PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra Tips for Fall Fattys Oct 3-6-Sierra Smitty?

SurfSpot
09-25-2008, 08:31 AM
There will be fifteen of us heading up to Bishop for my bros bachelor party. We choose mammoth over a surf trip "not as cheap". This is my fifth time this year fishing eastern sierra. I have been killing the trout all year, but no 6+ lbs. Hey Sierra Smitty do you have 2 pontoon boats available for Friday Oct. 3? Any advice on catching some fall fatties? The back cove is the best place to fish right? The complete other intake from the boat dock? I know were fishing lower Owens on Saturday, right were the river drops into crowley for some big browns. I usually use lip rippers, thomas buy, inflated nities, yellow pb and kastmasters. All take all your advice fellas. Have a good one. Angels vs. Cubs- World Series "sick"

Later bras

dan

BudBundy
09-25-2008, 10:36 AM
DOdgers vs Angels world series son

SurfSpot
09-25-2008, 03:50 PM

You got half of it right. Dodgers are cool man, but you have to be real with it. Dodgers are sub-par the same old same old. Horrible on the road, oh yea they wont have home field advantage. They would not be able to hit cubs pitching, if their whole staff turned into jim abbott, Zambrano, Harden, Dempster, Lilly, and Marquis at home, 0-2 right out the gate. Hope fully the dodgers wont shake the hands of the opponents after this loss. I would like to see it, but it is not happening this year.

Sierra_Smitty
09-25-2008, 03:54 PM
I do have two pontoons available for Friday October 3rd...give us a buzz at 760-873-4177 if you'd like to reserve them.

As for the fishing - hot spots at South, especially in the fall are the Rock Slide, any of the three inlets, the dam and the channel between the island and the east shore. A variety of techniques will work but I usually stick with pastics (Powerworms, Lip Ripperz, Mini-Jigs and the new Gulp Trout Worms are pretty sick). Fly-lined crawlers in the shallows, inflated crawlers off the bottom, gulp eggs or a combination of a gulp egg and a powerworms are the best still fishing methods. Trolling isn't the best bet for the big ones late in the fall unless you're banking on the off chance that you hook a monster brown. Thomas Bouyants, Rapalas & Kastmasters and the best for lure tossers. The truth is that the above suggestions not only work at South Lake but work pretty much everywhere in the Sierra in my experience.

If you want the big fish - cast to the big fish. Sight fishing, especially in clear lakes like South or Sabrina can be extremely productive - just ask Ryguy. It's also a good idea to chat up the guy at the dock when you pick up your boat. The guys at the landing know better than anyone else on earth where the big fish are being seen, being caught, what they're caught on and when in the day they're being caught. Just today I went to the back of South Lake for some pictures and there were three boats anchored up in areas that I know do not hold fish (maybe a cruiser here or there but thats it) despite the advice given by the staff at South. I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that they didn't fare well.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Smitty

SurfSpot
09-25-2008, 04:00 PM
I do have two pontoons available for Friday October 3rd...give us a buzz at 760-873-4177 if you'd like to reserve them.

As for the fishing - hot spots at South, especially in the fall are the Rock Slide, any of the three inlets, the dam and the channel between the island and the east shore. A variety of techniques will work but I usually stick with pastics (Powerworms, Lip Ripperz, Mini-Jigs and the new Gulp Trout Worms are pretty sick). Fly-lined crawlers in the shallows, inflated crawlers off the bottom, gulp eggs or a combination of a gulp egg and a powerworms are the best still fishing methods. Trolling isn't the best bet for the big ones late in the fall unless you're banking on the off chance that you hook a monster brown. Thomas Bouyants, Rapalas & Kastmasters and the best for lure tossers. The truth is that the above suggestions not only work at South Lake but work pretty much everywhere in the Sierra in my experience.

If you want the big fish - cast to the big fish. Sight fishing, especially in clear lakes like South or Sabrina can be extremely productive - just ask Ryguy. It's also a good idea to chat up the guy at the dock when you pick up your boat. The guys at the landing know better than anyone else on earth where the big fish are being seen, being caught, what they're caught on and when in the day they're being caught. Just today I went to the back of South Lake for some pictures and there were three boats anchored up in areas that I know do not hold fish (maybe a cruiser here or there but thats it) despite the advice given by the staff at South. I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that they didn't fare well.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Smitty

Cool thanks for that Smitty, I will call to reserve the boats. Yea I have seen some nice ones swimming around. How is Weir Pond right now? I was thinking of hitting the pond. We only have one pair of waders. Is the water not to cold for a wetsuit and some botties? Thanks for your help bro

DCCTrouserTrout
09-25-2008, 07:01 PM
You got half of it right. Dodgers are cool man, but you have to be real with it. Dodgers are sub-par the same old same old. Horrible on the road, oh yea they wont have home field advantage. They would not be able to hit cubs pitching, if their whole staff turned into jim abbott, Zambrano, Harden, Dempster, Lilly, and Marquis at home, 0-2 right out the gate. Hope fully the dodgers wont shake the hands of the opponents after this loss. I would like to see it, but it is not happening this year.

yeah, I think they have more talent on this team then they have had for a long time. If anyone can pull something outta their butt, it is them. Don't get me wrong, I have been a fan a long time and I know they can biff it bad... ha ha But I have faith. Remember the Giants in football last year? who would of thought??? Crazy things happen in sports.

Badfish2
09-25-2008, 09:31 PM

Not even close bub. Dodgers can barely squeeze out a .500 season more or less get to the world series. Cubs Angels no doubt

troutdog
09-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Smitty knows best, plastics are the ticket!

I love how this thread turned into a baseball debate :LOL:

TD

Faulter_Mike
09-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Baseball: ha! assuming the angels don't get swept in the first round, right? It's all about the streak you bring into the playoffs. Dodgers have the best record in baseball for this month man, 16-5. Remember the Rockies last year? World series bound, I say. I bleed blue though so I suppose I'm biased.

Fishing: Good advice smitty, I concur. But i suck at fishing, so what do i know?