PDA

View Full Version : Worst Overnight Experience...

EuN_TeK
09-27-2008, 10:45 AM
This was my first overnight trip and from what the people on the boat told me would probably be my worst. I booked a trip on the Pacific Queen at Fisherman's Landing in San Diego but the boat didn't fill up in time and so we were transferred over to the Prowler. In short, we stopped at four empty paddies within the first 2-3 hours. Then trolled the rest of the day for absolutely nothing. On top of all this, the deckhand who was supposed to be on the lookout for kelp paddies/porpoises was dozing off while on the crow's nest. Total count was ZERO for the entire boat. There should be some sort of compensation for this sort trip... The crew showed no effort in trying to catch fish... in fact, I could honestly say that the cook worked the hardest.

peezy
09-27-2008, 11:16 AM
I've had one of those trips to. Went on an overnighter and out of 20+ people we brought 1 alby and 1 yellow (both trolling).

However it was the best $180 cheeseburger I ever had!

HESBROS
09-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Thats a bummer of a trip. But, thats offshore fishing. I have had a few trips of where it was just a very long boat ride. But thats the way it goes when you go off shore. As for the look out in the crows nest....who knows....I am sure the capt and crew at the helm were looking too. I have actually had many o/n trips on the prowler and they are usually a good crew and boat.

k3vin_kim
09-27-2008, 01:02 PM
ouch... shabby.

sansou
09-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Sorry to hear about your first offshore experience being a "boat ride".

In all fairness, IMO, taking an overnighter out of SD at this stage of the season (with YFT in mind) is a total crapshoot. For an o/n trip they're having to jog pretty far right now if they want to get the right conditions etc...

Don't give up, and chalk this trip up to experience under the belt.

Think of it as +1 for the Fish Gods.....they owe you on the next one!

basscatcher
09-27-2008, 01:51 PM
that stinks the prowler is an awesome boat though try it agian in june or july they are usally on the fish.

God Bless

basscatcher

JapanRon
09-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Hi EuN TeK,

Soooo I'm thinking the next trip will be waaaaay better catch-wise ..... compared to a goose egg, Tuna trips ..... Off-shore trips ..... might as well consider it similar to setting aside XX amount of money to lose and time to spend in Las Vegas ... and take pleasure in whatever else happens on the trip !!

Good call by sansou IMO.

Better fun fishing and catching next time,

JapanRon

EuN_TeK
09-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Yea, it was just a bad day I guess. I knew the YFT were out of range seeing the 1.5 day trip is what's been producing those, but the overnighters seemed to be bringing in some yellowtail and dorado and even an occasional BFT. I was just hoping we'd do more paddy hopping since it was obvious trolling wouldn't produce. We had 26 pissed off fishermen thats for sure... I'm gonna try to get back out there next weekend for a 1.5 day trip and pray that the fish gods let up a little. I don't know what I've done wrong, but my last two saltwater trips have been a big fat stripe down the back.

Troutman65
09-27-2008, 02:47 PM
I have been on the Prowler before , 3 years ago. Great over night trip for me at the time. Hooked into Albacore, and Blue fin Tuna. Sorry your fishing trip was not productive to putting fish i8nto your sack. Sansou is "Spot On " about the crap shoot this time of year. Thanks for the post . Better luck next time :Wink:

Possman
09-27-2008, 04:16 PM
I went on the prowler a few weeks ago....thought it was a great boat....better luck next time...that's why they call it fishing not catching! At least you weren't at work!

WARRIORMIKE
09-27-2008, 05:51 PM
I thought this thread was about "worst overnight experience" at some females house. Before I started dating my wife I had many bad "worst overnight experiences"!!:Shocked::ROFL::ROFL:

Well it does suck thou about your experience with the boat trip.:Crying:

Ambassadorhawg
09-27-2008, 07:49 PM
First of all....exotics season is drawing to a rapid close. Nobody is doing much of anything, especially overnite boats. You need at least a 1 1/2 day trip to be able to get to the fish now. Personally, I'd wait til next year.

But the lazyness of the deck crew is something you should complain to the landing about. And you need to be firm to get somewhere with these people or else they may just brush you off. If they offer any sort of discounted return visit then you've proved your point to them. I am sure that the captain made whatever efforts he could from his position.

That's tuna fishing for you. The captain can't make them bite and there is almost nothing left to catch within range of the overnite boats. Next year, do your homework. Watch the fish counts for at least a week straight before you decide where and when to go. I've been on that boat before and had good success.

Use this link to watch the fish counts...

http://biteson.com/newlandings.html

dixoncider
09-27-2008, 09:35 PM
It could have been worst. At least you slowed down for a few paddies. Many trips never even stop.

Fishtaco
09-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Sorry to hear that your first trip was a dud. Chasing Tuna this late is the season is a hit or miss.

fishmaniac
09-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Just think...

You've got nowhere else to go but UP!

Next time you go, it's gonna be better and imagine how relieving and satisfying it will be getting on the fish!

Fish on!

jeff4321
09-28-2008, 04:41 PM
tough luck man.
I've had a trip like that before..

deanhall32
09-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Heck. With all this negativity thinking tuna season is over....I think I am going to go out on the Pacific Voyager Friday night for a 1 1/2 day tuna slaying session. I will post a report with pictures when I get back.

P.S. Anybody want to go? They are taking 24 anglers and there are 17 spots open as of tonight which is Sunday. The boat is out of Seaforth Landing.

supasportkid
09-28-2008, 07:29 PM
that sucks! sorry to hear about that

Ricky-Ray
09-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your trip but like some of the other guys have said, that's tuna fishing. Your basically trolling all day looking for either the school of tuna or the porpoises. It's either a hit or miss. Hopefully you'll have better luck on your next trip.

samgann93
09-28-2008, 09:51 PM
those trips happen but definetly dont blame the prowler because their an awesome boat..

Stormcrow
09-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Dude that suxxors. Hang in there. Sansou is right, The fish gods owe you one now.

dirty girl
09-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Heck. With all this negativity thinking tuna season is over....I think I am going to go out on the Pacific Voyager Friday night for a 1 1/2 day tuna slaying session. I will post a report with pictures when I get back.

P.S. Anybody want to go? They are taking 24 anglers and there are 17 spots open as of tonight which is Sunday. The boat is out of Seaforth Landing.

im looking for a 1.5 overnight targeting tuna leaving thrs night, fish friday for me and my 11 year old. any suggestions?

keepin it dirty,
dirty girl

ghetto dad
09-30-2008, 05:30 PM
im looking for a 1.5 overnight targeting tuna leaving thrs night, fish friday for me and my 11 year old. any suggestions?

keepin it dirty,
dirty girl
check the rendevous xy....peace

GD

Ambassadorhawg
09-30-2008, 06:18 PM

What happened to your trip??? Seaforth does not show that this trip ever even went???