PDA

View Full Version : what kind of jigs work well with you?

glock19fullauto
09-27-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm going up to South lake with my dad in two weeks and I was wondering if anyone can share with me some good jigs I can work with? I'm definitely going to bring up some rapalas; and my panther martins. I bought these white stinger jigs I got at Turners. Hopefully I'll use it to good affect against some Browns at South lake, Weir pond and in the streams.

Bronzeback
09-27-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm going up to South lake with my dad in two weeks and I was wondering if anyone can share with me some good jigs I can work with? I'm definitely going to bring up some rapalas; and my panther martins. I bought these white stinger jigs I got at Turners. Hopefully I'll use it to good affect against some Browns at South lake, Weir pond and in the streams.

Any jig will work, I prefer the dark colors black, brown and olive. The micro jigs in the same colors are very effective fished under a bobber around the submerged boulder at the dam.

Secret tip: Troll a 1/4 oz. jiggin spoon (gay blade) along south shore.

billy b
09-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Wow ... I've been at this game for about 50 years or so ... and I can't keep up! If it's not too much trouble, could you explain some of what you wrote?

"Any jig will work, I prefer the dark colors black, brown and olive. The micro jigs in the same colors are very effective fished under a bobber around the submerged bolder at the dam.
Secret tip: Troll a 1/4 oz. jiggin spoon (gay blade) along south shore. "

I've got lots of 1/64/, 1/32 jigs ... is that what you mean by "micro jigs?" Are you suggesting putting a bubble (1/2 full?) or a bobber in front and trailing the jig behind? How long a leader would you suggest?

I have no clue what a jiggin spoon (gay blade) is. A "gay blade" to me was always a character from a romantic novel ... or maybe some of the folks I passed by in my old Hollywood days.

Bronzeback
09-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Wow ... I've been at this game for about 50 years or so ... and I can't keep up! If it's not too much trouble, could you explain some of what you wrote?

"Any jig will work, I prefer the dark colors black, brown and olive. The micro jigs in the same colors are very effective fished under a bobber around the submerged bolder at the dam.
Secret tip: Troll a 1/4 oz. jiggin spoon (gay blade) along south shore. "

I've got lots of 1/64/, 1/32 jigs ... is that what you mean by "micro jigs?" Are you suggesting putting a bubble (1/2 full?) or a bobber in front and trailing the jig behind? How long a leader would you suggest?

I have no clue what a jiggin spoon (gay blade) is. A "gay blade" to me was always a character from a romantic novel ... or maybe some of the folks I passed by in my old Hollywood days.

Micro jigs = 1/80-1/100 oz. maribou/bucktail jigs. Fished under a "mini" a-just-a-bubble. The Gay blade has been around for ever, it's is a vibrating jigging lure commonly used for deep water winter bass fishing, but makes a great trolling trout lure. (attached with snap at first hole on top of lure). I remove the front hook.

billy b
09-28-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm totally amazed ... never heard of or seen either ... and don't recall seeing them in any tackle shops ... particularly in the Sierras. THANKS for sharing.

Badfish2
09-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Yep, natural color jigs in the sierra work best during the day.. or mid day. Browns, whites, clears, greens,.. but when the sun is setting, or it's almost dark, put something bright on there, orange, yellow, etc.

cjschock
10-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Pearl white mini jigs have always worked well for me in the sierras. Also try putting on a tail with a powerworm. I like a red and white combo. Also orange and white can work well as the spawn is coming.

Beeracuda211
10-04-2008, 09:24 AM
YEAH, WHITES, BROWNS, OLIVES, BLACKS, AND EVEN ORANGE I FOUND OUT LAST TIME FROM MY FELLOW ASSOCIATE MR> FARMY MARSHALL HIMSELF WAS KILLIN IT ON ORANGINA...... :Big Grin:

GOOD LUCK

LURKERONLY

Koshaw
10-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Good luck up there! :D Tight lines!

Also hope the weather holds out!

:D Be sure to check the reports before you go and take chains.

glock19fullauto
10-04-2008, 08:48 PM
thanks, I'll be heading up early next week and the weather is forcast for sunny skies...for now. Thanks for all the info, I'll post pics and a report when I get back by Thursday

BakoBassin
10-05-2008, 11:02 AM
I have the best luck with very small, white crappie type jigs. The ones with the lead jig head inside the tube work best.

I usually have to figure out what the best presentation is depending on conditions.

These jigs seems to work very well when the trout are rising early and late. I like to use an erratic retrieve near the surface.

Badfish2
10-09-2008, 04:00 AM
Gitzit jigs are hit and miss too but they do work