PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire 5/30.....

reckless_m@
05-30-2007, 07:03 PM
LIGHT load today.....only 7 anglers on the boat today. We almost didnt make it out because of that, but capt Jeff decided to go ahead and fish, but just stay local. Beginning of the morning we scouted around to try and locate the squid or the barracuda that have been spotted up around the area. No go on either, only a pretty nice thresher that was tailing the surface that didnt want anything to do with us. We made our way north and wound up rock-coddin the rest of the day since everything else is pretty slow. Setup a few drifts and it was a slow pick through out the day. I was slayin the ***** out of the boccacio and picked up the JP with a fat 8#. Count for the day for me was 9 boccacio, 2 cannaries, a barberpole, and a bunch of baby floaters. Most of the fish were nice sized 2#-8#ers and they seemed to want the fin bait. Only a couple small fish on squid and I got a few fish on the gulp! 4in shrimp and 3in squid. The medium sized dines or larger chovies were the hot ticket.

BTW - A few anglers wound up empty handed.....heres the secret: if you aint gettin bit, change your bait. If your still not gettin bit, the most lively dine or big chovie will get you a bite. Guys didnt understand why me and a couple other guys were killin em, but its those simple things people overlook. Not rushing over to the side where im fishing at....some cattle boat people are just loco anyways. :D

hakaveli
05-30-2007, 08:02 PM
nice job on the jackpot man

ghetto dad
05-30-2007, 08:44 PM
LIGHT load today.....only 7 anglers on the boat today. We almost didnt make it out because of that, but capt Jeff decided to go ahead and fish, but just stay local. Beginning of the morning we scouted around to try and locate the squid or the barracuda that have been spotted up around the area. No go on either, only a pretty nice thresher that was tailing the surface that didnt want anything to do with us. We made our way north and wound up rock-coddin the rest of the day since everything else is pretty slow. Setup a few drifts and it was a slow pick through out the day. I was slayin the ***** out of the boccacio and picked up the JP with a fat 8#. Count for the day for me was 9 boccacio, 2 cannaries, a barberpole, and a bunch of baby floaters. Most of the fish were nice sized 2#-8#ers and they seemed to want the fin bait. Only a couple small fish on squid and I got a few fish on the gulp! 4in shrimp and 3in squid. The medium sized dines or larger chovies were the hot ticket.

BTW - A few anglers wound up empty handed.....heres the secret: if you aint gettin bit, change your bait. If your still not gettin bit, the most lively dine or big chovie will get you a bite. Guys didnt understand why me and a couple other guys were killin em, but its those simple things people overlook. Not rushing over to the side where im fishing at....some cattle boat people are just loco anyways. :D

you are, by far, the salmon grouper king!! thanks for the report man!!! get a camera!! :D

victor101
05-30-2007, 09:42 PM
nice job on the grouper. the lively bait always kills em. btw isnt there a 1 bocaccio limit you can keep? last time i was on the spitfire, guys were keeping 2 or 3 without the crew letting them know about the limit.

reckless_m@
05-30-2007, 11:04 PM
nice job on the grouper. the lively bait always kills em. btw isnt there a 1 bocaccio limit you can keep? last time i was on the spitfire, guys were keeping 2 or 3 without the crew letting them know about the limit.

Thats what I was unsure of as well. I dont fish rock cod very often and I know the rules and laws change throughout the year. Can anyone confirm?

n1ckxlam
05-30-2007, 11:58 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock:

"The recreational fishery for rockfish (Sebastes sp.) is open to boat-based anglers from March 1, 2007 through December 31, 2007. These species may only be taken or possessed4 in waters less that 360 feet (60 fathoms) deep (except in the Cowcod Conservation Areas – see below). The fishery for these species is open year-round to divers2 and shore-based anglers. The daily bag and possession limit is 10 fish in combination of all species within the RCG Complex (includes all species of Rockfish, Cabezon and Greenlings) per person, with a sub-limit on bocaccio (1 per person, minimum size limit of 10 inches total length, also included in the 10 fish RCG Complex aggregate limit). Yelloweye rockfish, canary rockfish and cowcod may not be retained (bag limit: zero). "

excerpt from
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mapregs5.html#rockfish_open

Dude,
you cant keep canaries at all man,
not only that the bocaccio is at a 1 fish limit,
and you overshot your 10 fish total rockfish limit with 10 extra illegal fish...

the deckies should have checked your bag, but next time you probably should check the regs on what you're fishing for :(

Nick

reckless_m@
05-31-2007, 12:21 AM
***** honestly I didnt know.:shock: Im a lmb and swb CPR type of guy so now I feel bad. I just looked on the DFG site though and I dont think what we caught were "canaries".....I just overheard people call them that, because the pics look completely different. The boccacio/salmon grouper thing idk, but the spitfire has always been a class act good crew and the work hard to get you on the fish. Its the only local 3/4 boat I got on since danny sold the premier. :D

reckless_m@
05-31-2007, 12:23 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock:

"The recreational fishery for rockfish (Sebastes sp.) is open to boat-based anglers from March 1, 2007 through December 31, 2007. These species may only be taken or possessed4 in waters less that 360 feet (60 fathoms) deep (except in the Cowcod Conservation Areas – see below). The fishery for these species is open year-round to divers2 and shore-based anglers. The daily bag and possession limit is 10 fish in combination of all species within the RCG Complex (includes all species of Rockfish, Cabezon and Greenlings) per person, with a sub-limit on bocaccio (1 per person, minimum size limit of 10 inches total length, also included in the 10 fish RCG Complex aggregate limit). Yelloweye rockfish, canary rockfish and cowcod may not be retained (bag limit: zero). "

excerpt from
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mapregs5.html#rockfish_open

Dude,
you cant keep canaries at all man,
not only that the bocaccio IS at a 1 fish limit,
and you overshot your 10 fish total rockfish limit by a whole bunch

the deckies should have checked your bag, but next time you probably should check the limits on what you're fishing for :(

Nick

damn .........believe me if I knew we were gonna be rockfishing I would have stayed home.

Monkeerow
05-31-2007, 02:19 AM
thats baloney. spitfire used to be one of the honest boats. now letting customers keeping over their limits? Not even that, staying local just because they only have 7 people, despite all the squid action thats going on...but that happens all the time anyway right? :shock:

ghetto dad
05-31-2007, 07:18 AM
did they clean all your grouper for you!!!!! :shock:

Funjunkie74
05-31-2007, 07:44 AM
I have a feeling that maybe they weren't bocaccio.
Reds and Bocs are easy to get mixed up...they're both big and red. Without pics we could debate this all day!!

I've also noticed that DFG has been really strict lately and boarding more boats to inspect lately. (Anyone else notice this?) So it doesn't make any sense at all for the Spitfire to risk being over limit on bocs for 7 guys!

Also, maybe the canary RF were actually starrys??

TAKE PICTURES WHEN YOU POST!!

ghetto dad
05-31-2007, 07:54 AM
Reds and Bocs are easy to get mixed up...they're both big and red. Without pics we could debate this all day!!

I've also noticed that DFG has been really strict lately and boarding more boats to inspect lately. (Anyone else notice this?) So it doesn't make any sense at all for the Spitfire to risk being over limit on bocs for 7 guys!

I dont know fun, its kinda hard to NOT tell the difference.....imo...peace

Funjunkie74
05-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Reckless_M!! POST THE PICTURES! (IF YOU HAVE ANY!!)

Ghetto, my point was that the deckhands wouldn't have any problems making the differentiation but (depending on how much rockfishing Reckless_M does) could be an error in the naming of the fish. I highly doubt that a well known boat like the Spitfire would allow such a blatant miss count of Bocs. You know?

It's hard to believe that with the internet and sites like this that cattle boats would risk bringing the wrong kind of attention to themselves by doing a really stupid thing like exceeding the limit by 10x's!!

But bottom line: We could have this debate forever. Since none of us were there. The only device that can clear all of this is....yep....PICTURES!!!

:twisted:

ONEKID
05-31-2007, 09:49 AM
I say the "9 boccacio and 2 cannaries" are more like 3 bocaccio 3 vermillion 3 starries and 2 misc rockies or somethin like that. Still over limit on the boc's, but if some anglers on the boat got skunked, that explains why the deckies didn't say anything about the 3 or 4 boc's.

ONEKID
05-31-2007, 09:51 AM
I say the "9 boccacio and 2 cannaries" are more like 3 bocaccio 3 vermillion 3 starries and 2 misc rockies or somethin like that. Still over limit on the boc's, but if some anglers on the boat got skunked, that explains why the deckies didn't say anything about the 3 or 4 boc's.

ghetto dad
05-31-2007, 10:33 AM
YEAH, I WOULD THINK THAT THE SPITFIRE WOULDNT DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT....I HAVE KNOWN JEFF AWHILE (HAVENT SEEN HIM IN AWHILE), BUT I DONT THINK HE WOULD GO FOR THAT CRAP ON HIS BOAT....THATS WHAY I ASKED IF THEY CREW CLEANED 9 FOR ONE PERSON....THEN THATS A DIFFERENT STORY......

victor101
05-31-2007, 04:42 PM
i was on the spitfire not too long ago and i saw people keeping 2,3 groupers a piece. and i heard neither the deckhands or the captain say anything about the limit. i cought two myself but i gave one away so someone who didnt catch any. i was talking to one of the regulars and he says the crew dont give a daym. lol..so i was like...ok.

ONEKID
05-31-2007, 04:46 PM
that doesnt make any sense... It' not like they can put the extra boc's on the fish count. If they were shorts, I can understand the crew taking the chance to let people keep shorts (for instance, they might let you keep short calicos to inflate the fish count) but keeping overlimit doesnt do anything!! It's a high risk no reward situation!!

victor101
05-31-2007, 04:49 PM
i went on sunday the 27th...they dont report the bocs seperate. they include them in the rockfish count

http://spitfiresportfishing.com/fishreport.htm

ONEKID
05-31-2007, 04:52 PM
ohhh..man..there's the loophole...

Monkeerow
05-31-2007, 05:04 PM
the lesson here is boys and girls, is to never go rockfishing. 8) boring as heck anyway.

hakaveli
05-31-2007, 05:05 PM
the lesson here is boys and girls, is to never go rockfishing. 8) boring as heck anyway.

i feel ya boring as hell

victor101
05-31-2007, 05:16 PM

i feel ya boring as hell

yes...boring at times but....
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/homer_drool.gif
is goood!

hakaveli
05-31-2007, 05:21 PM

i feel ya boring as hell

is goood!

haha drollllllllll

fish4keep
05-31-2007, 05:23 PM

I dont know fun, its kinda hard to NOT tell the difference.....imo...peace

Ditto....

Both (red and boc) are very easily to tell the difference between the two. The only thing was ignorance on both party (angler and sport boat). Yes, the deckies/captn should've said something but oneself must at least also know the rules. The deckies/captn will not be able to see all the fish coming over the rail. If you don't know what type fish and limit, ask. If the person you ask don't know, don't keep it.

rusty6
05-31-2007, 06:12 PM
i dunno about you guys buit the last time i was on the spitfire, they made everyone throw away dead and dying groupers if you were over the limit

ghetto dad
05-31-2007, 06:14 PM
i dunno about you guys buit the last time i was on the spitfire, they made everyone throw away dead and dying groupers if you were over the limit

thats what they are supposed to do...

reckless_m@
05-31-2007, 06:26 PM

i feel ya boring as hell

is goood!

YUP YUP, honestly I thought we would either be pulling on those humboldts or running over to Cat, but that wasnt in the cards. Once again though jeff, brian, stev-o and the even the other boats outta redondo sportfishing are class act operations. We caught a couple short lings and made sure to throw em back and we tossed back all the dink rockfish. Im guessing they just used all the fish I caught toward the entire boat count. I only kept a couple fish for tacos and gave the rest to the boat to give out to others.

Hell props goes out to the city of redondo....they couldnt run the boat tues because of lack of customers, but they still ran with the crew to get in on the squid! Youll notice in the counts they had "3" anglers. True fisherman!

rockbass
05-31-2007, 07:29 PM
I had thought that the regs had recently changed regarding cattleboat limits, that you can now 'share' fish, i,e, if you are at your limit you can now stuff another bag; maybe this has made the '1 per angler' rule more lax on the moo-moo? Just guessing here....... :?

lubemanone
05-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Is there a good site on the net for pictorial reference?

ghetto dad
05-31-2007, 09:55 PM
wtf, i just noticed...CANARIES???? Since when could you keep those??? Last year, they were OFF LIMITS!!! even i cant keep up..heres a link homie!!
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/Mrd/msfindx2.html

ghetto dad
05-31-2007, 09:59 PM
salmon grouper
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/mspc046.jpg
vermillion (red)
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/mspc058.jpg

ghetto dad
05-31-2007, 10:01 PM
they ARE closed all year!!

n1ckxlam
06-01-2007, 12:32 AM
http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/groundfish/RockfishGuide/images/Scorpaenidae/pinnigerUW.jpg

there's your canary.

check w. the id, maybe they were identified wrong? im hoping anyways

Ya I know some boats fish by boat limit rather than person to person. Some captains let customers fish off of the crew limits.

Oz
06-01-2007, 12:44 AM
i see this year bocaccio are 2 bag limit..last year it was 1 i believe or thats what the deck hands told us everytime i was on a boat.

ghetto dad
06-01-2007, 07:31 AM
last year on the erna b, we drifted over this rock, all 12 of us went BENDO, all fishing 2 hooks each, and EACH HOOK HAD AN 8-10 LB CANARY ON IT!!!! NEEDLESS TO SAY, WE ALL TO TO TOSS THEM BACK DEAD!!! APPX 200-240 LBS OF FISH WASTED !!! GRRRRRRR!!! THEN WE HAD TO LEAVE CUZZ THE CAPT SAID THAT I GUESS THESE ARE ALL CANARIES, ITS WAS SOLID ON THE METER!!!! :evil:

JapanRon
06-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Hi reckless_m@,

Good job on the report and glad you had a decent time. JP !!!

JapanRon