PDA

View Full Version : June Loop in Nov

FemaleFishinFool
09-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Hi All! :Wink:

Myself and a few friends from work :Cart: are heading to the ES for the last week of trout season. Ive confirmed a reservation for a Condo up there....

Can anyone tell me:

Is it typically snowing around this time?
What about lake access?!?! Self-launch or marinas open?!?!?
Should we expect road-closures or are the main roads plowed on a regular basis?!?!?

Any other tips, hints, warnings anyone wishes to share would be grrrrrrr-eatly appreciated!

Thanks~
:Fishing Hole: FFF

fishing_addict
09-29-2008, 12:13 AM
What area will you be staying in? Gotta know that first.

chris
09-29-2008, 08:00 AM
its gonna be cold enough to snow if it rains and if there's lots of snow they could close roads. the lakes should be accesible

gwjones00
09-29-2008, 01:02 PM

Typically? No. Can it? This time of year anything is possible. Be prepared. I was up there for closing weekend one year when it didn't drop below 35 at night. I've been there in a deep freeze in late September.....

Check with the marinas. Silver and Grant will be closed. You can still self launch though. I believe Gull and June Marinas will be open.

Should we expect road-closures or are the main roads plowed on a regular basis?!?!?

Once again - should you *expect* road closures? Not unless it snows. If it does snow enough to require plowing, then the Loop will be closed at the Edison Generating Station just past Whispering Pines. You will not be able to get to Silver, Grant or Rush Creek beyond that point. Also, if things really dump, Mono County's priority is to keep things opened to Mammoth (for the obvious economic reasons). That being said, a dump of snow large enough to close roads is pretty uncommon that early in the season (although not unheard of).

Have fun! Wish I could be there with you, but I'll be in Buffalo NY (talk about cold) that weekend.

Badfish2
09-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Hi All! :Wink:

Myself and a few friends from work :Cart: are heading to the ES for the last week of trout season. Ive confirmed a reservation for a Condo up there....

Can anyone tell me:

Any other tips, hints, warnings anyone wishes to share would be grrrrrrr-eatly appreciated!

Thanks~
:Fishing Hole: FFF

Well, hopefully you get up there before it snows..but I've been camping up there in June Lake in October and woke up with 5 inches of snow on the tent. Check the weather before you leave, it will tell the story. Chances are the lows of the nights will be in the low 30s upper 20s consistantly by then, but highs can easily rise to the 60s. Roads won't be a problem, they plow them fast up there. Bring jackets..lots of them.

FemaleFishinFool
10-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the input, All!

~FFF

Lunker1979
10-01-2008, 10:06 PM
I'll be in Mammoth renting a house November 5th through the 9th. Haven't decided where we are going to fish yet. I hope it does snow! Nothing like fishing with the flakes coming down. I just don't want WINDS!!! Good luck!

Badfish2
10-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the input, All!

~FFF

You're welcome, let us know how it goes.. I'll be up there in October too

Sandman
10-10-2008, 08:48 AM
last year we went to pull my budiies boat out of June in early November. June maina was closed and all rentals were out of the water already. Gull was open though.

gwjones00
10-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Just an FYI - Tioga Road is closed due to snow. Doesn't mean that it won't reopen if the snow melts, but as of today the Tioga Pass country is not acessible by car.

Badfish2
10-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Yep, they got quite a bit of snow this last week up in the sierra... it's going to be a cold trip up next week for me

one_leg
10-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Just frickin go up there man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tpfishnfool
10-12-2008, 08:04 AM
just frickin go up there man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ditto !! Its fall fishing

Badfish2
10-12-2008, 08:33 AM
best time of year to be there by far..

gwjones00
10-12-2008, 06:07 PM
About two thirds of the way down in this post: http://panamintvalley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4535 are some photos of the snow. One is in the parking lot at June Mountain. For what it's worth, Tioga Pass reopened today!

Hope you slay 'em up there!

Badfish2
10-12-2008, 09:18 PM
whoa, that's a lot of snow.. thanks for posting up that link