PDA

View Full Version : Newport Beach-1st time hitting the surf!!!

WARRIORMIKE
09-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Well me and one of my good buds Rafeal (fastimes90)decide to hit the surf at Newport Beach.We parked near 23rd st, and the meters dont start charging you until 8am which was cool:Cool:. We started fishing around 6 am and we made plans to make this day a all day event. Being that I never really invested time into surf fishing I wanted to do it right and look for places and do some trial and error, but time was and always is a factor too. Nevertheless started 'chucking" out the American Shad flash minnow I remember reading on one of Sinjin's report where he mentioned using confidence colors. I love throwing the Lucky Craft and definetly I do use a lot of American Shad for my bass fishing so I packed those up the night prior and also took the some Aurora Black too. So as I was throwing the lure, I was making my way down the surf and I almost stepped on a sand shark, or a stingray, couldnt tell, just was flat and small. I also wore my waders so I figured I would more likely be ok if i did step on a stingray.

So got to be about 630 and caught a huge surf perch on the flash minnow. He hit almost when I was done reeling it in. More likely about a pound perch, fat lil beast. Walked my way done to the first jetty north of the pier and when I got there caught my first leopard shark, went maybe about 3lbs, was a little baby. I don't know if thats normal but he got really tangled around the lure and line. I also switched baits and caught him on a pointer100, american shad. I got him around 730-8am. Also when i brung him into shore some surfer dude was telling me that "I should let him go,and that they are gods creations, and all this blah.blah,blah:Embarrassed:."Finally I turned to him and said, "duuude, the fish is gonna be let go, I catch and release fish, relax!" :Evil: Well let him go and off he went :Cool:. Then I went to the second jetty and stuck a near keeper halibut. I caught him on the pointer 100 american shad. It was cool too cause I saw him come out of the rocks and eat that bait!:Twisted: Also I had a good feeling about that particular jetty cause we saw bait fish being chased. When trying to release the fish I ended up loosing my lure too, ouch! Sucked too cause that particular bait already caught me two fish that day:Crying:. Now it was around 930 and we hit the pier. Rafeal ended up taking some mussels to use as bait for our trip to the pier. Caught a bunch of mackeral and smelt at the pier.

Then we took off and drove to some other spot that I didn't even know existed and fished off some rocks. Really quiet there and no one around. Fished there from about 5-7pm and I ended up hooking into a couple of small spotted bay bass. Rafeal hooked into something big on a Krokidle spoon. It ended up taking him into the rocks and breaking him off. I also lost a good one on a dropshot rig, which I should have used more in the surf, but I used it at this spot, pulled drag on me twice and broke me off:Evil:

Overall not a bad day, learned a lot and I think just being out there was the key. There was a thick marine layer until about 4pm too. I guess catching 6 differnt species of fish in a single day can be a plus too. i would also like to say that reading Sinjins reports helped, and also Wingnuts reports were informative as well as me bugging him threw pm's :Wink::Shocked::LOL: Thanks you two. I wish I could post some pics up but we left everything in car just in case of water damage or my clutzy butt falls in. :Embarrassed:

HESBROS
09-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Sounds like a great day in the Surf. I gotta try that next. WTG on getting some fish.

flyngby
09-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the report from the my favorite area to fish.

I have sure missed it the past few weeks.

Steve

Wingnut
09-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Wow, your first surf trip and you got Perch, Halibut, Leo and Spotted Bass! That's what I call a productive first outing... needless to say, you're hooked! :Wink: Took me a couple of months before I caught my first Flat Boy. :LOL: Very well done. :Cool:

troutdog
09-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Nice day out there Mike, congrats on your first trip out in the suds.

TD

legacy1
09-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Also when i brung him into shore some surfer dude was telling me that "I should let him go,and that they are gods creations, and all this blah.blah,blah

Great report! I brought in a leo in front of a surfer once; he helped me get the hook out and then kissed it's head :Rolls Eyes: and released it for me.

fishhard22
09-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Congrats on your first trip it sounded like an exciting one, awesome. Thats cool about your new species of fish you caught. Way to go on telling that surfer dude what's up haha

WARRIORMIKE
09-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Yea I had a blast out there. I am hooked and may be turning in my freshwater to saltwater. Just being out on the surf/water and just seeing what the possibilities are is awesome. In the past I've done many of charters,but never hit the surf, a really cool experience. :Cool::Razz:

Thanks everyone for the responses :Cool:

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Nice work there buddy.....nail them suckas....

I'll bet the fish on the croc was a WSB if you were fishing the bay side...

I was there yesterday and I saw many launching out of the water...

Congrats on the action..

We'd love ta see some pics next time....not quite the same w/o.

Good job,
Gary

WARRIORMIKE
09-29-2008, 01:03 PM
We'd love ta see some pics next time....not quite the same w/o.

Good job,
Gary

I know I feel the same,especially that being my first time. :Crying: