grin:

We seem to find some of the same productive spots while in that harbor but not at the same time!!! Either I or you have a keen eye for figuring out the spots that will produce in that harbor.

As I have been teaching my bud Eddie, that in the harbor tide and current as well as strength of both do make a difference to success there.

As with any where you have to figure out the strength and weakness of the location and plan accordingly.

I love the pic of you questioning your partner as to what's up I put you on then and that is the best you can pull up from the depths????? :ROFL:

Thanks for the report from my favorite spot now get back to killing those fish at Castaic.

Steve

fishhard22
09-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Cool report man haha sounds like an awesome day of fishing

TroutOnly
09-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Great job guys,,,i love mr flattie ,gary,,,,,

GeordyBass
09-30-2008, 10:42 PM

ahhhh,,,my salsita...lol...your on a roll dawg!!!lol...funny shiiiiit!

GeordyBass
09-30-2008, 10:45 PM

I don't wanna butt in but,i think hiro was messin with ya...and I don't wanna drama here!this report has me included...lol...

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-01-2008, 10:31 AM
I like ta fish !.....I think I need to go again soon...

There may be something to this fishing thing....

I might be getting good at it....

I'm gonna get me some powerbait next time and see if I can get a big one...

I just bought me one of those flying lures.....do they catch flying fish ?

I also want to try that Banjo minnow....will they be good for guitarfish ?

are there catfish in the bay ?

I think I might try to catch dogfish !

BUT I am going for a hog !

One thats a real pig !

I hope I don't get a skunk !

Or one of those lil "rats" !

But ya neve know, I might tie into one of those huge "Bats"

Gotta fish.....gotta catch....gotta kill.

Catch photogragraph.....AND EAT....
I'm still eatin beer battered Halibut nuggets.....Ohhhh Yeah !!!! right now....right here at work !

Yeah buddy..
Gary
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWPORTHARBORW-8189-28-08beerbatter.jpg

GeordyBass
10-01-2008, 10:50 AM
I like ta fish !.....I think I need to go again soon...

There may be something to this fishing thing....

I might be getting good at it....

I'm gonna get me some powerbait next time and see if I can get a big one...

I just bought me one of those flying lures.....do they catch flying fish ?

I also want to try that Banjo minnow....will they be good for guitarfish ?

are there catfish in the bay ?

I think I might try to catch dogfish !

BUT I am going for a hog !

One thats a real pig !

I hope I don't get a skunk !

Or one of those lil "rats" !

But ya neve know, I might tie into one of those huge "Bats"

Gotta fish.....gotta catch....gotta kill.

Catch photogragraph.....AND EAT....
I'm still eatin beer battered Halibut nuggets.....Ohhhh Yeah !!!! right now....right here at work !

Yeah buddy..
Gary
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWPORTHARBORW-8189-28-08beerbatter.jpg

mmmmmmmmm...looks delicious son!

troutdog
10-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Great report and pics guys, congrats on the fish and killer day on the water! Way to go guys...

TD